Android compass never points to the right direction

I've tried this on three different Android phones, using several different apps from google play, and they all produce the same result. The compass never points in the correct direction, so when I'm on foot I just watch the numbers count own until I'm at GZ. Not a biggie, but it would be nice for the needle to point in the correct direction. I have calibrated the phone/compass but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Was going to try it with an iphone using geobucket, but for some reason can't get that app to work right at all.

Anyone else experience this issue on the Android, come up with a resolution? We are on Verizon network, and otherwise the phones perform very accurately.

I've run into this problem, and have been able to solve it each time by going through a "calibration" process that involves rotating the phone on each of its three axes. Is this the calibration you've tried without success, or was it something different?

I used GPS Status & Toolbox from the play store. The compass reads correctly in that app. - it just seems to be off in any of the caching apps. I just calibrated it again & will try it in the next couple of days & report back. Maybe it need to be re-calibrated just before caching.

Do you use a particular calibration app?

I used GPS Status & Toolbox from the play store. The compass reads correctly in that app. - it just seems to be off in any of the caching apps. I just calibrated it again & will try it in the next couple of days & report back. Maybe it need to be re-calibrated just before caching.

Do you use a particular calibration app?

In the past I've used the "calibration" feature in the GPS Status app (press the menu button, select "tools," and then "calibration." But the instructions for this calibration are the same as the instructions I found in an Android users' forum, and which seem to indicate that opening the calibration function in the GPS Status app is not a necessary part of the calibration:

"... spin the phone 3 times with it "flat" like it were laying down face up, then have the phone standing up and rotate 3 times, then on one side, rotate 3 times. You look like an IDIOT doing it, but it DOES get my compass working again."

I've tried this on three different Android phones, using several different apps from google play, and they all produce the same result. The compass never points in the correct direction, so when I'm on foot I just watch the numbers count own until I'm at GZ. Not a biggie, but it would be nice for the needle to point in the correct direction. I have calibrated the phone/compass but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Was going to try it with an iphone using geobucket, but for some reason can't get that app to work right at all.

Anyone else experience this issue on the Android, come up with a resolution? We are on Verizon network, and otherwise the phones perform very accurately.

The compass on my Andoid does not work with the Geocaching.com app either. I've tried everything and concluded it was a waste of 10 bucks for the app since the C:geo app works fine and is free.

Select the Radar compass within the App, and it allows you to use GPS Status' compass.

A demonstration of "figure-eight calibration" is here:

You may note that the video shows a completely different motion than the instructions on screen. I also think that if the compass is working in some Apps and not others, it's not a "calibration" issue.

Edited by kunarion

I haven't had that exact problem, but I do constantly have the problem of my Android losing the GPS lock whenever I am using it WiFi only with a MiFi device...I downloaded GPS Status & Toolbox and when in that app the lock is fine, but using any of the caching apps, (and I'm currently switching between CacheSense, c:geo, and GCDroid) using any of them, it constantly drops the GPS lock. I have to close out of the app, turn GPS off and on again, then go back into the app. Makes it almost useless. I can run GPS Status and it seems a bit better, but it may just be with that app I can see how many satellites, etc., it is reading so I just have a better idea when the GPS drops.

After searching on the internet I have found many Android users (well Samsung S3, anyway) seem to report wonky GPS issues, like your problem with the compass and my problems and other similar issues. One suggestion said to take the back off and tighten the ten little screws, and the GPS should work better, I don't know if specifically it will have any effect directionally on the compass reading. It seemed to only make my problems a little better, but not much, it's still dropping GPS signal regularly, if not as often.

Edited by TopShelfRob

If the phone is in a case make sure that there isn't a magnet in it to hold it closed - it took me a while to realise that this was the cause of compass problems on my previous phone.

When I suspect that the compass is out I use GPS Status app to calibrate it

Yes, I have experienced that exact problem with the magnet in the case lid. I was resting the tablet on the case while searching and forgot about the magnet. Soon as I put the case in my rucksack the compass read correctly. Keep any magnet well away from the unit or there will be false readings.

If the phone is in a case make sure that there isn't a magnet in it to hold it closed - it took me a while to realise that this was the cause of compass problems on my previous phone.

A few years back there was a post in the GPS tech forum from a chap who always found whatever compass he used it never worked properly, but mostly the one in his GPSr.

I had the thought that perhaps he should check what he was WEARING... and it seems I was at least mostly correct.

Nylon jacket, wool sweater etc. especially when you take one layer off, and you build up quite a static charge.

That in turn is more than enough to affect compass readings... One reason why I try to 'ground' out the charge before doing higher accuracy readings with any hand compass... In his case as I recall he was a welder and didn't have to often remove layers to build up a charge... more like a large capacitor effectively... even riding in a vehicle would charge him up, messing up the compass. He did some experimenting and went away happy. Never did find out how he made out overall though.

Anyway, it's something to consider with 'recalibration' problems... but I don't use cel phones at all.

Will look up a link for that one. There were other possible issues as well of course.

edit:Found it... Link to Topic

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Yes, I have experienced that exact problem with the magnet in the case lid. I was resting the tablet on the case while searching and forgot about the magnet. Soon as I put the case in my rucksack the compass read correctly. Keep any magnet well away from the unit or there will be false readings.

Interesting point. Does that also apply to GPS readings?

Interesting point. Does that also apply to GPS readings?

No, a magnet would have no effect on the GPS readings. The GPSr is simply receiving the communication signals from the GPS satellites in orbit to determine its position. Compass information isn't part of this process.

If a magnet were moving back and forth very quickly, I could see it creating some electromagnetic signals that could interfere, but that's very unlikely to be happening.