Salem Cache Machine

travisl

Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.

(Link to dinner event cache.)

Salem, Oregon. Called Chemeketa by the original inhabitants, it's peaceful place, named with an Anglicized version of the word "Shalom." Or maybe it was named after the end of the word "Jerusalem." Or maybe it was named after Salem, Massachusetts. It all depends on who you ask.

No matter who you ask, though, there's no debating that there's more than 1000 caches within a 13-mile radius of downtown. For this CM, I've tried to pick the cream of the crop. There's cool containers. There's scenic overlooks. There's even a ferry ride. And yes, there's going to be several lamp post caches to keep your numbers high.

So fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route. Sunrise on Saturday, June 21, is at 5:00 a.m., so let's start then, at Geo George. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can.

Dinner's at 8:00 p.m. at Home Town Buffet, 636 Lancaster Dr NE. See its event page for details. A headcount ahead of time will be very helpful. Please log your "will attends" on the event page.

Note that several caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon (icon_disabled.gif). Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought after this weekend. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's environmentally sensitive, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "SCM" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 100 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Salem Cache Machine FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, June 21, 2014. Start time is 5:00 a.m. at Geo George

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We'll start as one large group, but after a dozen caches or so, the large groups will likely fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people in town are waking up.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

• Friday, June 20, at 7:00 p.m., will be a pre-event dinner. Location will be announced later in this thread, once I figure it out.
  • Saturday, June 21, at 8:00 p.m., dinner will be at Home Town Buffet, 636 Lancaster Dr NE, N 44° 56.298 W 122° 58.932. See its event page for details. Please let me know how many of you are coming by logging a "will attend" on the event page.
  • Sunday, June 22, I dare you to clean out the town. There's a lot of them.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Hey, that road doesn't exist!

What's with making us ford a river?

Thanks for catching that! Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

If dinner's at 8:00 p.m., why does the route run way past then? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 100 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this. Dinner is $13.25 per person, including beverage and tip. Ferry fare is $2.00.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way. I'm pretty sure the route will have a cache in a Starbucks drive-thru early in the morning.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Probably, yes. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

Turquoise lines show my suggested route, but if there's a brown trail or grey road that I've drawn in, ignore the turquoise. Purple "P" icons show places to leave a car for a short time. And there's these symbols:

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

The zeroth draft of the route is here, but I wouldn't go making your bookmark lists just yet. This is only my first swing at it, traditional caches only. I'm going to be travelling out of state this week, and wanted to have something up before I left, because time's running short.

The red dot caches (maybe a dozen of them) are the ones with the most favorite points, and I'm going to do my darndest to keep them on the route. Everything else is just trying to move between them and not spend all day checking a lamp post in every parking lot in town. Plus, I wanted to include the Wheatland Ferry on the route, which I think will be a CM first.

There's going to be a lot of times when we'll be driving 600 feet from a cache, and we won't get it. There's just too many.

My first (next) draft will include multis, mysteries, letterboxes, web cams, and whatever else is in town. No promises that I'll add them to the route, but this zero draft is just to whet your appetite.

The date, times, and dinner location are locked down, so start thinking about hotel reservations.

Draft 1 is up: linky goodness. Please, take some time and dig through it. If you see somewhere I've done something dumb, let me know so I can get it fixed before people start driving that way.

Thanks already to SalmonDan and Deety for their early offers of assistance.

Also: a new icon, marking traditional caches on the route with a large number of favorite points.

Edited by travisl

Bookmark posted.

Comments

#7 GC37GH9 - Temp. disabled

#33 GC23924 - Need to keep an eye on this one, last two were DNF

#55 GC23924 - Looks like it is gone, but last log claiming DNF was a found it. Oh, well.

#96 GC1AE9H - I don't know, sounds like a lot of blackberries, lots of poo and questionable container.

#100 GC1AE9H - Last two make it sound missing.

#106 GC4FNP0 - Need to watch, sounds missing

#112 GC3DFM2 - Lot's of frequent finds and then a couple spaced out DNF's, hmmmm.

#146 GC4G8EV - Reported wet, soaked, broken and then a DNF.

Some thing new

Go to cachemachine.hollenback.org and you can download a GSAK macro (link to instructions on the page) and a data file. This will allow you to insert the stop numbers in the user sort column.

Edited by jholly

GC37GH9- re-enabled today 5/14/ good to go

GC1AE9H- I think I was the last one to get it- meh/ not my idea of a good time

GC3DFM2- That's by Deety- keep an eye on it, but I'm sure she's planning on making sure all of hers are in good shape before the guests come.

Bookmark posted.

Comments

#7 GC37GH9 - Temp. disabled

#33 GC23924 - Need to keep an eye on this one, last two were DNF

#55 GC23924 - Looks like it is gone, but last log claiming DNF was a found it. Oh, well.

#96 GC1AE9H - I don't know, sounds like a lot of blackberries, lots of poo and questionable container.

#100 GC1AE9H - Last two make it sound missing.

#106 GC4FNP0 - Need to watch, sounds missing

#112 GC3DFM2 - Lot's of frequent finds and then a couple spaced out DNF's, hmmmm.

#146 GC4G8EV - Reported wet, soaked, broken and then a DNF.

Some thing new

Go to cachemachine.hollenback.org and you can download a GSAK macro (link to instructions on the page) and a data file. This will allow you to insert the stop numbers in the user sort column.

Salmondan is correct and all of my caches will be up and in good form by the cache machine. I'm printing off the first draft and taking it with me on the plane this Saturday (heading to GeoWoodstock...and 12 other states). Thanks for the GSAK Macro!

I know during my initial skimming of the list, there are a couple that need to be checked on, and a couple that could be badly impacted by heavy traffic. I should have something back on here by mid next week.

I just noticed you set the no restroom attribute. Are you serious? This place has no restrooms?

Slowly, slowly, I'm removing Cache Machine features from the Cache Machine Dinner events, because as the event guidelines changed, I've had to modify my standard CM listing to meet those quidelines.

First, I had to stop listing the CM details on the event page, and link to a forum post instead. Then I had to name it "XXXX Cache Machine Dinner" instead of "XXXX Cache Machine". Recently, I've had to promise the reviewer that I'd be at the event. This time, I had to drop the difficulty and terrain rating to 1/1. The "no bathroom" attribute is about all I've got left :sunsure:

I didn't ask, but I think it's safe to assume that Home Town Buffet has bathrooms.

For what it's worth, I just booked the Phoenix Inn Suites South Salem for my hotel room, $54 a night on Hotwire (unnamed 3-star hotel), plus taxes and fees. Your mileage may vary. Downside: it's 7 miles from the start point. Shrug.

Dissension in the THAK ranks! I booked the Rodeway Inn in north Salem for $57 a night at AAA rate (Choice Hotel points, y'know).

Rodeway Inn

3340 Astoria Way NE, Salem, OR, US, 97305

Phone: (503) 393-6000

I booked the Rodeway Inn in north Salem for $57 a night at AAA rate (Choice Hotel points, y'know).

Rodeway Inn

3340 Astoria Way NE, Salem, OR, US, 97305

Phone: (503) 393-6000

I got in at $59.95. I guess AARP isn't as cool as AAA! I tried the Choice Hotel phone app for the first time and they didn't even list the Rodeway. <_<

As a local, I must say....Great job of choices and even directions for the most part!!! I'm really excited to see if finally here. Here is my analysis of caches/directions/etc.:

Ones that should be removed:

#27 (GC1ZK7V): Area is very busy with cars on Saturdays. Parking for 4 unless they park at "mall", and then they have to cross 5 lanes of traffic in a relatively unmarked crosswalk.

#28 (GC3x636): NO Parking close by. If left on the cache machine, parking coordinates need to be added, and a .10 mile walk will happen (Park at REI....bonus for shoppers!)

#31 (GC1YZNN): Area is very busy with cars all the time. Limited parking at 7-11. Cache container could be jeopardized.

#52 (GC35D8P): This is a Dangerous spot to pull in and out of. Limited visibility, almost no parking.

#74 (GCZH9T): Very tight neighborhood for large volumes of traffic, almost no parking available. But ask Salmondan....she may say go ahead and leave it on.

#95 (GC431Q0): There is no parking at this one. I parked illegally in a gated driveway down the road to get this one.

#103 (GC4TTP2): There is no parking here, not even close without pulling into a relatively illegal spot (it's questionable if you should even park there, as you have to "jump" the curb). Pulling out will be dangerous, fast cars, limited visibility.

#135 (GCQKZ9): Security hates that this one is there. Could end up losing this cache if it was suddenly flooded with people.

#138 (GCZY0E): Half a container stuck down in a tree in a crack that has overgrown and it's virtually impossible to even get the baggie out to sign....Okay, I personally don't approve of it, but hey, others might. :-)

Now on to a list of parking/driving issues....

#138 (GCZY0E): Half a container stuck down in a tree in a crack that has overgrown and it's virtually impossible to even get the baggie out to sign....Okay, I personally don't approve of it, but hey, others might. :-)

This one was just archived a couple days ago. #13 (GC3BY1V) was archived recently, as well.

Parking and Driving Issues:

#4 - opposite side of road from driving

#6 (GC3D4E1): Private lane, cache can be approached from Royalty/Regal Dr, to small parking area (4 cars, lots of street parking, quick walk across the park)

#7, 8, 9 - opposite side of road while driving

#10 (GC2HFGT): Parking for 4 or less cars

#15, 16, 17, - opposite side of road while driving

#18 (GC4HVEX): Park at Target (KEIZER police are semi-tolerant, but DO NOT park in No Parking areas..they are ticket happy!)

#19- 22: CHANGE the order up to 19, 21, 20, 22 (GC1PACA, GC3T4DD, GC1D7DF, GC1D5C3) not so much crisscross (or 18, 20, 19, 21, 22)

#23 and 24 share parking, I believe

#28 (parking is at Keizer Station TB hotel), if you leave it on list

#30 (GC34NE3) direction at 8:14 from Turtle Love should be "continue on McLeod for 43 yds to" (It can't be reached from Lockhaven)

#33 (GC23924) Parking is closer to #32 than the directions. Limited/no access to the walking path from where the directions have you.

#34 (GC23ka7) Parking for 2 cars max.

#37 (GC23h04) Parking close for 2 cars max. Parking lot on other side of large building.

#40, 43, 44: ALL should be warned of the large volume as they are private home (permission granted), or businesses (don't know these personally).

#45 (GC2G3TP) Parking for 2 cars max (on a busy road with questionable visibility given the speed people travel)

#46 (GC46k37) Parking for 1 car max. (SORRY...we have crudy country roads with no parking spots. LOL)

#48 (GC1X27B) opposite side, parking for 1 car max.

*****#49 (GC2G3TM) THIS ONE NEEDS TO BE REMOVED FROM LIST. Truck entrance can not be parked in. Security is not pleased about cache, only one parking spot down the road at best.

#70, 71, and 72: Parking for 4 cars max.

#73 (GC209NN) opposite side, busy road.

#85 (GC1ECYX) I believe parking for 2 cars. (I don't know how crucial parking is this late in the cache machine.)

#121 (GCJHHF) DIRECTIONS are ALL wrong. You can continue under bridges after GC1PVB9, to this one, then back out of parking lot and over the bridge.

#122 and 123 share parking also.

#125 (GCN4X2) Parking lot is small and over busy on a Saturday (small kids playground is accessed from it). I hate to see this one taken off the list (great location) but they either need to park and walk it from #124, or I recommend taking it off the list.

I will be checking on the following caches this week: {list of 6} Plus all of mine. :-)

Great feedback! I'll incorporate these updates, plus whatever else you come up with this week, and post the next draft soon after. It's incredibly helpful to have the GC numbers as well as the stop numbers -- when I take a low number cache off the route, every number after that one changes, and the GC helps me keep track. Thanks!

I'm aiming for the final route to go up late next week, probably Friday, June 12. I usually post it the Monday before the event, but I'll be offline most of that week until Thursday, June 19.

I've gone through your lists, Deety, and am incorporating most of your very helpful suggestions. Some I've got questions about. Going backwards, because that's how I roll:

#125 (GCN4X2) {CONCERN} Parking lot is small and over busy on a Saturday (small kids playground is accessed from it). I hate to see this one taken off the list (great location) but they either need to park and walk it from #124, or I recommend taking it off the list.

I'm keeping it on. This late in the route, I expect no more than two cache vehicles at once, if we even get this far. Parking for this and 3124 are already listed at the same spot, so I think we're good.

#85 (GC1ECYX) {CONCERN} I believe parking for 2 cars. (I don't know how crucial parking is this late in the cache machine.)
Looks like good wide shoulders in Street View. For most stops after the first 30, parking isn't much of a concern, if there's room for one or two cars.

#74 (GCZH9T): {REMOVE} Very tight neighborhood for large volumes of traffic, almost no parking available. But ask Salmondan....she may say go ahead and leave it on.
Looks like a residential traffic island with plenty of street-side parking past either end of it. Your thoughts, Salmondan?

#52 (GC35D8P): {REMOVE} This is a Dangerous spot to pull in and out of. Limited visibility, almost no parking.
Agreed. This one looks like a bad idea all around. The cache title, "Don't Go Straight!!", is indicative that people often plow through the T intersection where the cache is located, near the makeshift roadside memorial for someone who, I assume, was a victim of one of these incidents.

#48 (GC1X27B) {CONCERN} opposite side, parking for 1 car max.
Looks like plenty of partly-on-grass parking on Waconda just past the cache location. I'll add GC2D10T Camotainer after it to encourage continuing down Waconda.

#40, 43, 44: {CONCERN} ALL should be warned of the large volume as they are private home (permission granted), or businesses (don't know these personally).
I've e-mailed the three cache owners.

#28 (GC3x636): {REMOVE} NO Parking close by. If left on the cache machine, parking coordinates need to be added, and a .10 mile walk will happen (Park at REI....bonus for shoppers!)
I've updated the route to use the parking coordinates from the cache page. That also allows me to route to better parking for GC34NE3 "USTABE Styrofoam".

#27 (GC1ZK7V): {REMOVE} Area is very busy with cars on Saturdays. Parking for 4 unless they park at "mall", and then they have to cross 5 lanes of traffic in a relatively unmarked crosswalk.
Yup - I've got the same mall parking instructions for GC1TNPM "To-Go", GC39835 "I'm So Beautiful", and GC1ZK7V "The Un-Movable Stone Garden". I took a good chunk of time looking at this area in aerial photos and street view, and think that there are sufficient crosswalks to get there, IF people park at the mall.

#10 (GC2HFGT): {CONCERN} Parking for 4 or less cars
I'm seeing a large church parking lot and a gas station, both nearby. Am I missing something here?

Draft 2 is up! Any more suggestions? Deety and Salmondan have already been a great help, but the more the merrier.

I expect to post the final version on June 12 or 13. Any changes after that will be announced on June 20, here and at the pre-event dinner.

The pre-event dinner, at 7 PM on June 20, will be at Pietro’s Pizza, 1637 Hawthorne NE, N 44° 49.964, W 122° 59.580.

I'm only counting 40 attendees for this one, so it's looking to be a smaller group than usual. I'm cool with that, but if you haven't logged a "will attend" for the dinner event, please do so.

Surely you can park at the Cherriots Park and Ride which would be unoccupied on a Saturday.

Actually, you could for both that and Unmovable Stone Garden. The "bus police" are not watching the Park and Ride as closely as they used to.

'travisl' timestamp='1401747367' post='5387334']

#85 (GC1ECYX) {CONCERN} I believe parking for 2 cars. (I don't know how crucial parking is this late in the cache machine.)
Looks like good wide shoulders in Street View. For most stops after the first 30, parking isn't much of a concern, if there's room for one or two cars.

[/sup]

Its been awhile since I found this one, so you could be right. And as you said, parking isn't as much of a concern this late.

#48 (GC1X27B) {CONCERN} opposite side, parking for 1 car max.
Looks like plenty of partly-on-grass parking on Waconda just past the cache location. I'll add GC2D10T Camotainer after it to encourage continuing down Waconda.

Awesome idea.

#28 (GC3x636): {REMOVE} NO Parking close by. If left on the cache machine, parking coordinates need to be added, and a .10 mile walk will happen (Park at REI....bonus for shoppers!)
I've updated the route to use the parking coordinates from the cache page. That also allows me to route to better parking for GC34NE3 "USTABE Styrofoam".

I checked out his parking coordinates. The second set is plausible (or people can use the Park and Ride area, or REI, or even park at To-Go. The first set of coordinates on his page lead to an area that they have set up blockades at recently to "redirect" traffic. USTABE Styrofoam is in a parking lot (my church), so I'd hope they can find plenty of parking. :D

#10 (GC2HFGT): {CONCERN} Parking for 4 or less cars
I'm seeing a large church parking lot and a gas station, both nearby. Am I missing something here?

No, I missed it. I had the wrong one over there. Sorry!

BTW, I talked to Salmondan. She definitely wants to pull GCZH9T Gus off the cache machine. (stop #74ish) While it is a neighborhood island, there isn't as much parking or even space to drive up there as it looks on the map.

BTW, I talked to Salmondan. She definitely wants to pull GCZH9T Gus off the cache machine. (stop #74ish) While it is a neighborhood island, there isn't as much parking or even space to drive up there as it looks on the map.

Consider it removed. Also:

#40, 43, 44: {CONCERN} ALL should be warned of the large volume as they are private home (permission granted), or businesses (don't know these personally).
I've e-mailed the three cache owners.

All three cache owners have responded favorably.

The Draft 2 bookmark is posted. The data file on cachemachine.hollenback.org is updated.

Problems:

#53 GC22WFH - A string of DNF's, the one found it was a DNF in the log. Last NM says the container is rusted shut.

#63 GCRJ9D - From the last log sounds like cache fell into a hidey hole and can't be retrieved.

#69 GC22WFH - Temp Disabled. Container broken, CO says will fix this week. Need to keep an eye on it.

#95 GC39AAX - Two DNF's and a NM saying it might be gone.

#97 GC39K1M - Last Found it said log was very wet and then two DNF's

#102 GC4FNP0 - Three DNF's in a row.

#108 GC3DFM2 - Basically four DNF's in a row.

#120 GC4CRZ5 - Basically five DNF's in a row. The Found it sprinkled in was found a while back with someone that did not log it.

#123 GCZXQK - Sring of DNF's. CO seems time crunched but promised to fix in June.

#127 GCZXQK - Several DNF's, one DNF says it is behind a fence on private property.

#141 GC4G8EV - NM for soaked log and broken container and then 3 DNF's

Edited by jholly

The final route is up! Find it here.

Any changes after this will be announced here and at dinner on Friday night, June 20.

Changes and notes:

1) Even more than usual, there's a lot of caches just a few hundred yards off the route. I had to draw the line somewhere, and I've tried to include the most interesting, neat, or favorited caches in the area. Of course, you're free to follow your own route, but the posted route is optimized for the best caches in the shortest time.

2) Regarding JHolly's list of problem caches: Thanks! I've looked at each of their pages, and treated them as follows:

GC4G8EV - Missing, and an absentee owner. Removed.

GC1GW15 - Private property questions, DNF. Removed.

GCZXQK - Keeping it on the route, hoping owner fixes it. Posted a note.

GC4CRZ5 - Several previous DNFs sprinkled among the logs -- I just think this is a tough one. Keeping.

GC3DFM2 - A Deety cache; previous string of DNFs were after it was indeed missing. Removed, but will re-add if replaced.

GC4FNP0 - Clearly missing. Removed.

GC39K1M - Clearly missing. Removed.

GC39AAX - Clearly missing. Removed.

GCNAPM - Owner says it will be fixed. If not, broken container is still there to find. Keeping.

GCRJ9D - We're a resourceful group. If it can be extracted from its hidey hole, one of us will do it. Keeping.

GC22WFH - The NM log says the container's rusted shut, which means it's findable. Keeping.

3)

Surely you can park at the Cherriots Park and Ride which would be unoccupied on a Saturday.
Actually, you could for both that and Unmovable Stone Garden. The "bus police" are not watching the Park and Ride as closely as they used to.
I'm going to leave it as a hike from the mall parking lot. Avoiding police isn't an activity I want to encourage.

4)

Done. It's marked as a "do not hunt".

5) Also, I've added GC2NGMJ, GC 1PAEP, and GC3VM2V since the previous draft.

Edited by travisl

The pre-event dinner, at 7 PM on June 20, will be at Pietro’s Pizza, 1637 Hawthorne NE, N 44° 49.964, W 122° 59.580.

It appears your coordinates are wrong for the pre-dinner. Going by the address and according to my GPSr, the coords should be around N 44 56.960 W 122 59.554

See you there.

Terrible Ts

I have been informed that Cedar Conundrum is back up and running as an ammo can (not original, but loggable for now).

Thanks! I'd heard the same thing last week; it's already on the route as stop #73.

Any word on GC3DFM2 "Leap Day (West)"?

Leap Day West will be up and running by early evening....I have it in my pocket to put back out when I get off work at 3. :)

It appears your coordinates are wrong for the pre-dinner. Going by the address and according to my GPSr, the coords should be around N 44 56.960 W 122 59.554

Good catch. Somehow I typoed off by 7 minutes. N 44° 56.964, W 122° 59.580 were the coordinates I intended, just a few feet from the ones you suggested.

Two items announced at dinner tonight:

1) Leap Day (West) is active, as Deety mentioned above. It's between stops 106 and 107.

2) stop 72, Sword in the Fern, is disabled, but the owner says it's because the container is cracked, and that he's replacing it. I believe it's still there and findable, if you want to try.

That's it. Hope to see a lot of you dark and early tomorrow morning.

Thanks, everybody, for coming to the event. For those of you who did some or all of the suggested route, I'd love to get some feedback. You probably noticed that there were a lot of caches near or even along the route that I didn't include.

When I organized most previous CM routes, I would pick a point and try to add every cache nearby, up to a radius of a day's worth of caches.

When I organized this route, I started by picking the caches in the area with the most "favorite" points, and then organized a path among them.

My hope was that this led to better quality caches on the route, with the tradeoff that the numbers of finds would be lower than it otherwise would be. A few questions for your consideration: Ignoring the higher-than-average number of DNFs,

• overall, did it seem like the caches were indeed better quality than in previous CM events?
  • was it frustrating to know sometimes that there were caches within a block of the route that weren't on the route?
  • do you think the balance of short hikes versus park-and-grabs was too strenuous, too lazy, or just right?

My hope was that this led to better quality caches on the route, with the tradeoff that the numbers of finds would be lower than it otherwise would be. A few questions for your consideration: Ignoring the higher-than-average number of DNFs,

• overall, did it seem like the caches were indeed better quality than in previous CM events?
  • was it frustrating to know sometimes that there were caches within a block of the route that weren't on the route?
  • do you think the balance of short hikes versus park-and-grabs was too strenuous, too lazy, or just right?

Loved this one. Good mix & great caches - clever hides. Of course, I preferred the out of town caching & the scenic areas and little "adventures". Did not mind passing up other caches for these. A successful CM for us. Loved the ferry and the history! Thanks again, Travis. We could see the difference & liked it.

Thanks, everybody, for coming to the event. For those of you who did some or all of the suggested route, I'd love to get some feedback. You probably noticed that there were a lot of caches near or even along the route that I didn't include.

When I organized most previous CM routes, I would pick a point and try to add every cache nearby, up to a radius of a day's worth of caches.

When I organized this route, I started by picking the caches in the area with the most "favorite" points, and then organized a path among them.

The caches with high favorite points were just awesome. Our group very much enjoyed doing them. Good place to start for a route. One thing I liked was a mix of city and country caches. Some how digging through a shrub in a mall parking lot is a different experience from looking is some bushes in the country. Far as knowing there was another cache a block away, no big deal. You have a limited amount of time and your simply not going to black out Salem in a day. Far as the DNF's, with my group we take your route as a starting point and then trim down the list to a list we feel we can do in the amount of time we will be caching. Yeah, some of those hikers get dropped in favor of keeping other caches to fit a full day in for our time schedule. We also drop some that we feel might be not there or questionable at best, so we have a pretty good find to DNF ratio. Of course some of the DNF's were simply because we weren't cleaver enough to find the darn thing.

I don't mind passing up caches at all as a trade-off for an interesting route that includes some higher fave counts. The caches don't all have to be high fave counts but the higher percentage was nice. It was a good mix and I'm sure a lot more work to put together. I love the country drives and the ferry was a real nice treat.

I liked the balance of hikes and drive-ups. It makes it interesting to have the hikes sprinkled about and we get to know the area better because of them. Walking across the railroad bridge to grab the cache on the other side, out of sequence, was fun. We got more time that way to see the Salem community enjoying the river. (And one-half of Team Sagefox really loves railroad stuff!)

It is nice, too, to see local cachers do so much to help make the event go well - fixing caches and providing all the useful comments during the route adjustment phase. We ran into them a few times in the route and they were very nice folks.

A memorable CM.