Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimjo

missing geocoins&travelbugs

6 posts in this topic

Every year lots of tb's and geocoins go missing mostly through new cachers starting out and then giving up after making one or two finds. It is very frustrating not to mention costly for the owners who have to replace the items. My own situation is that having released a geocoin here in the UK, it managed to travel all the way to Oz before disappearing into the hands of a cacher who gave up after 3 finds. If anyone spots a Help for Heroes geocoin, code [removed by moderator], please let me know and set it off on its return to the UK. Many thanks

Edited by jimjo

Every year lots of tb's and geocoins go missing mostly through new cachers starting out and then giving up after making one or two finds. It is very frustrating not to mention costly for the owners who have to replace the items. My own situation is that having released a geocoin here in the UK, it managed to travel all the way to Oz before disappearing into the hands of a cacher who gave up after 3 finds. If anyone spots a Help for Heroes geocoin, code (xxxxxx), please let me know and set it off on its return to the UK. Many thanks

You really shouldn't post the tracking number in the forums... or other places for that matter.

It would be advisable to edit it out. Use the Reference number instead if you want folks to see the page.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks for responding. I haven't had occasion to post anything before. My main point to all of our fellow cachets is- by all means introduce friends and family to the hobby, but please keep an eye on what they are doing until they get more experienced. Thanks for editing out the tracking no, I will post the ref no shortly.

this is frustrating I have had a travel bug picked up and never logged again I have 3 missing now and 2 that I bought for my grand son's they traveled overseas before going missing , I am not going to bother purchasing more

It's frustrating from a playing perspective too.

Back when I was new to this, I found my first trackable. I was very excited and moved it on right away. I logged everything properly and then waited. And waited. 6 months later, I've now discovered that it is no longer in the cache where I left it. But whoever took it has not left a record of doing so.

Im finding that I feel responsible for this even though I did everything right.

Hope it shows up again sometime.

I quickly learned not to send out trackables I don't want to go missing. On the webpage I have a nice photo of the coin or trackable. I replace it and with an engraved dog tag and attach a cheap hitchhiker. If it goes missing I can send out another. Everyone benefits. I have noticed that if it's too pretty it is likely to go missing. I love seeing nice coins etc but dislike it when they go missing, it's very sad, but if the alternative is a dog tag then I am happy with that, it's just a bit of extra fun to add to the game. It shouldn't matter to you as the owner as you won't see what it looks like after it's in the wild.