strictly a caching unit

North Fork Seeker

Hi all I am looking for a Gps to be used strictly for geocaching and would like everyones opinion.....I would like to keep it at 300$ or less?

I have the Garmin Oregon 450, and I think it is probably one of the easiest to use out of the box, as you just press (it's resistive touch, so you need to "touch" really hard) the screen to navigate. No need to remember what button does what.

It's a rather old unit, so you might be able to get one at a good price used.

What I don't like about it : screen is hard to read in part shade (it is actually better in full sun). Has hiccups every once in a while (it freezes on start-up when trying to load in a new set of caches).

If you get this model, my recommendation is not to get the T model (with topographic maps) - you can load free OSM maps into it.

The successor of this model, the Oregon 600, has better hardware, but some people complain that it freezes randomly, and it is also above your budget.

We love our eXplorist GC. It is the only unit we've ever used. It is definitely just for Geocaching, but that is all we need. Loading pocket queries is easy, it holds up to 10,000 caches - not quite, but it runs happily loaded with five thousand. You can get them for about $150.

Hi all I am looking for a Gps to be used strictly for geocaching and would like everyones opinion.....I would like to keep it at 300$ or less?

I have the Garmin Oregon 450, and I think it is probably one of the easiest to use out of the box, as you just press (it's resistive touch, so you need to "touch" really hard) the screen to navigate. No need to remember what button does what.

It's a rather old unit, so you might be able to get one at a good price used.

What I don't like about it : screen is hard to read in part shade (it is actually better in full sun). Has hiccups every once in a while (it freezes on start-up when trying to load in a new set of caches).

If you get this model, my recommendation is not to get the T model (with topographic maps) - you can load free OSM maps into it.

The successor of this model, the Oregon 600, has better hardware, but some people complain that it freezes randomly, and it is also above your budget.

In between is the 5xx series. Better screen and if you don't want a camera get the 500 if you can find it most models are 550t bit are under $300 and you can replace the 100k TOPO with free maps which are more accurate.

In between is the 5xx series. Better screen and if you don't want a camera get the 500 if you can find it most models are 550t bit are under $300 and you can replace the 100k TOPO with free maps which are more accurate.

Isn't the 550 just a 450 with camera, or were there other improvements? I don't think there's ever a Oregon 500. Checking Garmin's website... no, don't see one.

There's the Montana, which looks like an Oregon on steroids. Even more expensive than the Oregon 600.

You might be right about the camera but the 550 also has a screen that is better in daylight than the 450 but still problematic. Not so bad if you are on foot because you can adjust the angle and sunlight easily. On a bike (where I spend most of my time) not so easy. My Montana is wonderful on the bike. I can always see the screen even with sunglasses on.

Touch screens all suffer from the daylight use problem. The early phones were almost unusable outside and my S4 while okay I still have to get in the right position to see it.

So either the garmin 450 or 550 and I am going to take a look at the exploristgc.

I had an explorist GC and loved it, but when I upgraded to an Oregon 550, I really appreciated the larger screen and also that it was a touch screen. Be aware the camera on the 550 doesn't take good photos, unless you have good light and even then....I used the camera occasionally for snapping info from signs. That's about all it's good for....The only downside of the ORegon for me was the poor battery life, but I have talked to others who get 8 hours out of their ORegons, so maybe mine was just a lemon...

Thanks for all the responses I ordered 450 dont need the camera of the 550....I always take my dslr everytime I go out I think the 450will fit my needs perfect......Thanks again everyone.

I hope you have fun with your Oregon.

You'll probably notice the manual is not much use. This wiki probably has much better information.

To get free OSM maps, go to http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Also, consider getting the swivel belt clip for it. I'm on my second clip - the first one wore out after about 3 years of use. With that, I clip it back to my belt when I need both hands to search.