Submitting new caches- co-ordinates changing

Bessieboots

I am submitting some new caches but when I insert the co-ordinates and press " preview on map" the co-ordinates change.They are showing a location nearby but not my GZ.

I have no idea what is happening! Could it be Google Chrome or something else?

HELP!

Bessieboots <_<

Are you inputing them in the correct format???

Agreed. Checking for that is somewhat easy... are the digits the same or do they change...

That is: 12.34567 (DD.ddddd) as opposed to 12 34.567 (DD MM.mmm) in both cases... or do the numerals change value? That would indicate that some conversion of the numbers was happening rather than mis entering the numbers.

Given the UK location and some of the gallery shots, another thing would be to check the datum...

Geocaching uses WGS84 and I'm suspecting that a person there might use OS survey maps for navigation, and forgotten to switch datum while marking a cache... I've done that on other topo maps using NAD 27 for navigation aids... have to remember to switch the GPS back from time to time... most of those are disappearing nowadays.. slowly.

Doug 7rxc

Agreed. Checking for that is somewhat easy... are the digits the same or do they change...

That is: 12.34567 (DD.ddddd) as opposed to 12 34.567 (DD MM.mmm) in both cases... or do the numerals change value? That would indicate that some conversion of the numbers was happening rather than mis entering the numbers.

Given the UK location and some of the gallery shots, another thing would be to check the datum...

Geocaching uses WGS84 and I'm suspecting that a person there might use OS survey maps for navigation, and forgotten to switch datum while marking a cache... I've done that on other topo maps using NAD 27 for navigation aids... have to remember to switch the GPS back from time to time... most of those are disappearing nowadays.. slowly.

Doug 7rxc

Doug 7rxc

Doug ,

Thanks for your reply.

The numerals change value ...... I am definitely not mis- entering numbers as I check and double check. I use way point averaging on my GPS which also uses WGS84

Doug ,

Thanks for your reply.

The numerals change value ...... I am definitely not mis- entering numbers as I check and double check. I use way point averaging on my GPS which also uses WGS84

Ok... you've checked the format (DD MM.mmm), datum is WGS84 (GC standard).. but the numerals change on the map.

Was going to ask WHICH map, but I re read and assume it's in the create page as you said... preview.

Just for interest, which GPS do you use? Might help. Also have you tried seeing where your coordinates and the changed ones take you outside of GC pages... that is using Google Earth or Google Maps... I prefer GE since you can place map pins there for comparison. I wouldn't get too upset with any of the maps being a slight difference off since the photos don't always register well with reality. Many known locations (identifiable) on the map photo don't show right, and some are spot on. That and I'd check the GPS settings completely as far as I could... just to be sure. One feature of GE is the ability to switch formats around... you can enter the changed numerals to see where they take you and what they convert to. under options. I'll think some more.

If you want to keep things 'secret' you could use my profile to email me the two sets of coordinates so I can play... or use the PM 'envelope under my avatar here, I answer both... No need to reveal the cache location.. but I obviously can't see your project until it gets published... I do see that there have been some problems with the cache creation form recently, perhaps you are just caught in one of them... there have been comments on problems some have with figuring out the correct way to enter coordinates, and not from new cachers either...

Doug 7rxc

Doug,

Many thanks for the info and advice. The co-ordinates aren't that far out but a good idea to look on GE.

Yes, it was the map on geocaching.com when you insert co-ordinates to create a new cache.

Good , in a way , to know that there has been a problem with geocaching.com and submitting new caches.

Thanks for the offer of PM but I wouldn't want to waste your time.

😀

Doug,

Many thanks for the info and advice. The co-ordinates aren't that far out but a good idea to look on GE.

Yes, it was the map on geocaching.com when you insert co-ordinates to create a new cache.

Good , in a way , to know that there has been a problem with geocaching.com and submitting new caches.

Thanks for the offer of PM but I wouldn't want to waste your time.

😀

All I wanted to know was what (exactly) you were entering in, and what (exactly) it was changing to...

examining a problem is never a waste of time. So go ahead, it is MY time. Others might see something else, I just like 'problems', I treat them like puzzles for entertainment. Don't forget you GPS type (make, model) I can look up the manual if I don't know it already. Might be something in there, but I doubt it since it seems to be the site doing the change. Reproducing it would be a start... I know that the Lackeys would ask that as well. The aerial photos are known to put it out of position as I said, but what is changing the numbers?

That could be indicative of a more serious problem or just an offshoot of the fixing process..

So send away... no answers guaranteed though, I just like to play.

Doug 7rxc

Doug,

Ok I will do.It will be Wednesday before I get chance.5/6 caches out with only 2 needing editing after submission as a result of the co-ordinates change.

The remaining one , geocaching.com just sends me back to "start over" or edit when I try to submit! It is close yo another cache but I made sure it was more than 161m

away.

GPS is a garmin e- trex 30 and that has had it's problems........ Loading caches, switching it off until at the area to start caching only to find the GPS had decided niot to show them! It wasn't a GPS problem this time but the geocaching.com goblin playing with my co-ordinates!

Cachy thanks

Chris

Doug,

Ok I will do.It will be Wednesday before I get chance.5/6 caches out with only 2 needing editing after submission as a result of the co-ordinates change.

The remaining one , geocaching.com just sends me back to "start over" or edit when I try to submit! It is close yo another cache but I made sure it was more than 161m

away.

GPS is a garmin e- trex 30 and that has had it's problems........ Loading caches, switching it off until at the area to start caching only to find the GPS had decided niot to show them! It wasn't a GPS problem this time but the geocaching.com goblin playing with my co-ordinates!

Cachy thanks

Chris

Okay then... still not sure what is happening, but you can find what I was referring to in the General topics section Topic about Eliminating the Old Cache submission form. Think there are other topics about the rejection thing and locking up on here as well. As for the E30, that will help since I have the docs for the e10/20/30 GPS already, and know the 20 pretty good... aside from compass and alt.

You will probably attract a Lackey in the mean time... but I'll keep thinking. I DID re read one part of that thread that made it sound like you would get a RED proximity alert, but could bypass that and proceed until you could use the edit page. Not good to ignore totally though and submit for publication, just to save a draft to edit. I guess that would be on the preview map... or proximity map whatever they call it now. Reminds me I have to place a cache to see what the newest version looks like... only used the new one once. Mostly I just edit other peoples caches when they get problems... one local can't figure out editing at all, or maintenance logs. Sigh.

edit: Take a look at this other topic on this forum... Cache Submission Hang up

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Doug,

Thanks for all the advice. I have managed to submit the cache I was having problems with. It seems geocaching.com has sorted the problem with cganging co-ordinates as it didn't change them today. Whoop! Only thing is I am now unable to send you the info on changing co-ordinates.

The new submission form is easy ...... When it works properly!

Can't figure out editing?! Not maintaining drives me crazy!

I will take a look at the links you sent.

Happy caching!