Two trackables tied together?

Suzaquz

New geocacher here.

I recently found two trackables on a keychain. I left it at the cache site, because I was unsure how to proceed. They two separate trackables attached to a non-trackable keychain. Does the owner of these trackables want them to travel together? I don't see the point. Wouldn't you want them to be separated and travel to different places?

I just thought that I would ask experienced geocachers what to do if this happens again. Luckily, there was another trackable, which I grabbed. It is my first, and I am so excited to take it to another locations.

Thanks!

~Suzaquz

You can discover both of them, you can grap both of them and you can that drop off both of them.

Unless you separate them you can't drop off them separately... You should contact both owners, maybe the toy from one of them is lost and someone has attached the dog tag to another TB...

I don't see any trackable ever having been in your inventory.

If you picked one up, it should be logged. Simply "grabbing" it is not how it is done.

Retrieved -- picked up from a cache that it has been logged into:

Grabbed (from...) -- picked up in any manner other than Retrieved:

Discovered -- seen, but not picked up:

Placed -- dropped off into another cache hide:

Visit(ed) -- taken to, but not "Placed" into another cache:

Note -- any info added to the trackable page other than the above logs.

You need to use the tracking code of the item for any of those log entries other than for a "Note".

If you have the trackable in possession, then you have the tracking code.

Not properly logging a trackable is the primary reason they get lost. Lord knows, there are lots of lost trackables.

Let me try to clairfy.

I found a cache.

There were 3 trackables in the box.

*Two different TBs that were linked on the same keychain, that I did not take. I came to this forum to ask what to do in this situation.

*One TB that I did take and just tracked on my computer. I just retrieved it about 8 hours ago.

Next time just take them. Others probably also hesitated to take them, which could result in the TBs getting stuck together in that cache until it gets muggled / burned by vulcano / strike by meteorite (whichever comes first).

I disagree.

If one is UNSURE of what to do. Do nothing. It is a busy cache, somebody who knows exactly what to do will be along before too long.

IMO, the OP did right by not taking what they were unsure of.

Next time just take them. Others probably also hesitated to take them, which could result in the TBs getting stuck together in that cache until it gets muggled / burned by vulcano / strike by meteorite (whichever comes first).

I disagree.

If one is UNSURE of what to do. Do nothing. It is a busy cache, somebody who knows exactly what to do will be along before too long.

IMO, the OP did right by not taking what they were unsure of.

+1

I agree the OP did a good thing here. I also saw this once before, two TBs with quite different traveling companions chained together with no indication on the pages that they were supposed to be or stay that way. I contacted one of the Owners, who confirmed that they and the other owner intended both to remain together, so I logged both and moved it/them along. Odd, but not unheard of.

If one is UNSURE of what to do. Do nothing.

What? There is no reason not to take a trackable unless perhaps it has a note with it declaring a goal that we do not want to participate in.

If OP had grabbed the two then they would have found out if there is a goal when they logged them. If neither trackable has instructions that they should stay together then the person picking up the trackables is free to separate them or keep them together for the move to the next cache.

I would take them, look up their goals, find out when they were connected, ask the owners if they want them connected, then release them accordingly. It is possible it was something as simple as the last cacher not wanting to lose them, or forget to drop them, so he/she clipped them together for the backpack ride, and forgot to disconnect them when they were dropped off. Did they have the same, or separate owners? And were both owners in agreement to them being attached to each other? Those are the questions you would need to have answered.