Forcing a route to the cache

Hi to you all from Brittany, France :-)

I wouldn't mind a few thoughts on this if you don't mind.

I'm planning my first hide and am thinking of having it on my own land at the foot of a 4 hectare field.

I'm going to landscape it and put a picnic bench there to provide somewhere to sit whilst examining the cache contents.

I plan to use a large container as it will not be muggled being on my own land (ok I should say less chance of it being muggled).

I was even thinking of a combination travel hotel/cache.... with no stupid rules like 1 for 1 I must add!

Now the question is how do I force a certain route to the cache. We have an 800 meter horse training track running round the field and it shows up on google maps so I don't want people thinking they can use it for access etc... there are two ways to get to the spot I want to place the cache... one is straight through our gate and round the horse track which I don't want and the other is a pleasant walk through the woods, which I would prefer.

Do I need to provide waypoints or just good instructions for parking and route starting point?

Cheers :-)

Do I need to provide waypoints or just good instructions for parking and route starting point?

Those will help. Unfortunately, not everyone will read the cache description or view the waypoints.

Instead of waypoints, have you considered making them stages for a multi-cache?

This is exactly the sort of situation that a multi-cache is perfect for.

No matter how much effort you put into the cache page, many cachers will take the shortest possible route to get to a traditional. An easy multi forces them to follow a certain path.

Those will help. Unfortunately, not everyone will read the cache description or view the waypoints.

I'm happy with any option to be honest, anything to make it interesting and not to put people off.

Is there a quick answer to creating a multi-cache or shall I not be lazy and look it up!

^^^ this.

Just make it a multi cache with the intermediate stages along the desired route of travel. Not too many stages if you can help it, just enough to keep them on the path and eventually end up at the final.

I'm happy with any option to be honest, anything to make it interesting and not to put people off.

Is there a quick answer to creating a multi-cache or shall I not be lazy and look it up!

Around here, a lot of people create multis with dymo labels or other sorts of tags with the next set of coordinates (or other clues) stamped on them. They can be stuck to almost anything discreetly - fences, trees, sign posts. If you're worried about causing damage, get a kit to make copper tags, and attach them with wire.

You might want to go out and find some caches first. I see you only have one find. It's usually recommended that you get a little experience finding caches first before hiding one. Just to learn what makes a good cache, what makes a lame cache, what a good container is vs. a poor container, how to use the GPS, etc.

Multis are not terribly difficult to create but they're a little trickier than traditionals. First you have to obtain not just one set of accurate coordinates but several. Then you have to be prepared to maintain all those stages....if one intermediate stage goes missing the whole cache is impossible to complete.

Why not play the game as a finder for a little while first, just to make sure you're really going to be in this for awhile before taking on the long-term commitment of owning and maintaining a cache. Then when you have gained some experience start out by hiding a couple of traditionals first, just to get a feel for what's involved, before attempting a multi.

You might want to go out and find some caches first. I see you only have one find. It's usually recommended that you get a little experience finding caches first before hiding one. Just to learn what makes a good cache, what makes a lame cache, what a good container is vs. a poor container, how to use the GPS, etc.

Multis are not terribly difficult to create but they're a little trickier than traditionals. First you have to obtain not just one set of accurate coordinates but several. Then you have to be prepared to maintain all those stages....if one intermediate stage goes missing the whole cache is impossible to complete.

Why not play the game as a finder for a little while first, just to make sure you're really going to be in this for awhile before taking on the long-term commitment of owning and maintaining a cache. Then when you have gained some experience start out by hiding a couple of traditionals first, just to get a feel for what's involved, before attempting a multi.

I couldn't agree more with you of course.... I've always been like that though, I read a book from the back cover! I read instructions from the last page....

I will be going out this weekend hopefully as you say, I just like to plan early :-)

Hi to you all from Brittany, France :-)

I wouldn't mind a few thoughts on this if you don't mind.

I'm planning my first hide and am thinking of having it on my own land at the foot of a 4 hectare field.

I'm going to landscape it and put a picnic bench there to provide somewhere to sit whilst examining the cache contents.

I plan to use a large container as it will not be muggled being on my own land (ok I should say less chance of it being muggled).

I was even thinking of a combination travel hotel/cache.... with no stupid rules like 1 for 1 I must add!

Now the question is how do I force a certain route to the cache. We have an 800 meter horse training track running round the field and it shows up on google maps so I don't want people thinking they can use it for access etc... there are two ways to get to the spot I want to place the cache... one is straight through our gate and round the horse track which I don't want and the other is a pleasant walk through the woods, which I would prefer.

Cheers :-)

You've already had a lot of thoughts about making your cache a multi, which would encourage people to take the route you preferred to get to the cache.

You'll want to consider the way they get from the cache back to wherever they started - once there are no more stages to find you can be sure that sooner or later you'll get some knucklehead who decides that the shortcut across the horse training track is the best way back to their car, and if they trample your prized orchids between the cache site and the track then that's just too bad.

Also consider how many people are likely to be attracted by your cache, and whether you want that many people milling around on your land. Also be aware that once someone gets to the final coordinates, if the cache is in an area where people might revisit it to retrieve a particularly desirable trackable then people may take shortcuts to get to the final stage quickly. Likewise people might solve the multi and then give someone else the final coordinates, or post a picture from GZ that contains the coordinates in the EXIF information, or similar. (I've been able to bypass a few multi and puzzle caches when people have been kind enough to post geotagged photos at the final stage).

The question I'd be asking if I were considering such a cache is how I could prevent people from taking the shortcut, and whether one or two trying to get through despite the "private property" signs were a price I was willing to pay for a cache that I'd hope the majority would access using the paths I wanted them to use.

You'll want to consider the way they get from the cache back to wherever they started - once there are no more stages to find you can be sure that sooner or later you'll get some knucklehead who decides that the shortcut across the horse training track is the best way back to their car, and if they trample your prized orchids between the cache site and the track then that's just too bad.

Reposition the final container close to the starting point?

Use half the waypoints to guide the finder out to the location you want them to visit - and the other half to guide them back again to the cache.

That way they will stick to the path for the whole trip - and any later visitors to the cache who are just coming to drop off / pick up trackables will do so right at the start point :D

So long as all the physical stages were 161m apart this should work fine.

Use half the waypoints to guide the finder out to the location you want them to visit - and the other half to guide them back again to the cache.

That way they will stick to the path for the whole trip - and any later visitors to the cache who are just coming to drop off / pick up trackables will do so right at the start point :D

I was just going to suggest this.

We have quite a secure gate at the entrance. We need it to stop horses escaping etc... we already have a few neighbors who use the track to run/exercise so it's not a big deal for a couple of strays..

The only thing with hiding the cache back near the start is that it would be on public ground and not mine. I wanted to produce a "nice" area with an interesting cache... meaning I wanted it secure and manageable. Being on my own land would do this for me...

Within a multi there are no proximity rules, i.e. your stages could be 10 foot apart. The physical stages of a multi do have proximity rules with *other* caches.

A multi will drop the number of visitors, the more stages the fewer will visit.

I'll give you a quick answer applicable to this situation, but note that when you publish the cache, you will have to mark a checkbox saying you've read the guidelines. So, you might as well go ahead and read them now.

I have a cache where, after several finders took a short bushwhack instead of the longer, easy walk, I decided to try to "force the route" as you put it. It was already a mystery cache, albeit at the published coordinates (a challenge cache). I moved the coordinates to an "entry point" to the easy walk and gave the heading to the cache but only a general idea of the distance. Nothing more is needed for this cache. It's seldom found, so I can't say how well this is working, but I'm pretty sure it will avoid the problem.

You could do something similar by publishing the coordinates of the entry to the path and saying "walk up the path until you reach a bench". This could be done as a multi, mystery, or letterbox cache. (There are very few letterbox caches around, so this would be a welcome variation.)

It's true, as others have said, that there are various ways people might try to shortcut it anyway. However, I think you will eliminate 90%-99% of the problems by doing it as a multi, either as I described or as others have described.

Edward

Many people will look at a satellite view of the area to find the easiest approach, but with a multi you can put the first stage right at the trailhead which will lead them to the final.

Keep in mind that most people aren't opposed to using a trail, but they will avoid bushwhacking if they don't know a trail exists.

I wanted it secure and manageable. Being on my own land would do this for me...

Secure how?

I'd say the fact its coordinates are visible on a public website make it inherently insecure.

Unless you're planning to personally vet every visitor?

Ok I meant a bit more secure than normal... being on private land will surely stop most muggles.

Am I wrong in saying you need to be a paid member to view the coordinates?

I like the idea of a sign on the gate, something polite probably and also the parking issue. If I give the coordinates for the parking then this will start them at the point I would prefer.

Unless a cache is Premium Member Only, all members - paid and unpaid - can see the coordinates.

So to make it more secure I could make it Premium Member Only.

I wanted my stash to be a little more valuable... things like gemstones, tumble stones and the likes. Not expensive items, just something that in my opinion would warrant it being a premium member only cache.

Unless a cache is Premium Member Only, all members - paid and unpaid - can see the coordinates.

I wanted my stash to be a little more valuable... things like gemstones, tumble stones and the likes. Not expensive items, just something that in my opinion would warrant it being a premium member only cache.

You're more likely to avoid muggle traffic that way, but in terms of the cache contents I wouldn't assume being Premium only will make any difference to the way people treat it. The kind of parents who don't have the decency to tell little Jimmy that he really does have to trade something for whatever he wants to take and because he won't stop whining that he can't choose between the pretty stones they let him take all of them, will probably have bought a premium membership just so they can find the caches with the stuff in it that he actually wants to take.

You're more likely to avoid muggle traffic that way, but in terms of the cache contents I wouldn't assume being Premium only will make any difference to the way people treat it. The kind of parents who don't have the decency to tell little Jimmy that he really does have to trade something for whatever he wants to take and because he won't stop whining that he can't choose between the pretty stones they let him take all of them, will probably have bought a premium membership just so they can find the caches with the stuff in it that he actually wants to take.

Do people really do that sort of thing!!! :P

Well I suppose there is only one to find out as far as the contents go and that's to try it.

I don't mind what happens to the gemstones as I used to sell them and I have loads of them left over. It would be nice to share them out and if I get the odd greedy person then hey ho.. I'll give it a go. (sorry about the rhyme)

Do people really do that sort of thing!!! :P

Well I suppose there is only one to find out as far as the contents go and that's to try it.

I don't mind what happens to the gemstones as I used to sell them and I have loads of them left over. It would be nice to share them out and if I get the odd greedy person then hey ho.. I'll give it a go. (sorry about the rhyme)

Some do. Some people will take everything that takes their fancy, others will trade "an item" for "an item". One cache not all that far from me I looked at (it's a bonus cache for a 100-cache series that I haven't done) had a person visit it who used some fancy words but fundamentally wrote "took (£200 item), left biro". Some people will trade a polished stone for a stone on the ground. Some will leave a 5-eurocent coin as a "trade" regardless of what they took. If you're happy to take the chance go ahead, ultimately only you can decide how much swag to put in your cache and how often to replenish it.

Within a multi there are no proximity rules, i.e. your stages could be 10 foot apart. The physical stages of a multi do have proximity rules with *other* caches.

A multi will drop the number of visitors, the more stages the fewer will visit.

One of the best reasons to make it a multi, imho. It's a built-in filter that deters a lot of the riff-raff.