placing caches in Michigan

4thnoel

I need help from anyone that has placed caches in MI. I have contacted someone in the DNR and I was told by one that I have to get a permit (which is fine) but it is only good for 3 months. Then cache has to be removed. Another said it is 1 year then it has to be removed. So why bother? Who do I contact and what am I doing wrong that I cannot seam to get the point across that I want it out for at least 5-10 years!!! :blink:

I need help from anyone that has placed caches in MI. I have contacted someone in the DNR and I was told by one that I have to get a permit (which is fine) but it is only good for 3 months. Then cache has to be removed. Another said it is 1 year then it has to be removed. So why bother? Who do I contact and what am I doing wrong that I cannot seam to get the point across that I want it out for at least 5-10 years!!! :blink:

Try contacting your local Reviewer. Hopefully, he/she will be up-to-date on such things and be able to advise you.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.10. Finding your Local Reviewer

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=200

Barbara

Just where is it that you are trying to place a geocache? It matters.....

Michigan has no specific rules, regulations or policies regarding geocaches, as a whole.

If you are trying to place a geocache in a Michigan State Park, you need to contact THAT Park Administrator... not the DNR in general -- there are too many Divisions to enumerate each of them. You are bound to get differing responses.

If it is a Designated Wilderness Area... forget it and move along.

Much of public land in the U.P. (where you reside) is Federal Land (USFS)... over which the MDNR has little, if any control.

You should ascertain exactly who has control over the land upon which you wish to place a hide. The USFS is fairly easy-going at allowing cache placement... with some exceptions. Example: Grand Island is an exception -- no geocache placements allowed.

In general, (MI) State Forests, the policy too, is pretty easy-going.

If you play around trying to get (good) answers from lower-level employees, you will get the run-around.

Your reviewer would be of great assistance to you in this matter. They (local reviewers) know the policies and practices of most all locations. Contact one of them.

thank you for the information, I just wanted to put some around my area on public land just to get some out here. I have 5 in my zip code. One place is just a little way side. Nothing in a major park or landmark area.

Just where is it that you are trying to place a geocache? It matters.....

Michigan has no specific rules, regulations or policies regarding geocaches, as a whole.

If you are trying to place a geocache in a Michigan State Park, you need to contact THAT Park Administrator... not the DNR in general -- there are too many Divisions to enumerate each of them. You are bound to get differing responses.

If it is a Designated Wilderness Area... forget it and move along.

Much of public land in the U.P. (where you reside) is Federal Land (USFS)... over which the MDNR has little, if any control.

You should ascertain exactly who has control over the land upon which you wish to place a hide. The USFS is fairly easy-going at allowing cache placement... with some exceptions. Example: Grand Island is an exception -- no geocache placements allowed.

In general, (MI) State Forests, the policy too, is pretty easy-going.

If you play around trying to get (good) answers from lower-level employees, you will get the run-around.

Your reviewer would be of great assistance to you in this matter. They (local reviewers) know the policies and practices of most all locations. Contact one of them.