iPhone Vs. Handheld

I did a search for this but it resulted in nothing.

What are the benefits of getting handheld unit? Accuracy? My app tells me that it is accurate to 32 -16 feet on average. Does a handheld offer better reception? How do you download cache data to the gps or is it just print the sheets off and go from there?

Some GPS units have paperless caching, meaning you can download all the cache info- the location, description, hints, logs. Those that don't, well you will have to put in the co-ords manually, and print off the cache pages if you want any info on them.

Advantages are better battery life, no reliance on a cell signal or needing a data plan. The are probably more rugged and cheaper to replace than a phone. They can be used globally without racking up data.

Cost for a GPS with paperless caching is $150-$600.

IMO the only advantage of a smartphone is that you can grab it and go- since it connects to the internet you can just pull up all the caches in your area. No need to download anything other than the app.

As for accuracy- well it really depends. Older phones are not as accurate as even the newer phones. The best you can hope for is 20-30 feet. Anything better is icing on the cake. And for that matter it only takes you to the co-ords. That won't help you if your GPS, or the hiders GPS is off, or if someone moved the cache. Also no accuracy will help if the cache is really well camo'd, you could literally touch it and not know.

I personally use both a GPS and the iPhone app. GPS for planned trips, phone for unplanned trips,'or if I'm with someone and don't know where I'm going for sure.

Some GPS units have paperless caching, meaning you can download all the cache info- the location, description, hints, logs. Those that don't, well you will have to put in the co-ords manually, and print off the cache pages if you want any info on them.

Well, not exactly....even the non-paperless units can have the cache names, GC codes, and coordinates downloaded to them from the site. They just won't include descriptions, hints, recent logs, etc. like a paperless unit will. But you don't necessarily have to put in the coordinates manually.

I could download coordinates and cache names and GC codes to my old Etrex Legend, a non-paperless unit. I've since moved up to a paperless device, the Garmin Oregon 550. If you have the means, definitely opt for a paperless unit.

I primarily cache with my Oregon, if I'm going on a planned outing. If I'm just planning to pick up a couple of caches on the spur of the moment, like earlier this week, sometimes I'll just use my iPhone.

My app tells me that it is accurate to 32 -16 feet on average.

32-16 feet isn't bad, really. Although it has little to do with true 'accuracy'.

Without going too deeply into it, that figure is Estimated Positional Error (EPE). All GPSr units (be they phones, dedicated units, or something else entirely) have an EPE. What it does not mean, is that your unit is 32-16 feet off.

Treat it as though it were a "reliability factor". A 0 (zero) is rare; 16 to 32 is darn good; 64 or so is still good; 128-256 is still useable w/o too much concern. More than that... well, your geocaching is not over with because it is still only an ESTIMATED error probability.

How you use, or interpret what your unit is telling you has far more bearing on accuracy than does EPE.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
I did a search for this but it resulted in nothing.

Maybe geocaching isn't the hobby for you :D

But seriously, to answer your question: If you're a fair weather, walk in the park or urban geocacher - not much advantage of a handheld, dedicated GPS. As soon as you get into rougher conditions, a dedicated GPS wins on overall ruggedness, weatherproofing, battery life, and reception under tree cover.

So - what kind of geocaching are you doing, or planning to do - and what's your budget for new gear?

But seriously, to answer your question: If you're a fair weather, walk in the park or urban geocacher - not much advantage of a handheld, dedicated GPS. As soon as you get into rougher conditions, a dedicated GPS wins on overall ruggedness, weatherproofing, battery life, and reception under tree cover.

As a raw device, generally speaking, yes.