Cant download caches

TorSkis

Hi,

Hope someone can help me, I have a new computer and I am trying to download some caches into my garmin gps. when I clicked on send to gps first time it said I had no plug in, downloaded that , but still comes up not detecting it, but when I click to download, it says I have a plug in.... ugghhh what am I doing wrong??

Stop using Internet Explorer!

Or via Tools, add this site to Compatibility Mode.

I wouldn't mind a USEFUL answer to this question myself. Tried IE and Mozilla with every update available for my eTrex 30.

Edited by paulmc

I wouldn't mind a USEFUL answer to this question myself. Tried IE and Mozilla with every update available for my eTrex 30.

Did you follow ALL directions from the bear?

With IE, updates aren't the answer.... they are the problem, actually.

T.D.M.22 is referring to the Compatibility Mode. If you didn't choose geocaching.com and add it to the Compatibility list for that browser, it still won't work properly.

It comes down to IE doesn't play well with geocaching.com unless you "adjust" it.

Mozilla Firefox really ought to have cured the problem if you did indeed use it.

Google Chrome used to also be a cure, but I hear-tell that it to may have fallen by the wayside.

With that said... I just don't understand why Premium Members don't do Pocket Queries (they are paying for them, after-all). You load them to the GPSr w/o use of a browser.

Don't go through the browser = no browser problems.

If on a windows machine you can check the device manager to make sure your garmin device shows up in the list and see if it is having any errors there. You can also check garmin's support site for your device to make sure you have the latest drivers. Keep in mind you have to have Garmin Communicator (also available on Garmin's support site) installed for GC to load caches directly to the device.

Good Luck!

I just don't understand why Premium Members don't do Pocket Queries (they are paying for them, after-all). You load them to the GPSr w/o use of a browser.

That's my process, even for just one two caches; download to the hard drive, then (unzip if necessary and) move the files manually. But still I miss the capability of sending directly from the web site to the Oregon. Since I only put a couple of select caches on my Nuvi (for trip guidance to a general area), the extra steps are kind of a pain. And it seems to break again every few weeks. :anibad:

I'm gonna go figure out exactly what causes everything to work as expected (if I ever get around to it :ph34r:). Whatever fixes it, should be pinned here someplace. It seems to be a recurring theme.

But yes, as mentioned, copy the files to the GPS as a USB drive, and there are no tricky driver settings to do (you'll need to delete file clutter anyway). And use PQs most of the time; they're easy to do.

Edited by kunarion
I just don't understand why Premium Members don't do Pocket Queries (they are paying for them, after-all). You load them to the GPSr w/o use of a browser.

- Yeah, we are paying for "send to" also. It should work.

- Now Google Chrome is also no longer an answer...

When I plug my Oregon 450 to the usb, the gps screen asks if I want to go to "Mass Storage". I select yes, on the gps screen. On the computer, I go to the map, select a cache and "send to GPS". Garmin Communicator works just fine for me with Firefox 29 (just updated today). It has worked fine for me with several prior versions of Firefox.

Garmin Communicator works just fine for me with Firefox 29 (just updated today). It has worked fine for me with several prior versions of Firefox.

I have Firefox 26.0, and just now sent a GPX file just fine. Garmin Communicator was sitting on the "Delorme" tab, so I clicked the "Garmin" tab, and it worked.

However, I tried 64-bit and 32-bit IE, installed the newest Communicator plugin, enabled the plugin (I had disabled it for some reason, maybe because it doesn't work :anicute:), and selected the entire "geocaching.com" site to be in "Compatibility View". The error changed. Instead of the "Not Installed" error, now it thinks for a minute, then shows the error, "TypeError: Unable to get property 'getElementsByTagName' of undefined or null reference".

If I'm in a hurry and need to send a GPX or two, I'll just fire up the old Firefox.

I am having similar problems. Cannot detect GPS on either Firefox or IE (32 bit, 64 bit, whatever). Sometimes, after multiple installs of drivers and plugins I can get it to work, but then after a couple of days it stops working. I also cannot "see" my GPS on my computer, which blows the idea of downloading pocket queries. It shows up under Other Devices, like a printer, but not as a drive that something can be copied to. I would love some ideas here.