GPS Software for Midwest Region

seige02

I got an Etrex Vista, wondering if there is anyone who could get me a copy of some good mapping software for midwest region? In particular, I need Ohio. I have Delorme, but it doesn't allow maps to be download to Etrex series, I need Mapsource software. What is the best kind of software to use for hunting? What is the best kind for street use? Thanks for letting me know! Email me at seige02@aol.com or post a message.

Mapsource is the only software that will allow detailed maps to uploaded to you Vista. There are several shareware and freeware programs that will allow you to upload/download waypoints, route and tracks.

I am presently using Mapsource Topo and Mapsource Roads and Recreation. The Topo was a little disapointing in that the contour lines are at a resolution similar to USGS 1:100,000 scale not the best for geocaching. You really need Topo data similar to USGS 1:24,000. None the less the Topo maps have good road resolution. Road and Recteation take less room and has better road lables. Both are a little out of date.

Since you have a Vista with 24MB of map memory you might want to look at Mapsource Metro. The data is a bit more up to date although for the same square miles you will use a little more memory. Go to Garmin's web site and you can preview the data contianed in each sofware package.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/

Look at the top right corner. pick you product and have a look around.

Later

mcb