Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elrojo14

Help me with my Geocaching Summer School Class.

Now that the educational world has to embrace Common Core, our principal wants more enrichment classes so they asked if I wanted to teach a six week, 5.5 hour a day summer school class about Geocaching! Wait, pay me to Geocache over the summer instead of me paying to Geocache? Deal.

So here is my general outline so far. I will keep updating this thread as I go along and develop the class. Any and all help and feedback is appreciated. I am quite excited.

This is a brief synopsis of what could be covered in a Geocaching enrichment class.

Global Positioning System (history, science)

• History

• release by the military to the commercial market

• how longitude and latitude work

• commercial applications

History of Geocaching

• Where the first Geocache was planted

• Wow it expanded from there

• Geocaching in its modern form

• Hiding and finding Geocaches

Technology of Geocaching

• Downloading and using Geocaching applications

• Using latitude and longitude

• Using HTML to create Geocache pages

Geocaching and History (local history)

• Using common core, read and understand local history, then go find the Geocaches at those sites

• Using local history, go plant Geocaches at sites without existing Geocaches

Earthcaches (earth science)

• Learn what an Earthcache is, study them, go find them

• Develop some new Earthcaches and do the necessary study & HTML to publish them

There are many more facets of Geocaching that could be developed into common core lessons after more careful thought and planning. This could easy branch out into math as well and really nearly any subject. The limit would be the student’s imagination.

Don't forget to include lots of Geocaching:) I would build in something where they find a certain number of each type of cache, reflecting on its location, hide, how its made, impact to the environment etc. Then have a session where they go out and look for a "Spot" for a cache, create a proposal for a Cache design for that spot, potential impact on environment, wather or not to proceeed in construction. If proposal gets your approval you can have workshop days where they build the caches, hide the caches, then create a geo trail which the other summer school kids or your club can go out and find on one of the days.

What a great opportunity! I would LOVE to get paid to geocache. :D

Depending on the kids, you could also do puzzle caches with them. That could be incredibly fun and educational. Morse code, playfair ciphers, graphic puzzles, the sky's the limit.

Thanks, I definitely think I need to put in a mystery requirement. As you said, the skies the limit on that one.

Now what are some good free apps to use to Geocache? I might have access to iPads for the class and I can use my hotspot.

Ok, the first week is done and it went well. The students are enjoying it and finding some caches. Now on to Week 2.

Tuesday we are headed to McKittrick and the tar pits, Wednesday we are presenting at the Rotary Club, and Thursday we are headed to the West Kern Oil Museum.

I do need some help. What would be some good controversial Geocaching topics I can have the students research and formulate opinions on?

For example, buried caches. Should they be allowed or not? What else can you think of?

Should a cache owner post a Found It on a cache they own? What about if they adopt out the cache to someone else?

Should a cache owner post a Found It on a cache they own? What about if they adopt out the cache to someone else?

Thanks Tricia, I used that one. It is the last week of class. I need two more topics to discuss.

Edited by elrojo14

My second year of class is coming along. I just added a travel bug race to it and found a great way to show how the bugs are doing from each bug's page. Here is an example (the race doesn't start until Tuesday so they have two more class days to work on fixing up their bugs and the bug page). http://coord.info/TB2AH1W

And I also decided to share how my class works on the tail end of the event cache we just attended. You can get a much better idea of who the class works here. http://coord.info/GC5WQFR

If you ever have more to add or suggestion, please feel free to make them. I would rather have too much work for them to do than not enough and it is getting to the point where I am having second year students that I might have to develop advanced material for.

And if you have any questions, please ask!

I do need some help. What would be some good controversial Geocaching topics I can have the students research and formulate opinions on?

For example, buried caches. Should they be allowed or not? What else can you think of?

Do you think a person has higher standards or morals, or is more trustworthy when a premium member, or is it the person, regardless of their membership status?

What should you do if you find something illegal or inappropriate in a cache (such as marijuana, condoms, etc.)?

From a recent thread here in the forum, should "agenda literature" (such as religious or political literature) be allowed in caches? If not, how could it be policed? If it's OK, what can/should someone who finds it offensive do when they encounter it?

Should Geocaching be pay-to-play?

Why aren't you a cache cop?

Can you expand on what you mean by cache cop?

Why don't you report cache guideline violations?

A good topic would be.

Should a Geocacher have to have a minimum number of finds before being allowed to hide a Geocache.

Or another one could be GPS or Smart Phones Pro's and Con's of each

Why don't you report cache guideline violations?

I like it. Do you mean, "Why is it a bad idea to report them?" or do you mean, "If you aren't reporting them, why not?"

I have always been more of a rebel when it comes to some of the rules myself!