Problem Sending to GPS

acachebox

Lately I have been having problems sending a new cache to my GPS. Normally I would open a newly posted cache, connect my Oregon 450 to my computer and select Send to GPS. Now I am getting a message "The plug-in was not unlocked successfully" and I can not load the information to the 450. Garmin claims it is not their problem.

If I do a pocket query I can load those files to the Garmin. It is just the single caches I am having a problem with

Any ideas?

What browser and OS are you using? If you are using IE, do you see the problem with another browser?

Using Fire Fox and XP. As far as I know nothing has changed with either of them.

Since I posted this tread I have successfully loaded 1 cache directly from the cache site with "Send To GPS" So the problem is some form of intermittent.

Called Garmin and they have taken the position it is a Geocaching site problem. Not sure I can except that or hundreds would be posting this problem.

Edited by acachebox

What browser and OS are you using? If you are using IE, do you see the problem with another browser?

The problem is with IE and Google Chrome but not Mac

Looks like our posts crossed in time.

I am using Fire Fox and it has worked for over a year for this function.

Google Chrome and IE on my PC (windows 7) have both worked for years, this problem just presented itself 2 days ago. Tech support at Garmin claim they have had tons of calls on this over the past week and claim it is a Geocaching.com issue. My wife has no problems with it using Google Chrome on her Mac (os lion), so it appears to be a PC thing. When you try to download caches individually rather than being able to write to your GPS unit it says The Plugin is Site-Locked or The Plugin was not unlocked successfully. Though some caches do write to the unit while others are locked out. Yes we have the latest Plugin from Garmin downloaded but no difference

Edited by looking4gems

Google Chrome and IE on my PC (windows 7) have both worked for years, this problem just presented itself 2 days ago. Tech support at Garmin claim they have had tons of calls on this over the past week and claim it is a Geocaching.com issue. My wife has no problems with it using Google Chrome on her Mac (os lion), so it appears to be a PC thing. When you try to download caches individually rather than being able to write to your GPS unit it says The Plugin is Site-Locked or The Plugin was not unlocked successfully. Though some caches do write to the unit while others are locked out. Yes we have the latest Plugin from Garmin downloaded but no difference

All right who has had the capacity to change something in the last week? I doubt Garmin would have had any reason to change the plug in. It looks to me as if Geocaching changed something without anticipating the consequences.

All right who has had the capacity to change something in the last week? I doubt Garmin would have had any reason to change the plug in. It looks to me as if Geocaching changed something without anticipating the consequences.

You seem to be forgetting Google. Chrome is frequently updated in the background without user involvement or knowledge.

Edited by GeoTrekker26

I am having the same problem with Firefox and Win7 . Also tried IE11 - that now claims the plug-in is not installed . Tried re-installing it but no change.

I have managed to get around the problem by saving individual GPX files for the few individual caches I want to upload - and copying them direct to my Etrex30.

No problem with uploading pocket queries.

Just a guess, but would this problem have been caused by geocaching.com switching over to https connections on Tuesday's update, and as a result falling foul of web browsers' security policy of blocking mixed (secure/insecure) content?

Just a guess, but would this problem have been caused by geocaching.com switching over to https connections on Tuesday's update, and as a result falling foul of web browsers' security policy of blocking mixed (secure/insecure) content?

Yours is the first comment that fits the timing.

As for Google Chrome I question if Google would reach into other browsers or individual web site and effect their operation.

How do we get Geocachings attention to address this issue?

I just sent a cache to my unit (Montana 600) without any issues*.

0d744913051b10deb1e7849b6dfae194.png

Except those useless and pretty annoying double encoding.

Frohes Jagen

Hans

Edit: typo

You are one of the lucky ones. I just attempted to send 7 different caches and got the same message for each one.

"The plug-in was not unlocked successfully"

Edited by acachebox

I have the same problem.

When I open the map it is suddenly a secure connection. This means that the Garmin communicator plugin is not working. When I click a cache on the map en ask to send it to my GPSmap 62S I got the message that the plugin is not unlocked.

All other pages pages in Geocaching.com give no problem uploading a cache.

How can I change it.

I have this problem with Win 7 + Google Chrome/Firefox and Win 8.1 + Google Chrome/Firefox/Explorer11.

Edited by JIGols

My map page was working fine last night but today I get the map with no caches shown. I have had trouble with loading a cache from the map page and was getting the failure to unlock message but was able to load the cache from the individual cache page. Now I can't even get to the cache page. I'm using Fire Fox and Windows 8. Any ideas?

Edited by Heli Leo

I am only having problems when trying to send to my GPSr from the map and it gives me the error message "The plug-in was not unlocked successfully." :( When I select send to GPS from cache pages or search results lists it does not have any problems. :)

Have same problem here to. I'm using:

- garmin etrex 30

- firefox latest

- latest garmin communicator

- windows 8.1 latest

- chrome not working at all for me

Hope they can fix it

Well I though I was going to post some progress. Turns out I can upload a cache information to my Garmin from the e mail notice of the publication.

I then went to the map to see if I could upload from it. I first got the message that the plug in failed. Broke for lunch and tried again. The map no longer has any caches appearing on it at ALL.

Hopefully this is just an indication that someone is working on the problem and had to halt the map fill in information while they are working.

Edited by acachebox

Well I though I was going to post some progress. Turns out I can upload a cache information to my Garmin from the e mail notice of the publication.

Wait, what? Are you saying you're receiving GPX files in your notification emails? If so, that's a new feature we haven't been told about.

Wait, what? Are you saying you're receiving GPX files in your notification emails? If so, that's a new feature we haven't been told about.

I don't think this is new as I have, as long as I have been getting e mail notification had this option.

I get an e mail notification for each new cache as it is published. That e mail has 4 links in it. The second link takes me directly to the cache page. On that page there is a link "Send to my GPS". If I select it I can load the info to my GPS. If I go to the map and select a cache that page will also give me the option to "Send to My GPS", same function but that does not work.

At this point the problem is only happening when I attempt to load information from the map

Edited by acachebox

I have just tried to install the geocaching app to download caches to my new PC. When I go to download the cache the message 'plug-in not successfully unlocked' appears. Re installing does not fix the problem. I have seen the other posts with this problem, but cannot find how to fix it. What can I do.

Posted at 12.35 pm

Don't think so.

Edited by Double Dart

It seems that this issue is only occurring when attempt to send from the map page as opposed to sending from individual cache listings. I have notified the engineering team of this issue.

I have found a probable root cause!

If you open the geocaching.com maps via http://www.geocaching.com/map/ the URL changes to https://www.geocaching.com/map/

It seems the garmin plugin is not working when using a secure HTTPS connection.

Edited by DanPan

I don't think this is new as I have, as long as I have been getting e mail notification had this option.

I get an e mail notification for each new cache as it is published. That e mail has 4 links in it. The second link takes me directly to the cache page. On that page there is a link "Send to my GPS". If I select it I can load the info to my GPS.

Oh, ok, that makes more sense. You're not actually loading the cache from the email, but rather going to the cache listing page and loading from there. Your earlier wording made it sound like you had the GPX file attached to the emails you received.

I have found a probable root cause!

If you open the geocaching.com maps via http://www.geocaching.com/map/ the URL changes to https://www.geocaching.com/map/

It seems the garmin plugin is not working when using a secure HTTPS connection.

Sorry, jri beat you to it yesterday:

I get an e mail notification for each new cache as it is published. That e mail has 4 links in it. The second link takes me directly to the cache page. On that page there is a link "Send to my GPS". If I select it I can load the info to my GPS. If I go to the map and select a cache that page will also give me the option to "Send to My GPS", same function but that does not work.

At this point the problem is only happening when I attempt to load information from the map

A unique way of solving the problem. Now the "MAP" has no caches listed on it at all. Can't have this problem that way but might have a few others.

Edited by acachebox

A unique way of solving the problem. Now the "MAP has no caches listed on it at all. Can't have a problem that way.

This issue should now be fixed. Please let us know if you continue to see problems.

Yes I loaded 2 caches that were outside my normal area from the map.

While I did not have a newly published cache to test with I did try to load an older cache from e mail notification and it did find the Garmin OK and said the cache was already on the Garmin.

Those tests tell me it is fixed.

Thanks

Up until this afternoon I have had the problem with using Mac OS 10.3 and both Safari and Firefox when I open the larger map page and try to download a cache from there i got "not able to unlocjk plug-in." if I do it from a list of caches and click on send to gps icon it works. This just happened in the last few days. Seems to be somewhat intermittent. Garmin said they have had several complaints and it wasn't their issue. I am using Comunicator 4.1 and Safari 7.0

I'm having the same problem still. From the map, I get the message that the Garmin Communicator is not installed. I'm working with the latest version and it seems to work fine from the cache listing. I've deleted and reinstalled the communicator, and am working with Windows 8.1 and IE 11.0.8.

I've attempted everything suggested above and gotten no joy. Anyone else have an idea or still having the same issue?

Thanks,

I'm having the same problem still. From the map, I get the message that the Garmin Communicator is not installed. I'm working with the latest version and it seems to work fine from the cache listing. I've deleted and reinstalled the communicator, and am working with Windows 8.1 and IE 11.0.8.

I've attempted everything suggested above and gotten no joy. Anyone else have an idea or still having the same issue?

Thanks,

It's long winded, but go to the cache page to load the file...

It seems it's the https: on the map page causing the problem.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Thanks,

Try toggling Compatibility Mode in IE.

I'm having same problem - Windows 7, Garmin E10

From map "Send to GPS" tells me Garmin Communicator Plugin not installed. "Download and install now" gets Garmin telling me I have got the latest Communicator Plugin installed. On occasions, "Send to GPS" will then allow me the opportunity to agree with agreement but then just locks up....

From map "Send to GPS" tells me Garmin Communicator Plugin not installed. "Download and install now" gets Garmin telling me I have got the latest Communicator Plugin installed. On occasions, "Send to GPS" will then allow me the opportunity to agree with agreement but then just locks up....

Don't do it from the map page...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Actually, the https issue has been fixed (that was causing a "plugin not unlocked" error). The problem now lies with Garmin. As you will see here on Garmin's forums, their plugin is not working properly in IE on any web site. We have been trying to work with them on coming up with a solution, but one has not been forthcoming as yet. The workaround is to press F12 (or select "F12 Developer Tools" from the Tools menu), click on the Emulation button (Ctrl + 8), and then set the document mode to 9.

Actually, the https issue has been fixed (that was causing a "plugin not unlocked" error). The problem now lies with Garmin. As you will see here on Garmin's forums, their plugin is not working properly in IE on any web site. We have been trying to work with them on coming up with a solution, but one has not been forthcoming as yet. The workaround is to press F12 (or select "F12 Developer Tools" from the Tools menu), click on the Emulation button (Ctrl + 8), and then set the document mode to 9.

Thanks!

Glad I don't use IE, and make use of PQ's. :D

Lately I have been having problems sending a new cache to my GPS. Normally I would open a newly posted cache, connect my Oregon 450 to my computer and select Send to GPS. Now I am getting a message "The plug-in was not unlocked successfully" and I can not load the information to the 450. Garmin claims it is not their problem.

With my old laptop I was able to download a cache to my Garmin 450t. I've switched to a laptop with Windows 8 and it won't allow that. I tried installing the Garmin plugin but Mozilla/Firefox won't allow it. I'm lost on how to allow the installation. Can anyone help me with this? I have a difficult time finding my way around the Forum so might be easier to email me at theoakman@earthlink.net. Thanks for any help....