Magellan GPS - overseas

Nosynel

We are planning an overseas trip to LA, The Netherlands, Scotland and Vancouver. My family are not geocachers but I hope to find a geocache or 2 in each country. I have only used my GPS in NZ. It is a Magellan Explorer. Do I need to purchase maps or will it automatically work in any country I go to?

You don't really "need" to have a map in the GPS to find a geocache. Just enter the waypoints taking care to make sure you have the N for latitude and the W for longitude.

You will have to "initialize" after taking the GPS a long distance so that it looks for the right satellites.

Find some caches in your home country before your trip so you are better prepared. If you are renting a car, get one with an onboard GPS to find your way close to the caches.

I've got an eXplorist 710 which came with European maps which are pretty good. I think if you buy one in the USA it comes with US/Canada maps. Outside of these areas it should have a pretty basic basemap. The European ones do allow you to add additional maps but they are expensive to buy. I'm not aware of any other maps - such as Open Street Maps - that you can load onto them.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Pan the map to the country you're interested in and zoom all the way in.....what you see is what you get......the unit may have a world wide base map showing the major roads. Some years ago I went to Europe with my Magellan Meridian and found caches in several countries which I had preloaded to the unit with no problem ( I also printed out the cache info. and maps from the GC.com site and used them to assist.)

Thanks :grin: I had a wee look when I scrolled on Canada. It had lots of Street names and looked like what I use now. So I probably don't need to buy any maps. I was worried I might need to spend mega bucks on a new gps.

Now I just need to do more research on geocaches that I can do with my family who really don't like geocaching :blink:

It would be cool if I could manage to find at least one cache in each country.