Permission in SE Wisconsin

Guest kbraband

Guest kbraband

I've been having an email dialog with a state forest superintendent regarding permission to place caches in state parks and forests. Bottom line: they are going to discuss it to check on legal liability issues. I'll post here what I find out. Meanwhile, let's make sure we do all we can to ensure a good reputation for the sport, including asking permission before placing a cache, encouraging responsible use of land, and using common sense when it comes to what to place inside a cache and where to place it. Here's some of the email:

-------

Good morning Ken. Thanks for the email concerning your activity. I also

forwarded your email to the Supt. of the North Kettle Moraine State Forest,

Jerry Leitermann, so he would know about your activity there. I do not have

a GPS device but from the information you gave and the hints on the web

site, I was able to find the cache at Pike Lake. It took me about 1/2 hour

with out the assistance of the GPS. As I talked to other Forest Supts. about this new form of recreation, some

concerns came up about liability on our part. Most folks felt that it was a

very interesting activity but we want to check with our legal staff to see

if there needs to be a more formal process to go through when someone wants

to place some non natural item (your box) out in the forest. Most of our

activities in the forest take place on our designated trails where we

maintain and inspect the surface and can give the user some assurance that

the area is safe to use. That may be a concern for us with your activitiy.

It was quite slippery on the side of the hill the day I went to look for

your cache here at Pike Lake. We will be talking about this activity next week at a staff meeting I will

be attending with other Property Managers. I am the last person to want to

create permits and such if I don't have to but I also know we are living in

a "sue happy society" today. I try to get back to you with some answers

soon. I left your cache where it was for now. Don't know if you have

checked it recently but at least 3 other groups found it before I did. So

folks are out there hunting.

John E. Wald

Forest Superintendent

Kettle Moraine State Forest - Pike Lake Unit

Kettle Moraine State Forest - Loew Lake Unit

Phone # (262) 670-3403

Fax # (262) 670-3411

Email waldj@dnr.state.wi.us

Guest kbraband

---------

Subj:   New Prospect and Pike Lake Caches

Date:   Sun, 25 Mar 2001 3:44:42 PM Eastern Standard Time

To:  

Ken,

Both Park Superintendants are a bit concerned about geocaching in state parks and forests after receiving your e-mail notice. The South Eastern Region park managers will be discussing geocaching at their next meeting. The local warden and I (chief ranger of KMSF) were sent to hike in and find it. We needed to note the location and contents. It was a beautiful spring day and we enjoyed the hike. We hit the spot within 5 ft., but it took us about 10 minutes to figure out the hiding spot.  We had so much fun in the hunt that we both felt guilty getting paid for the hour it took. We wrote in the logbook, took our picture, and left some Smokey Bear flashcards, a Smokey Bear pencil, Mauthe Lake postcard and Guide Book to WI State Parks. Our concerns were to assess the possibility of damage to the site by visitor traffic in erosion prone areas and the leaving of private property on state owned land. (Off the record, we both agreed that it shouldn't be a problem and liked the idea of geocashing as hiking recreation.) We will share our opinions with the managers and hopfully it will put an end to their fears and concerns about volunteer trails.  I did want to share some other thoughts with you and other cachers.  It would be best for the cache site areas if they were moved to different locations within the area each time before a permanent volunteer trail developed. Volunteer trails do damage the land and flora.  The placement of the New Prospect Cache is within the protected Haskell Noyes State Natural and Scientific Area.  The Wisconsin Scientific Areas Preservation Council and the Bureau of Endangered Species have identified this area because of its pre-settlement condition, old-growth forest and it contains unique native plant and animal communties that need protection. It would help protect these plant communities if visitors were reminded to tread lightly and watch where they step while traveling in this area. These spring wildflowers are abundant and very tiny and will be blooming soon.  I'm sure a decision about geocaching in WI state parks will be coming soon. My husband and I (The Mad River Paddlers) will be hiding a cache in a spectacular area west of Neillsville this spring.  Be sure to watch for it!  Deb            

[This message has been edited by kbraband (edited 04-01-2001).]

Guest Quinnow

This is way cool if they decide to allow it.

This could also give a start to other parks falling in ranks to see that we are not out to hurt the parks, but to help them and enjoy them.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

quote:
Originally posted by kbraband:

Well, no further word yet from our state parks officials as of today, but I'm still waiting. ~Ken

Ken, I believe it's a non-issue in the Kettle Moraine. A cache placed in the forest will be ignored by staff unless it creates a problem or becomes a danger to the resource.

Deb

Guest kbraband

quote:
Originally posted by Deb:

Ken, I believe it's a non-issue in the Kettle Moraine. A cache placed in the forest will be ignored by staff unless it creates a problem or becomes a danger to the resource.

Deb

OK, Deb, thanks for the feedback. Because I did not hear back through official channels, I assumed the official position was no official position that would approve or ban geocaching in state parks and forests.

And thanks for checking on my cache at New Prospect.

~Ken