Fort Wayne area geocaching picnic - yes, we're going to have one.

parkrrrr

Well, that's really the whole question, isn't it? Would there be any interest in some sort of informal get-together of Fort Wayne (Indiana, not Michigan) area geocachers? I know I've talked to at least one local cacher who wants to meet the rest of us, God only knows why. So how about it? Any interest? We (Warm Fuzzies) might be able to organize something very informal sometime this summer if it looks like there's some interest.

warm.gif

[This message was edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy on June 12, 2002 at 09:46 AM.]

When you say "not Michigan" I'm assuming you're refering to the location of the get-together, rather than who's invited. Because I happen to be only a couple hours from Fort Wayne (either of them actually)...and if Michiganders are welcome, I'd be interested in coming (depending on when you plan it, and what other commitments I have, of course). icon_smile.gif

-------

Join us at our first 196939_600.gif "geo-gathering" on 4/27/02!

When you say "not Michigan" I'm assuming you're refering to the location of the get-together, rather than who's invited. Because I happen to be only a couple hours from Fort Wayne (either of them actually)...and if Michiganders are welcome, I'd be interested in coming (depending on when you plan it, and what other commitments I have, of course). icon_smile.gif

-------

Join us at our first 196939_600.gif "geo-gathering" on 4/27/02!

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

When you say "not Michigan" I'm assuming you're refering to the location of the get-together, rather than who's invited.

Of course. We just wanted to make it clear which Fort Wayne we're talking about; we don't have any bias against michiganders per se.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Milgren:

Plus it'll give me a chance to take another shot at GeoOtter's Pez Cache!! icon_wink.gif

Lucky for you we still have a GeoOtter's PEZ Cache, then. Have you seen what's been going on with that cache lately?

At this point, having visited the cache location three times in the past month and twice in the past week, I could probably find it with my eyes closed.

And of course, anyone who wants to come is invited, assuming it gets off the ground. We're thinking a very informal meet-n-greet kind of thing, perhaps at one of the city parks pavilions. Bring your own grub, some kind of potluck thing, or some combination of the two. At this point, we're just trying to gauge the interest to see whether it's worth trying.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Milgren:

Plus it'll give me a chance to take another shot at GeoOtter's Pez Cache!! icon_wink.gif

Lucky for you we still have a GeoOtter's PEZ Cache, then. Have you seen what's been going on with that cache lately?

At this point, having visited the cache location three times in the past month and twice in the past week, I could probably find it with my eyes closed.

And of course, anyone who wants to come is invited, assuming it gets off the ground. We're thinking a very informal meet-n-greet kind of thing, perhaps at one of the city parks pavilions. Bring your own grub, some kind of potluck thing, or some combination of the two. At this point, we're just trying to gauge the interest to see whether it's worth trying.

warm.gif

we have a tipton county in indiana? i was driving back to orlando once, and right south of atlanta is a place called tipton georgia. what cracks me up is the big billboard along the side of the road announcing "Tipton GA, the turf grass capitol of the world"

some bragging rights

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[403forbidden.urbanexploration.org]

Well, hey, as long as we're off-topic here... I was looking at my atlas yesterday and I happened to notice that there's a place in Indiana where you could put a sign that says "Now leaving Vermilion County. Welcome to Vermilion County."

Okay, back on-topic: I think we're going to go ahead with this whole get-together thing, but we're kinda putting off doing anything until after the Chicagoland picnic, which we're thinking of attending for the purpose of stealing... er... repurposing ideas.

warm.gif

Keep up on this get together.I too thought I was the only geocacher in Fort Wayne... Fuzzy, shoot me a email johnathan@hooneygarbunkel.com I will help you get the word out and assist to organze the picnic...

[This message was edited by Garbunkel on May 12, 2002 at 09:40 AM

[This message was edited by Garbunkel on May 12, 2002 at 09:46 AM.]

I mentioned this to Zuck in geocaching chat last night, but I'll put it here too: we are working on putting something together, but we were busy creating and placing Perfectly Perplexing Puzzles up to this past weekend, so we haven't gotten anything concrete nailed down yet (and if we did, it would crack the concrete, so much for mixed metaphors.)

We'll definitely say something in this thread when there's an event posted.

warm.gif

Okay, here's more information, as promised:

We're thinking that given the number of people who would like to come in from out of town to do this thing, it might be good to do it when there's something else to do in town as well to make it worth the trip. Therefore, we have decided it might be nice to do it on one of the weekends during the Three Rivers Festival, which runs July 13-July 21. The Saturdays are out, mostly because there's nothing really going on on the 20th and we have our own plans to visit the festival on the 13th. That leaves the 14th or the 21st. The differences between the two days, besides the differences you bring from your own calendar, are these:

The Crafter's Market and Festival of the Arts are on the 13th and 14th.

The fireworks are on the 21st, and if we decide on the 21st we'll try to find a location for the picnic from which we can also watch the fireworks without being caught in traffic.

The midway will be open both days, we think, but the 21st will be its last day and it might close early as a result. Ditto what we used to call "Junk Food Alley" and now call the more politically-correct "Food Alley."

The "Marketplace" will be open on the 21st, but not the 14th. This is basically a pretty lame flea market, in my never humble opinion.

So, there you have it... does anyone have any preferences in this whole thing? We're pretty undecided, but we want to know within the next week or so so we stand half a chance of finding a place to do it.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally + The fireworks are on the 21st, and if we decide on the 21st we'll try to find a location for the picnic from which we can also watch the fireworks without being caught in traffic.

good luck on that count. headwaters would be jammed, maybe somewhere downtown, but thats not the best location for a picnic. freihman maybe?

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[403forbidden.urbanexploration.org]

quote:
Originally posted by Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC:

The fireworks are on the 21st, and if we decide on the 21st we'll try to find a location for the picnic from which we can also watch the fireworks without being caught in traffic.

good luck on that count. headwaters would be jammed, maybe somewhere downtown, but thats not the best location for a picnic. freihman maybe?

We were toying with the idea of Rockhill Park, actually, close to your nemesis Earthling Vector Luna. Close enough to downtown to see the fireworks pretty well, far enough away to get out of Dodge afterwards, and a cheap-to-rent picnic pavilion. We haven't gone and surveyed from the ground, though; the railroad track might be in the way.

warm.gif

[This message was edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy on June 07, 2002 at 08:52 AM.]

Another update:

Warm has just called Parks & Recreation, and it appears that pavilions for that week are disappearing quickly. The one at Rockhill park is still available for both days, and a few other pavilions are also still available, but none of them are really great and we're really not sure about the whole fireworks thing.

So, here's what we're gonna do: we're planning on scoping out the two best locations that are still available tonight and making a decision about which one makes the most sense and whether the fireworks thing is even a possibility (we're pretty sure it isn't from any of the available locations, but we don't know about Rockhill.)

If the fireworks thing isn't gonna happen due to the sightlines from those locations, we'll probably go ahead with the 14th unless there's a huge hue and cry from this group, just because there'll be more other stuff to do around town that day.

{deleted stuff about other park; it turned out to be not worth the trouble.}

warm.gif

[This message was edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy on June 12, 2002 at 09:50 AM.]

Okay, well, here's what we know:

Psi Ote Park is, to put it mildly, a bad joke. The parks department seems to have forgotten that they own it; the only mowing it's had all season was one halfhearted pass by someone who had pretty clearly consumed more high-octane chemicals than his lawnmower had. They've just repainted the pavilion, but the rest of the park is in pretty sad shape. The drinking fountain seems to have been ripped out by its roots.

So, we checked out Rockhill Park, and what a difference. Working drinking fountain, clean restrooms, a nice well-mowed location... Needless to say, we'll be doing it at Rockhill Park, provided the pavilion is still available (and it should be.) The date is July 14. The time is whenever you can get there between 11AM and whenever we leave (probably at least 3PM.) We'll be posting an event cache pretty soon here, just as soon as we have confirmation from the parks dept. that the pavilion is ours for that day.

warm.gif

I just checked my schedule and not only am I working that day (not until 5pm - thought it might still be doable) but no, my son is in the 4-H parade in the afternoon. Given the drive time, I think it's out for us. Too bad, it'd been nice to put some faces to the log entries we've read.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

If you're planning on coming to the picnic and you haven't added it to your watch list, note that I posted an update this morning. Nothing's really changed, but if you get there and you can't figure out where the food and the live band are, don't say we didn't warn you icon_smile.gif

warm.gif

If you're planning on coming to the picnic and you haven't added it to your watch list, note that I posted an update this morning. Nothing's really changed, but if you get there and you can't figure out where the food and the live band are, don't say we didn't warn you icon_smile.gif

warm.gif