Which gps?

I am into geocaching and hillwalking but don't go on all day treks in the mountains ( not yet anyway!). Would like a gps device to enhance the experience. Don't necessarily want an 'all bells and whistles' device but I am prepared to pay more for one that includes maps. Looking at the Garmin Gpss Map 64s. Is this too much for a beginner?

My answer is simple.

Garmin Dakota 20 and Talky Toaster's free maps.

You shall not be a wanting for anything else. :)

Thanks, Talky Toasty are OpenStreetMap, right? Are they easy to download?

I like the Etrex20, if you haven't used a GPS unit before it is a very steep (and sometimes frustrating) learning curve but worth it in the end.

I am not particularly tech minded but after a few false starts uploaded the talky toaster maps.

Sorry not sure if they are Openstreetmaps.

Hi

Just come back to Geocaching from a break and could do with some advice on GPS units. When i first started Geocaching I was using my iphone and the app. This was great and I had no major issues finding the cache's, but the problem was the battery and signal loss in woodland areas. This time I want to purchase a GPS unit but it is all mind boggling. I like the iphone app as its in colour, I can take a photo whilst at the site, can upload the info on site when i have a signal etc (you get the picture) and would ideally like something of the same spec.

I don't want to spend a fortune as its a hobby and like all hobbies, sometimes they fizzle out or work and life commitments take over and you cannot participate in the hobby as much as you would like, but i dont want a basic one neither that is in black and white and has no comparible attributes like the iphone app. It has to be something mid-range that is "all singing and dancing" as it can be to make the experience enjoyable. Price range as a guide up to £150. Possibility of OS maps?

I have read many, many reviews online but i am struggling to find real life reviews of people using them currently who are located in the UK. Spec of units has changed over the last few years and so i need opinions on units that i can still purchase now.

My grandson is now at an age where i would like to start getting him involved so i would like a unit that is going to last and be robust enough if little hands drop it!! Any advice would be most welcome.

Edited by chelle79513

I would go with Sussamb's recommendation above, Etrex 20 with TalkyToaster's OpenStreetMap maps (free).

The Etrex 30 has a few extra features for a few more £££'s that you can live without, so it's down to you whether it's worth a bit extra. With some diligent searching you should find the 20 for well under £150, and the 30 will be around £150.

OS maps can be expensive and personally I don't think they're worth the money, so stick with the free ones. Also once you're used to the OSM maps you can get them for free for more or less any part of the world, so good for holidays!

Edit: have a look on http://www.handtec.co.uk

Edited by MartyBartfast

You cant Chirp on a eTrex 20, and you have no GLONASS on the Dakota (which I turn off on my Oregon 650) - so the Dakota is a lot more capable as there are a whole bunch of caches that you can' do. You also have a touchscreen ( and larger screen ) on the Dakota as opposed to a joystick and a smaller screen.

http://www.gpscity.com/compare/etrex20&dakota20

Edited by firestars

The eTrex 20 is also more expensive than the Dakota 20

No it isn't, Garmins own pricing have them at £169.99 for the Etrex and £199.99 for the Oregon, and Handtec have them at £124.68 and £143.88 respectively, so the Etrex 20 the is cheaper of the two.

For me the decision between the Etrex and the Dakota would come down to whether you prefer the touchscreen or the joystick, and I preferred the Joystick.

If the Chirp capability is important then the Etrex 30 does Chirp, but there are so few of them around that I wouldn't let that sway my decision.

I think that GLONASS is useful in difficult reception areas, there are more satellites up there to choose from so it's got to be a good thing - no?

I don't notice any difference with using GLONASS to be honest. I also would not buy a GPS from anywhere but Amazon, where the Dakota is cheaper. £144.28 for the eTrex and £137.99 for the Dakota.

Saying that, why would anyone buy an eTrex 20 when the 30 is just £19 more expensive?

Edited by firestars

lol - How is the eEtex more modern and capable :)

As I said, you cant complete chirp caches, its not touchscreen and it does not have an electronic compass.

If you want a Joystick, Chirp and Electronic compass, spend an extra £19

If you want a touchscreen, Chirp and Electronic compass, spend £6 less.

If you dont want Chirp or an Electronic compass, buy a eTrex 20. Simple.

So GLONASS, which as I said, makes no difference on my 650, so I keep if off.

I think the pressure (Dakota has Barometric altimeter, Etrex has not) is getting to you. I think the Tide (Dakota has Tide Tables, the eTrex does not) has turned. Your heart must be pounding (Dakota is Heart Rate monitor compatible, the eTrex is not) Maybe I should jump on my bike (Dakota is Bike speed/cadence sensor compatible, the eTrex is not) and show you my Customizable screen (which you can do on a Dakota, not on an eTrex) and share it with you wirelessly (Oh, the Dakota can do this too, but not to an eTrex as its not compatible)

We will have to agree to disagree but the facts are the facts. The eTrex 30 price point makes the eTrex 20 not worth considering. As for there being a whole section of Geocaching that you can't get to (and is only going to get bigger, that would drive me crazy.

Just noticed and I'm not pushing the company but handtec are offering the Etrex 20 - £104; Etrex 30 - £120, Dakota 20 - £120.

They all look like bargains to me.

Be aware those prices are Ex VAT, so add %20.

BTW I've bough 2 GPSs and sundry accessories from Handtec and would be happy to use them again. A mate of mine also bought a GPS from them which failed and they replaced it by return post.