Waymarks in limbo

If you have waymarks stuck in limbo the procedure is ""New listings are reviewed, on average, within 72 hours of submitting by an officer of the group that manages the category.

If your listing has entered the voting process, or if there are larger than expected volumes of new listings, it can take up to a week for a listing to be reviewed.

If you have not received a notification within a week from sending your listing for review, you can elect to escalate the review process.

Determine if your listing has been sent to vote by the group. Go to your listing. Near the top in red letters you will see the status of your listing. If the listing has either received no action or remains in vote for a period that exceeds seven days you may use the site messaging system to contact Checkmark.

When contacting Checkmark, include the unique WM CODE found near the top of the Waymark listing page for ease of identification. Shortly after the escalation request is received, Checkmark will review the proposed listing. This will be done as appropriate to the specific category guidelines." Publication of Your Waymark"

What do you do when Checkmark doesn't respond????

If you have waymarks stuck in limbo the procedure is ""New listings are reviewed, on average, within 72 hours of submitting by an officer of the group that manages the category.

If your listing has entered the voting process, or if there are larger than expected volumes of new listings, it can take up to a week for a listing to be reviewed.

If you have not received a notification within a week from sending your listing for review, you can elect to escalate the review process.

Determine if your listing has been sent to vote by the group. Go to your listing. Near the top in red letters you will see the status of your listing. If the listing has either received no action or remains in vote for a period that exceeds seven days you may use the site messaging system to contact Checkmark.

When contacting Checkmark, include the unique WM CODE found near the top of the Waymark listing page for ease of identification. Shortly after the escalation request is received, Checkmark will review the proposed listing. This will be done as appropriate to the specific category guidelines." Publication of Your Waymark"

You wait. :anicute: Really, I don't know. There are quite a few of us that would be willing to help, but there seems to be only a few that are in leadership of too many categories here and take on the burden of reviewing hundreds of new waymarks. I'm sure they are just busy, this is nothing new and I don't expect change. :(

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

You wait. :anicute: Really, I don't know. There are quite a few of us that would be willing to help, but there seems to be only a few that are in leadership of too many categories here and take on the burden of reviewing hundreds of new waymarks. I'm sure they are just busy, this is nothing new and I don't expect change. :(

The ones with the many categories are not the problem, although there may me peak times with delays.

The unresponsive officers always blamed here are almost always people who only have one or two categories, do not post or visit nor read the forum. If they only receive a submission every couple of weeks or even months after a while they just forget that there was a game called Waymarking.

The ones with the many categories are not the problem, although there may me peak times with delays.

The unresponsive officers always blamed here are almost always people who only have one or two categories, do not post or visit nor read the forum. If they only receive a submission every couple of weeks or even months after a while they just forget that there was a game called Waymarking.

I would agree, but from my experience it seems to be delays with the active leaders. :) I just think they have a full inbox and it takes time. But of course there is no problem, only the wording needs changed. :D If Waymarking worked as first imagined in the beginning it would only take 72 hours or less. I just see the site as still growing after almost vanishing. So if we can just agree that Waymarking is not very popular compared to geocaching, and most of us were into geocaching before our interests in Waymarks, and there are a lot less of us. It is understandable that the review process is slow in the larger categories because of lack of members. B)

I have checked and this has been sent to others at Groundspeak to resolve.

If the problem is inactive leaders, I would ask that some of us that are active be promoted to leadership. I would like everyone that wants at least have a chance, and not just put more work load on already well established waymarkers.

I have checked and this has been sent to others at Groundspeak to resolve.

If the problem is inactive leaders, I would ask that some of us that are active be promoted to leadership. I would like everyone that wants at least have a chance, and not just put more work load on already well established waymarkers.

For waymarks stuck in limbo, often times it really has little to do with how active leadership is, as it requires something that even active officers seldom do, that is going to the group page. Unfortunately waywizard and checkmark can't directly release them, it is something that other powers at Groundspeak must do.

Edited by BruceS

BruceS, what I am asking is that some of us without thousands published waymarks and boo-coo's of visits be given a chance to take control of some of these dormant groups. I don't know who to contact to ask that I be considered, but I am interested in Waymarking and want to be a part of it too. :) It's not like I'm asking TPTB to be a volunteer reviewer for geocaches, but some of the existing abandoned categories that need new leadership. I just ask that I be considered to fill some vacancys along with some other members here that want a chance at leadership. :anibad:

Well, Bruce, my experience has been different from what you're saying. Only once that I can remember have I had a waymark stuck in limbo because an officer just needed to go to the group page. I have had 4 or 5 waymarks stuck because the only "active" officers were either inactive for a couple of weeks (sick or gone on vacation) or were just plain inactive. We can't blame everything on that one bug; and I can't blame it but for only one stuck waymark out of 5 or 6.

I agree with MPH. Stop this "hording" of the categories by unwilling officers and open them up to those who are willing.

It's a Catch 22 issue: (aside from visiting waymarks,) why should folks get into this hobby of posting waymarks if their favorite categories don't let the waymarks through? But if the waymarks were reviewed quicker, perhaps the number of waymarkers would further warrant group officers. But they can't because they aren't.

Time to pull out the plunger...

Well, Bruce, my experience has been different from what you're saying. Only once that I can remember have I had a waymark stuck in limbo because an officer just needed to go to the group page. I have had 4 or 5 waymarks stuck because the only "active" officers were either inactive for a couple of weeks (sick or gone on vacation) or were just plain inactive. We can't blame everything on that one bug; and I can't blame it but for only one stuck waymark out of 5 or 6.

I agree with MPH. Stop this "hording" of the categories by unwilling officers and open them up to those who are willing.

It's a Catch 22 issue: (aside from visiting waymarks,) why should folks get into this hobby of posting waymarks if their favorite categories don't let the waymarks through? But if the waymarks were reviewed quicker, perhaps the number of waymarkers would further warrant group officers. But they can't because they aren't.

Time to pull out the plunger...

Realize there is a difference between waymarks stuck in vote limbo and those that are just sitting and not acted on. Those that go to vote get stuck until someone goes visits the group page and those are the ones I was addressing. Those that are just not being acted on by the group forward them to Waywizard, he usually processes them in batches. Also indicate if you have interest in becoming an officer in that group. (those can take longer)

Yep, I made that distinction in my post. ;)

Also, I believe that I re-iterated that MPH is talking about the kind that aren't stuck in limbo, but are stuck due to unreponsiveness.

Thanks for your comment about forwarding to Waywizard, I had thought that only CheckMark was our court of pleas. We'll have to remember that the next time things stagnate. We have more than one advocate.

Yep, I made that distinction in my post. ;)

Also, I believe that I re-iterated that MPH is talking about the kind that aren't stuck in limbo, but are stuck due to unreponsiveness.

Thanks for your comment about forwarding to Waywizard, I had thought that only CheckMark was our court of pleas. We'll have to remember that the next time things stagnate. We have more than one advocate.

That is my point as you put it in your other post, "hording categorys". If you look at the active groups and new waymarks that are approved, you see the same players quite often. I understand that this is a game, and it is all about the numbers and filling grids, ect to some. I also am beginning to think that having your user name on published waymarks is part of the numbers game too. So with that being said, and understanding that this is a game, it does not take an expert to review a waymark. I have nbeen told that my waymarks are substandard, well new flash. This is a game, not goverenment work. :D As long as I am having fun and others are too is all that matters. B)