have a new idea for a cache

i have a new idea for a self moving cache.i dont think it will be allowed but i will put it forward anyway.basically a cache that is on a bus or a train or whatever. obviously you cant use gps coordanates so i thought of giving the bus number, not the route number which changes but the bus number which doesnt change. anyway let me know

Nope. Never gonna get approved. Moving caches have not been allowed for some time and the coords are supposed to be specific to the cache location, not to something like a bus stop where you then wait for the right bus to show up. And what about permission from the authorities to put a cache on a bus or train? Good luck with that.

i have a new idea for a self moving cache.i dont think it will be allowed but i will put it forward anyway.basically a cache that is on a bus or a train or whatever. obviously you cant use gps coordanates so i thought of giving the bus number, not the route number which changes but the bus number which doesnt change. anyway let me know

It's not really a new idea since there are caches out there, like you describe, for more than 10 years now.

There is exactly this type of traveling cache in Astoria Oregon GCJH11 and it's been around for at least 10 years.

trains change lines and so do buses, the same train or bus wouldn't always be in use and there's no real way to locate the particular train or bus to find out what route it is on for the day

Sorry for jumping on you like that. :) Welcome to geocaching!

and as for the authorites and the bomb scare..a mint container magnatized to the bottom of a seat isnt really that bad

Maybe, maybe not. You would be surprised at what people can freak out over! :laughing:

Welcome to caching!

Well worth reading the guidelines > http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Then re-read them.

And read them again.

Yes, may seem like overkill, but they do need to be REALLY read, not just skimmed over.

It does suggest:

The more geocaches that you have found, the better you will understand the various elements that make up a great geocaching experience. This knowledge will be invaluable when you place a hide, and likely make your geocache more enjoyable for the community. We encourage you to find at least twenty geocaches before you choose to hide one.

But nothing stops you from thinking about your first cache hide! :D

Sorry for jumping on you like that. :) Welcome to geocaching!

and as for the authorites and the bomb scare..a mint container magnatized to the bottom of a seat isnt really that bad

Maybe, maybe not. You would be surprised at what people can freak out over! :laughing:

Shoot. I've had people call the cops on me for looking at rocks under a tree in a public park. Pulling some mysterious container from under a seat on a bus? Yeah, I can see that drawing some unwanted attention.

For a geocacher everything is either a cache, or could be a cache. For muffles, anything they don't know about is the worst thing they can think of. There was a cache, it was a LnL (sandwich container) with camo duct tape. A woman saw it and called it in as a grenade, so you never know....

Now you could always use the number on the bus- the one that doesn't change- as part of a puzzle cache.

But you've only been caching a couple days- find more caches. See if this really is for you. See what makes a good cache, what doesn't.

Edited by T.D.M.22

ok then. im new to this by the way so i didnt know..and just to Jazzh4nds. here in australia the number of the bus or whatever doesnt change the route does but not the acctual number

I live in QLD. theres no way to tell which bus or train even with the number will be on whichever route

say train 111 was on the ferny grove to city line on thursday, it goes to the yard at close of business and might end up on ipswich or beenleigh line the next day.

Edited by Jazzh4nds

Instead of a magnet you could use the chewing gum that is probably already stuck on the bottom of the seat.

As others suggested, a moving cache like this would never get published due to the no traveling caches guideline. There have been a few threads in the past about trying to a cache on a cruise ship but nobody has had any luck with it. You could still try to construct a cache which uses public transportation. For example, a multi cache which requires one to gather information at various locations near stops on a bus or train line.

Instead of a magnet you could use the chewing gum that is probably already stuck on the bottom of the seat.

As others suggested, a moving cache like this would never get published due to the no traveling caches guideline. There have been a few threads in the past about trying to a cache on a cruise ship but nobody has had any luck with it. You could still try to construct a cache which uses public transportation. For example, a multi cache which requires one to gather information at various locations near stops on a bus or train line.

First of all, if we worry too much of what may be perceived as a bomb we wouldn't hide any caches. What I think you have to consider is that someone searching for a cache on a crowded bus or train may look suspicious. A magnetic Altoids tin or some other micro containter isn't by itself going to be much concern, but people looking under seats or behind things make make others uncomfortable.

I'd also suspect that buses and train cars are regularly cleaned. The cleaning crew is likely to find the cache and simply throw it away, even if you had permission to place the caches from the bus/train company.

That said, such a cache could probably pass muster. The key is that "GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and seeking caches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions."

You could conceivably have coordiantes for the bus stop or train station. Once there, someone would have to use information at the location to determine what bus or train you need to get on to find the cache. The cache would be listed a multi-cache (offset type) or possibly as an mystery/unknown type.

What you may run up against is the commercial guideline if you have to pay a fare.

Edited by tozainamboku