no caches shown on map

sayrahrah

For the second time in as many days, when we put in a search area, the list shows up but there are no geocaches shown when the map loads. I noticed that this problem was reported by some about one month ago and apparently was resolved then, but it's back! What can I do??

I have the same problem. First I thought it was a local issue, however elsewhere I had the same issue. It seems Internet Explorer 8 related, both happening under Windows XP and windows 7. The website loads as usualy, but teh map remains gray. It shows no details and no caches.

Hi,

I'm having problems with the maps. I'll click on 'map this location', and it will begin to load, but then only a few tiles will load, the side bar won't open (it changes colour when it's moused over). I've seen some mentions of this on the Forums from a some time ago, but I was able to use the maps when these people were reporting problems.

Probably just one of those passing issues.

I am also still having that problem. For the last couple of days, if I click on Geocaching.com Map from ANY cache page, I get the page that a map should be on, with no map and no caches. And, like the previous poster, clicking on the left side bar does nothing.

UPDATE... I turned off GC Little Helper and the map is working again. Perhaps that's where the problem is?

Edited by Ragfoot

Safari and Firefox latest versions OSX 10.9.2 no caches on map either... <_<

Update: I switched back to Safari to do some other work and left Firefox on a map page...about 15 minutes later I looked and the caches were up. Possible delay between the map and cache display engine?

Edited by JoenSue

Haven't been able to see caches on the maps at all today. Either on Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. Is there some setting, perhaps, that will fix this? Or a timing issue? Has geocaching.com responded at all on this?

I did notice that even though caches don't show up on the maps, when I run a Pocket Query based on that map, it does pull the queries. So I was able to load them into my GPS.

It would be nice to be able to see them on the map, though. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Edited by qtbluemoon

Having the same problem. So frustrating today as I have a shiny new GPS and a road trip planned. We don't cache a lot so I like to pick and choose by map location. Anyone help resolve this? Thanks.

It might be worth trying something:

•  
  • I use Opera v.12.16 as my web browser to use maps - I think it's possibly quite important that this is v.12 btw, although it might work with updated versions (they changed some stuff after v.12 that makes certain thinks work differently);
  • this still seems to work - for me anyway;
  • I **think** there may be a work around for the plugin issue also - but don't have a GPS device so can't test this...

So, Opera 12.16 can be downloaded for both Windows and Mac (and Linux...) at http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?ver=12.16 Fwiw it's a pretty good product imo.

Worth a try. I need to do a little exploring to see how the plugins work as well.

having same issue all of a sudden as well. anybody at Groundspeak have any ideas what's going on?

To be fair, it's the weekend - give them a chance next week :-)

I don't know, but it would seem to match with the timing of the switch to https protocol for the map pages. That might be the issue.

Btw, has anyone experiencing the problem tried clearing all cookies and any browser cache they have active? Or even logging out and logging in again on the site?

Edited by Blue Square Thing

Check if you are still logged in on geocaching.com

FYI: if you are not logged in, the geocaching.com maps does not show caches and stays grey.

Which is interesting, because that wasn't happening yesterday - I needed to check something and tried to view caches without being logged in.

And now I don't have any caches on any map at all (Opera, Safari and Chrome - on OS X) - so I imagine someone's been trying to solve the problem and seems to have made it worse - this happens sometimes I appreciate; maybe it'll get there later on.

Oh well, at least it doesn't show premium member caches on the maps when you're not logged in anymore I suppose...

Y'all have jinxed it for me.

Caches were showing up on the map just fine a few hours ago, now *poof*...they're gone.

ARGH!!!!!!

Trying to plan a geocaching trip for tomorrow, and this sucks.

No, please don't suggest a pq. We don't use pq's. I want to see the caches on the map in the area near our cache. PQ's just don't cut it.

B.

Add me to the growing list. Found on firefox this AM but now Evening, nothing on IE, Chrome, and Firefox. Tried the few things I know and nothing. I was having problems as well loading GC's to my Garmin as well. Hope this gets GC.com attention soon and gets fixed. Thanks.

Caches were showing up on the map just fine a few hours ago, now *poof*...they're gone.

ARGH!!!!!!

No, please don't suggest a pq. We don't use pq's. I want to see the caches on the map in the area near our cache. PQ's just don't cut it.

B.

Wow... you never heard of GSAK + Google_Map_V3 ?

It even show counties line and much much more.

Once I discovered it, I never went back. I will pull a bunch of cache in a general area via API and pull it all up on a map and there its.

Edited by SwineFlew

ARGH!!!!!!

Fortunately, it is working again.

But I agree. I use the maps to decide in which area to search for caches. Had a change of plans, and ended up at my friend's house. Yes. the GPS was loaded with files. We've found most of the caches in the area. Searching Gupy for a new area ten to fifteen miles away is very tough and not necessarily helpful. That's why we use the Geocaching maps. We ended up searching for two caches we DNFed last weekend, plus one in Secaucus. Still cannot find the one in Jersey City.

It seems to be spurious, and not surprisingly, it seems to happen especially on sunny Sunday afternoons in spring (northern hemisphere at least, where plenty of cachers live), when everybody wants to plan a day of caching.

Today too, it seems. Holiday Monday in Canada, maybe also the country next door, who knows? Ten minutes ago the map failed for me (no caches); tried again five minutes ago, and it worked.

In shorter words, it seems to be a server-meltdown thing. "Meltdown Sundays."

I run Windows 7 and IE 10. Mine show up fine. Check to make sure your Adobe Flash Player is the newest version. It should be 13. If there are any other versions there after you install 13 uninstall them in Programs control panel. Unchech any boxes checked on install or it install other programs too. It won't come up on my Android tablet, but did about a week ago.

Edited by EOMongeni

I run Windows 7 and IE 10. Mine show up fine. Check to make sure your Adobe Flash Player is the newest version. It should be 13. If there are any other versions there after you install 13 uninstall them in Programs control panel. Unchech any boxes checked on install or it install other programs too. It won't come up on my Android tablet, but did about a week ago.

The problem was on the Groundspeak side, not the client side, and has already been fixed (see Moun10Bike's post 4 posts up). The map doesn't use Flash anyway, so updating your Flash player wouldn't have had any effect.