@*#&$ Oregon 600 compass

It might help those interested in helping you to know a bit more about your circumstances. I personally haven't experienced any calibration issues of late.

What I would try:

1) make sure you have the latest software version installed.

2) check your routing settings. For geocaching make sure it's set to "Direct Route".

3) make sure your hand/arm isn't wrapped in any sort of metal. Hold the unit out away from you a bit.

That's all I got based on the info you've thus far provided.

Sorry your having trouble. I have had my Oregon 600 for 3 months and so far its been working good for geocaching. I'm running version 3.50 in mine. Before I bought my Oregon 600 I used a Garmin 60 CX for several years and had no trouble with the compass on it either but sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off getting the new 64s. I don't like touch screens. Only time I recalibrate the compass is when I change batteries.

What version of software are you running? Garmin corrected a problem with the compass in an update.

No, It's not being used in a vehicle. It doesn't matter where I am. if I select a different geocache or coordinates after finding one, I have to re-calibrate the compass.

Today I discovered a new issue that after using the wireless transfer between this unit and my wife's Etrex 30, my screen freezes and I have to turn it off and reset it.

After spending $400 on a unit, I expect better performance than the unit it's supposedly replacing!

Has this happened from the very start?

Have you installed the latest firmware updates?

On the surface, it sounds like a software issue that might have been worked out already. It could be a case of faulty hardware, in which case Garmin will replace the unit for you. But as this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem with the Oregon 600s, it's not a direct fault of Garmin.

Try a master reset. No guarantees, just another option worth trying.

Haven't tried that one yet but it's crossed my mind. How do you do it on these units?

From the Oregon 6xx Wiki:

How do I Master Reset my Oregon 6xx?

With the Oregon 6xx powered off, press and hold the user button and cycle the power button.

The Oregon 6xx will begin the boot process.

When prompted "Do you really want to erase all user data?", select [Erase]