Earthcaching

We finally visited White Sands. While there was a virtual and another earthcache there, the walk to Birth of a Dune was stunning.

55c56d38-d656-41d2-8c88-1153f78c519c_l.jpeg

One of the coolest earthcaches I've done was the one on Jockey's Ridge on the outer banks. The walk to the location was quite easy, but one of the requirements for logging was to capture the lat/long coordinates (and elevation if available) of the highest point on the dunes and post that information in your log. It was interesting to look through previous logs and see just how fast the dunes are changing. It's also the highest point on the island and offers a 360 degree view that includes the ocean and currituck sound.

One of the coolest earthcaches I've done was the one on Jockey's Ridge on the outer banks. The walk to the location was quite easy, but one of the requirements for logging was to capture the lat/long coordinates (and elevation if available) of the highest point on the dunes and post that information in your log. It was interesting to look through previous logs and see just how fast the dunes are changing. It's also the highest point on the island and offers a 360 degree view that includes the ocean and currituck sound.

I enjoyed that one very much myself, and took several good photos there. I did two last fall on up the coast near Corolla. B)

I enjoyed that one very much myself, and took several good photos there. I did two last fall on up the coast near Corolla. B)

It looks like there are 3 others in the Nags Head area now and a couple down near Hatteras. It's been quite a few years since I have been down there but we used to vacation there almost every year for about 8 years.

A couple of years ago, Ambrosia posted photos from the John Day Painted Hills.  I put that on my "must do" list and finally was able to detour there on our way home from the Oregon coast.

IMG_0382.thumb.JPG.f1a59df04656466794186af4f6026903.JPG

But it also allowed us to hike around and through the Blue Basin Loop at one of the other units of the John Day monument.   It was hard to choose between them so my recommendation is to do them both.  Thanks to Ambrosia for bringing this area to our attention.

IMG_0388.thumb.JPG.a447c200abc35b4550775cd097c01687.JPGIMG_0387.thumb.JPG.cf5d811c48479338ea7ef039d35f9003.JPG

• Upvote 2

The Machado Postpile is 13 million years old - it was more than ancient when Devils Postpile was formed.   It is an amazing experience to stand on them and contemplate their age.    But the story of its discovery is what intrigued me when we were kayaking and camping at Silver Lake in El Dorado County, California.    Jesse Machado discovered them in 1934 but kept them secret for decades - either to protect them or because he was antisocial.   Eventually he told the forest service but they could not find them and refused to believe him.   It was not until the early  1990s that a hiking couple confirmed his discovery.  

Today there is a route to the pinnacles marked by cairns, but we met people on the way back who had followed other cairns and were still only 2/3 of the way after 2.5 hours.    Not all ducks are equally helpful.   If you plan to go there watch a YouTube video by Lisa Michelle.

IMG_0609.thumb.JPG.d0e90ddd2dc0004ec63cc3d3c72e02c0.JPGIMG_0610.thumb.JPG.a49037b9466fc112747664530e1d214d.JPGIMG_0611.thumb.JPG.7bbe0582d880f61781fae564a970f106.JPG

On 5/15/2018 at 5:19 PM, geodarts said:

A couple of years ago, Ambrosia posted photos from the John Day Painted Hills.  I put that on my "must do" list and finally was able to detour there on our way home from the Oregon coast.

IMG_0382.thumb.JPG.f1a59df04656466794186af4f6026903.JPG

But it also allowed us to hike around and through the Blue Basin Loop at one of the other units of the John Day monument.   It was hard to choose between them so my recommendation is to do them both.  Thanks to Ambrosia for bringing this area to our attention.

IMG_0388.thumb.JPG.a447c200abc35b4550775cd097c01687.JPGIMG_0387.thumb.JPG.cf5d811c48479338ea7ef039d35f9003.JPG

That's great! I'm glad that you could enjoy it!