What is in your Geo-bag that you do NOT use?

What item of gear do you carry that you do NOT use? (The first on everyone's list should hopefully be a first aid kit.)

The one item that we do not use that may surprise everyone is our Leatherman. Been carrying it since day one and have never used it. I already carry a knife so no need to pull out the Leatherman for that. The pliers are to bulky to reach into anything as a retrieving tool, we use a hemostat for that. I have been thinking of removing it to save weight and space.

I carry a Leatherman and use it-the tip on the knife to pull logs, and the serrated knife to pry when I can't get my fingers in. I have used my first aid kit- although just bandaids, nothing serious. I think the only thing I hadn't used is my survival kit-nothing big but a whistle, something to start fire with, mirror, and Heatsheets(like a space a space blanket but better)

Pretty much everything else has been added as it's been needed, rather than I case it has to be needed.

As for weight- my Leatherman is quite heavy, but I'm more comfortable with heavier knives, and it's usually in my pocket everywhere so I'm used to it.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Probably the Life Straws (but that is something I hope we never need to use!), every once in a while I go through the bag and decide what is relevant and what isn't.

Hey I just got one of those too. :) Hopefully I'll never need to use it, but it's in my backpack just in case.

For walking to a cache I wear a small tool belt pouch...it carries a miniature letterman, a telescoping mirror, pair of tweezers, Surefire flashlight, bag of O-rings for bisons and match safes, and a few replacement logs in ziplocks.....and a 10" SS " micro probe " hangs from the pouch....I regularly use ALL these items.

In my truck is a back pack containing too many items to list weighing about 20 Lb.....19.9 lb's of that stuff I never use.

Hm, I don't think there's anything that I don't ever use. I have a mini leatherman on my keychain, and we use it often (even when not geocaching). I had some rubber gloves, and used that recently on the Gum Wall in Seattle. Hm, I should post a photo of that. I was going in like a surgeon. :rolleyes:

I had some rubber gloves, and used that recently on the Gum Wall in Seattle.

I saw that wall... I didn't try too hard to look for the cache :) If I did, I'd probably be in the background of about 50 tourist photos.

I know it's the touristy thing to do, but we visit Pike Place almost every time we're in Seattle. We love it there. So we pop over to the gum wall quite often. Sometimes it's because we have someone with us that's never been there before.

In all the times I've looked for that cache, I've only found it once (well, it was my son who found it). It has been moved, and has a new container. It's essentially a needle in a haystack hide. A really gross, smelly haystack. :blink: I was a bit more determined this time, because my MIL was with us. She hasn't wanted to go near the wall, but we convinced her. I really wanted to find the cache for her, since I know she'll never be back.

Our car smelled like gum for the rest of the day, just sayin'. And even though I used my rubber gloves, I kept repeating, "Out, out! dam spot!" :laughing:

Nope, I've used my first aid kit a number of times. I cache in shorts in summer and wind up with all kinds of cuts and scrapes.

Not used so far: fire starter kit, emergency bivy shelter, water purification tablets, whistle and insect head net. Until recently my large survival knife was never used, but a few months ago I needed it to pry the lid off of a PVC pipe cache that wouldn't budge.

Pepper spray. I've been lugging this heavy thing around for so long and looking forward to being attacked by either an animal or human so I can use it, but no luck yet. <_<

Water purification tablets and compass hasn't been used yet either. After 1 disastrous outing a couple years ago, I always bring enough water and my phone is too darn reliable. Why can't it fail? :mad:

Pepper spray. I've been lugging this heavy thing around for so long and looking forward to being attacked by either an animal or human so I can use it, but no luck yet. <_<

Water purification tablets and compass hasn't been used yet either. After 1 disastrous outing a couple years ago, I always bring enough water and my phone is too darn reliable. Why can't it fail? :mad:

You're right! I haven't used pepper spray. I used it when I was younger on a dog, but not since caching. I try to remember to have it with me when I go on walks because I'm often alone and sometimes at night in more remote parks and stuff.

I've got a small flashlight in my geocaching kit that I don't think I've ever used. In situations where I might need a light, I bring either my headlamp or my big flashlight. So far, I've never needed a light when I haven't brought one of the others.

I had some rubber gloves, and used that recently on the Gum Wall in Seattle.

I saw that wall... I didn't try too hard to look for the cache :) If I did, I'd probably be in the background of about 50 tourist photos.

I know it's the touristy thing to do, but we visit Pike Place almost every time we're in Seattle. We love it there. So we pop over to the gum wall quite often. Sometimes it's because we have someone with us that's never been there before.

I'm going to be in Seattle for business for a few days in the beginning of June. I'll pretty much have two full days free (because booked a hotel for an extra night that'll pay for on my own dime). I'll be at city center but would be close enough to Pike Place for a visit. I've read a little about the gum wall and seen pictures and will probably try to search for the cache (I prefer the challenge rather than just trying to find as many caches as I can). I also made an appointment to visit Groundspeak HQ. I won't be able to spend much time though as I'm planning on going to a Mariners game with someone I know that lives there.

Well, like I keep telling my wife, just because it's touristy doesn't mean it's not fun :) After all, there's a good reason why many tourists go there. I enjoyed seeing Pike's Place, and I'd very likely go back again the next time I'm there.

Back to the topic, I think there's probably everything I used at least once, but the two things I used the least : gloves to keep my hands clean (I have another pair of cut resistant gloves for protection) and my Xstamper N30 stamp. The gloves because it is easier to clean up using wipes later, and the stamper because it's just easier signing the log, especially if I need to date it with my pen anyway.

What item of gear do you carry that you do NOT use? (The first on everyone's list should hopefully be a first aid kit.)

I had a first aid kit with me when I tore my leg open on an old fence.

First aid kit would have been of no use, however McDonalds napkins were, so I drove myself to the hospital, which fortunately was only about 5 minutes away.

Besides the first aid kit, the other thing I have not needed was the emergency blanket.

Film Canisters. :anicute:

Bison tubes. Our local events usually have some sort of simple competition or door prize. When I win something, I always take the bison tubes and stash them in the caching bag, so that they'll never see the light of day. :ph34r:

Haven't taken the second canister of bear spray out since the incident on the back roads with the first. We were in the area where we had seen bears while caching part of the VLH series and after signing the log at a cache the canister dropped into the dust on the side of the road. That was it - orange spray came out from a pinhole in the can, choking us and entering the car through the sunroof and open windows. I would hate an animal to go through what we did, and the fact you have to spray so any wind is coming from behind you makes it tricky. If I hear a rustle, I make noise for now. It would be just my luck to pepper myself - seasoning for the beast!