Geocaching Vehicles

While in the UK last year this was my mode of travel...

Ooh. I've looked at renting a canal boat several times. What a wonderful way to go geocaching. Traveling the canals and stopping in little towns along the way to find a geocache or two. When my son was much younger he used to watch a rather silly kids show called "Rosie and Jim". It was about a couple of dolls that lived on a canal boat whose owner would travel the canals in one of those boats and stop to visit various places along the way. The show was goofy but the idea of spending a week or two traveling through England or the midi canals in southern France certainly look very appealing.

I would love to post a photo of my geocaching vehicle but I am ignorant on how to upload a photo to the discussion as a reply. How do I do so?

You need to have your image hosted on a site somewhere. Then post the link to it in text box after pressing the 'insert image' button in the reply window.....

I think you can use your geocaching image gallery, but don't have to, I just use some webspace my email provider supplies.

addit - there is also an 'attachment' area below the reply box, give that a try?

Edited by lee737

I have tried to attach a photo from my Google Photos site. When I enter the URL I keep getting this: "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board."

Why? Do the admin/mods have an issue with Google?

Edited by SUX_VR_40_Rider

Still doesn't work - why not just resize your pic first, then attach it.

I've done that. I take the photos at such high resolution I do not think any amount of cropping will reduce its size. I store them in Google Photos. I may need to open up the ability to view them to anyone, not just Google members. I think that is the problem you are having.

Unless the photos you take (Hubble??) are too large to fit in your PCs RAM (very unlikely), you can resize then to whatever size you want - even avatar sized....

Short of cropping the photo, which is what I do, how else do I reduce a photo that is 5.7 mb in size down to 2 mb or less? I should add once I take a photo I never store it on a computer hard drive. It automatically uploads to my Google Photos account.

Edited by SUX_VR_40_Rider

Unless the photos you take (Hubble??) are too large to fit in your PCs RAM (very unlikely), you can resize then to whatever size you want - even avatar sized....

Short of cropping the photo, which is what I do, how else do I reduce a photo that is 5.7 mb in size down to 2 mb or less? I should add once I take a photo I never store it on a computer hard drive. It automatically uploads to my Google Photos account.

Google - 'resize photo' and maybe a term for whatever OS you use, you will have lots of answers

Any image processing app will do it.....

I created a shared folder for my photos. Does this link work?

Bicycling vehicle

The link works but as you can see in this forum section most of the posts contain embedded images to that they can be seen in the forum posts. The "Insert Image" function does not allow links to images which don't have a file format extension (that's a function of the forum software and can't be changed). I've tried numerous photo sharing sites and the one I like the most is imgur.com. It's very easy to use, and has an app so that you can send images directly from a smartphone to the site, drag-n-drop from a file system (even an SD card on a digital camera if you've plugged the the camera into a computer).

If you can't resize images in a Google Photos account I'd be looking for some other site which allows you do one of the most basic of photo editing features there is.

I created a shared folder for my photos. Does this link work?

Bicycling vehicle

The link works but as you can see in this forum section most of the posts contain embedded images to that they can be seen in the forum posts. The "Insert Image" function does not allow links to images which don't have a file format extension (that's a function of the forum software and can't be changed). I've tried numerous photo sharing sites and the one I like the most is imgur.com. It's very easy to use, and has an app so that you can send images directly from a smartphone to the site, drag-n-drop from a file system (even an SD card on a digital camera if you've plugged the the camera into a computer).

If you can't resize images in a Google Photos account I'd be looking for some other site which allows you do one of the most basic of photo editing features there is.

If you mean for the purposes of things like attaching a photo into a forum discussion I will look into it. If you mean so I can re-size all of my photos I have stored in my Google account, yeah that is not happening. I have tens of thousands of photos uploaded to my Google Photos since 2006. I am not about to run all of them through a photo just re-size them. But I have no problem doing so with a few for things like attaching to a forum discussion.

You're using miles in Norway? Weired. blink.gif

Hans

We bring that device with us when caching around the world. And I haven't changed the settings since our last US trip.

But yes, I am a bit weird :)

Makes sense. I like the wheel covers pretty much. smile.gif

Hans

My geo-vehicle isn't quite as rugged as some of the others here, but it's done a good job in many different scenarios and has taken me to over 120 events and 6 Mega events. It's just a 2WD road car, but it's performed well on rough roads where Volkswagen probably never intended it to go. There's something kind of satisfying in driving past a bunch of off-road vehicles in this car on a rough road. :laughing: It also has a very tight turning radius, which comes in very handy when turning around on narrow roads.

The Geo-Rabbit

66fa31ca-10cd-4286-822e-ebb97bbd3323.jpg

I've been gradually adding TotT over the years, including:

• A windshield mount for my GPSr
  • USB charging for GPSr and other devices
  • Several boxes/bags containing caching-related tools and repair materials, like logsheets, pens, magnets, containers of various size and shape, paper towels, flagging tape, etc.
  • A grabbing tool
  • Jugs containing ~7 litres of water for those fill-it-with-water caches, rinsing hands, washing off dog exhaust from shoes, etc.
  • Various tools (e.g. wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.)
  • ...and of course, a set of lethally-pointy tweezers that lives in a cubby on the dash
49 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

very tight turning radius, which comes in very handy when turning around on narrow roads.

There are times I wished I had that.

Am I absolutely sure this is the right road?!?

c753bc19-57fa-4388-b899-7ec6a8041765_l.j

Turning around was tricky.

a01133dd-8e2d-481d-9709-83113da09902_l.j

Darned willows; they extracted their revenge.  (Nobody notices my car only has 3 mudflaps now.)

db35ccce-042c-49f2-80e2-9b7ae123547b_l.j

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Ctrl+Enter does NOT enter a tighter line break (why are there 2 kinds?!?). It posts the message RIGHT NOW.

I've got two different geocaching vehicles. First is my 2008 Nissan Sentra, which I've taken off-road in more types of terrain than I likely should have with no issues. (Pictured at Noxubee Wildlife Refuge in Mississippi). My other ride is a late 1990's Free Spirit Talon Bicycle, which I mainly use on forestry service roads that don't allow cars. (Pictured in the Tombigbee National Forest.)

20220129_171509.jpg

creek2.jpg