Walk-in geocaching stores

I notice that there are now a few walk-in type geocaching stores. I know of four in the U.S.:

SpaceCoast Geocaching store, 860 N Banana River Dr Merritt Island, FL 32952

Tampa Bay Geocaching Store. 4710 Land o Lakes Blvd. suite 9, Land o Lakes , Fl. 34639

Gone Cachin' Geocaching Store, 15 Taylor St., Nashua, NH 03060

Cache Advance, 2324 E Euclid Ave #204, Spokane, WA 99207

Of course Groundspeak HQ also sells some retail items from its lobby, too.

I see this as a sign of the increasing popularity of geocaching. Shopping online generally works well, but sometimes it's fun to just browse products you can touch and see first-hand. It's especially good to be able to judge effectiveness of camouflage items in person. Unfortunately, none of these is close to me. Does anyone know of any other "brick and mortar" geocaching stores?

Edited by The Rat

I notice that there are now a few walk-in type geocaching stores. I know of four in the U.S.:

Tampa Bay Geocaching Store. 4710 Land o Lakes Blvd. suite 9, Land o Lakes , Fl. 34639

Do you know if they sell nano containers? I have a cache that is in a unique location and have tried containers larger than a nano but they've gone missing several times. It's currently missing so I need something to replaced it and a nano is probably the best container for this location. Since I don't cache much locally anymore I'm not hiding new caches so I really only need 1 and can't see placing a mail order for a single nano cache container.

Do you know if they sell nano containers? I have a cache that is in a unique location and have tried containers larger than a nano but they've gone missing several times. It's currently missing so I need something to replaced it and a nano is probably the best container for this location. Since I don't cache much locally anymore I'm not hiding new caches so I really only need 1 and can't see placing a mail order for a single nano cache container.

I assume you're referring to the NH store. I don't know, as I have never been there and have no relationship with them. You can find contact info for them on their facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GoneCachin) or web page (gonecachin.com). They aren't open every day, so check the hours.

I see this as a sign of the increasing popularity of geocaching. Shopping online generally works well, but sometimes it's fun to just browse products you can touch and see first-hand. It's especially good to be able to judge effectiveness of camouflage items in person. Unfortunately, none of these is close to me. Does anyone know of any other "brick and mortar" geocaching stores?

News to me, I only knew about Cache Advance and The Space Coast Geocaching Store. Good thing the title is "walk in Geocaching Stores" because Gone Cachin' most certainly looks to be located in a house in a residential neighborhood. :)

Yes, I most certainly see it as a sign of the increasing popularity of Geocaching.

For South San Francisco Bay geocachers, there is one right here in our backyard-- Treasure Hunters Headquarters, 83 S Main St, Milpitas. Mostly it is for metal detectors and related. Last time I was there they had a good selection of branded geocaching stuff, a little more than our local REIs. Plus a ton of stuff that is not gc labeled but can do geocaching duty.

I assume you're referring to the NH store. I don't know, as I have never been there and have no relationship with them. You can find contact info for them on their facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GoneCachin) or web page (gonecachin.com). They aren't open every day, so check the hours.

Actually, I was thinking of Groundspeak HQ. I'm going to be in Seattle in about three weeks.

For South San Francisco Bay geocachers, there is one right here in our backyard-- Treasure Hunters Headquarters, 83 S Main St, Milpitas. Mostly it is for metal detectors and related. Last time I was there they had a good selection of branded geocaching stuff, a little more than our local REIs. Plus a ton of stuff that is not gc labeled but can do geocaching duty.

I believe there have been several Geocachers who just happen to be small business store owners who stock some Geocaching stuff in their stores. For example, the Space Coast Geocaching store used to be, I kid you not, a automotive air conditioning parts store, who started a "Geocaching Section". Obviously they've since gone full-time Geocaching retailer, both mail order and the dedicated brick and mortar store. I seem to remember a hobby shop owner in Pittsburgh having a Geocaching section. Most REI's have had a small, overly priced Geocaching section since I'll bet about 2005.

I have to say though, Geocaching really fits in good with a mostly Metal detecting store called Treasure Hunters Headquarters. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

.... I really only need 1 and can't see placing a mail order for a single nano cache container.

Actually, I was thinking of Groundspeak HQ. I'm going to be in Seattle in about three weeks.

I was in the lobby there last year and I don't remember any nanos. It was mostly Groundspeak logo type stuff - hats, T-shirts, some ammo cans, lots of pins and geocoins. They didn't have a large variety of containers, but they may have had nanos.

.... I really only need 1 and can't see placing a mail order for a single nano cache container.

I was in the lobby there last year and I don't remember any nanos. It was mostly Groundspeak logo type stuff - hats, T-shirts, some ammo cans, lots of pins and geocoins. They didn't have a large variety of containers, but they may have had nanos.

I've said this a few times, half joking, half serious. The Greatest thing about Nanos is that they cost a few dollars and have to be mail ordered. Can you imagine if they were free and readily available like film canisters? :ph34r:

Well, it could just be me, but the waters are getting muddied here. What is a "walk in Geocaching store", by definition? We have 5 candidates, but two of them are in people's houses. If you want to talk brick and mortar stores in commercial retail space, we have 3; Space Coast, Cache Advance and the Tampa Bay Geocaching Store. The last of which, I had no idea existed.

The Gone Cachin store in Nashua NH - definitely has all types of nano's. Somewhat nearby is an awesome cache also (top NH favorite) called Nashuan's First Cache - GC1D56C.

Springcat

The Gone Cachin store in Nashua NH - definitely has all types of nano's. Somewhat nearby is an awesome cache also (top NH favorite) called Nashuan's First Cache - GC1D56C.

Springcat

That's good to know but that's about 250 miles from me and I'm going to be in downtown Seattle for three days in June.

That's good to know but that's about 250 miles from me and I'm going to be in downtown Seattle for three days in June.

The trip to Groundspeak HQ is definitely worth it, whether or not they sell nanos there, but FYI, it is not close to downtown. It's in the Ballard section if I remember right, just north of the locks connecting Lake Washington to Puget Sound. You'll need a car or public transportation to get there. Be sure to visit the troll while you're there. There are some caches with gorgeous views in the Queen Anne section, more or less en route (especially Kerry Viewpoint Park http://coord.info/GC62C8, a 2002 virtual).

The trip to Groundspeak HQ is definitely worth it, whether or not they sell nanos there, but FYI, it is not close to downtown. It's in the Ballard section if I remember right, just north of the locks connecting Lake Washington to Puget Sound. You'll need a car or public transportation to get there. Be sure to visit the troll while you're there. There are some caches with gorgeous views in the Queen Anne section, more or less en route (especially Kerry Viewpoint Park http://coord.info/GC62C8, a 2002 virtual).

Last I checked, the cache at the troll was disabled. I already made appointment to visit HQ, and I won't have a car, but knew I'd probably have to take public transportation to get there. I've been caching since 2007, and this will be the first time that I've been in Washington state since I started so I figured I might as well visit HQ. Since I live 2200 miles away I might not get another chance anytime soon unless a certain foundation I've been working with thinks I need to come out there again for another meeting.

Last I checked, the cache at the troll was disabled. I already made appointment to visit HQ, and I won't have a car, but knew I'd probably have to take public transportation to get there. I've been caching since 2007, and this will be the first time that I've been in Washington state since I started so I figured I might as well visit HQ. Since I live 2200 miles away I might not get another chance anytime soon unless a certain foundation I've been working with thinks I need to come out there again for another meeting.

Groundspeak HQ is in Fremont, not Ballard and not next to the locks. But Fremont is very funky with lots to see and do, including the HQ GeoTour, a walking tour that shows you several local landmarks and some clever caches.