Coming Soon to Michigan

umc

Scook you should have gone out there this fall, there were a lot of ball mushrooms out there. I saw a couple that were almost the size of basketballs!

You should concider riding out there again if possible as we (MMBA) have added new trails due to the removal of a large section of trail. It is now just over 7 miles long.

Please take everything I post with an MDOT trucks load of salt!

While Puffballs are large and edible, what they gain in quantity they lose in quality.

I've gathered them before and their taste is a strong mushroom flavor even when fresh and they have all the appeal of eating styrofoam. icon_frown.gif

Dipping in an egg batter and breading them was about the only they tasted OK. That way the breading hides their true taste. And the ones I sliced and put away in deep freeze stunk up everything else in the freezer. icon_eek.gif

733641_600.jpg

Some large Puffballs found near UMC's 1st Caache

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate" - William of Occam

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Number 4 is in the works. I have a few things to get together and figure out but it will be out there soon. Stay tuned......

Glad to see you have another finder (Scook) for your cache OneStep Off.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

For sure, lets do it. Depending on what you have in mind maybe you can email the plan or we can just talk on the phone to get started or get together, OR whatever. Let me know.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Dinoprophet, I think you would enjoy the 1st and 2nd a lot more than the 3rd, besides my 1st hasn't been found in a while and is lonely out there. Again, all of my caches are winter friendly, now that we have some snow on the ground.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Dinoprophet, I think you would enjoy the 1st and 2nd a lot more than the 3rd, besides my 1st hasn't been found in a while and is lonely out there.

I'm sure I would, but I didn't think I could convince the wife to go hiking in our nice clothes before the family get-together! A drive-by, I could swing. I'll get to them eventually; maybe during my holiday break. #1 sounds like a good hike.

I like the logging idea for 3, BTW. It should add some fun to writing the log.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

vlip2.gif Now cache away, cache away, cache away all!

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

I like the logging idea for 3, BTW. It should add some fun to writing the log.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

http://www.oakland.edu/~bahafeli/vlip2.gif Now cache away, cache away, cache away all!

Well thank you. I think just about everyone in the IRC chat that I ran it across first complained about it but that could be cause they can't count past the number of fingers and toes they have. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Well see, I guess poor Trippy is the exception since he doesn't have any toes, (hence the name 'trippy') and only fingers and two thumbs. Can count to 10 then hes done.

On a serious note. I should be placing the Oakland Transit III tomorrow. And I found Take a Walk in the High Land today and it is a great cache. If you have a chance to go for that one do it.

But don't forget umc's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cache, they are all great and prime for the winter/snow months.

Victory Mike and I were hanging out this past Saturday caching and working on my 4th cache. I would have had it placed on Sunday but I came down with the flu late Saturday night. So my plan is to get out there this Saturday and place the cache. Everything is already to go for it but there are a couple of details that I will need to work out with the approval process. I will be placing two caches, the one that I have adopted Rapid View which will be changing names to umc's 4th cache once I get it placed and another one in the area. The issue is that the one is already approved since I adopted it and the other is a new cache and will have to wait the approval process. So as not to cheat any FTF seekers out of a cache I think I will wait unitl the second is approved before making the other available again. The cache page on rapid view will be changing to show the new cache. It will be completely different so don't try and get a jump on it by going to those coords because nothing will be there.

Anyway, It should be quite the cache that I have planned so stay tuned.....

migo_sig_logo.jpg

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

Nice job on being first to find our cache (Ecorse River Cache) "U". I dunno how much time and cammo duct tape I spent on that container but I wanted it to look good. My wife introduced me to Geocaching and I think it's a great activity to do with the kids. We plan on getting a little more active his summer. It's been a little too cold to drag our 5 year old out, but spring is on the way! Anyway I just stopped in to give a shout to fellow Michigander cachers! Peace

Gregthos

I just happened to be in the area of the Ecorse River Cache and it was fun. Thanks for placing it.

The Michigan Geocaching Organization Winter Social is this Saturday and if there is anyone who hasn't signed up you its not too late you can still come join us so please do so.

Here is a link for the event. Winter Social Link

Also don't forget about Operation Ice Walk

migo_sig_logo.jpg

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

Haven't been in this forum in a while and I was looking for this link for a reply I'm making over at MiGO.

Anyway, I've been thinking about doing some work on one or two of my caches along with placing another one and its a matter of time as I've been lazy lately. I really don't like caching during the summer months as I hate the bugs and heat. Go figure.

Moving on...

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

Ok folks the time is here.

My 6th cache will be available tomorrow (8-31-03), probably around noon.

It is a multi stage urban micro in the heart of South Lyon MI. Keep an eye on your nearest cache pages for it to go up tomorrow. Its sure to be a great one. icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

If you don't know yet, I'm a new Geocacher who just got started this past week. I have only gone on a find once so far and had luck. It was the 'rail trail junction'. I loved every second of it.<BR><BR>Anyway I just wanted to let my fellow Michiganders know that I did some scouting today and plan on placing some caches in the near future. I will probably wait until the weekend of the 28th so that I can scope the spots this weekend to see how busy they are. <BR><BR>I think I will start with a micro cache before that just to get the feel for placing a cache and I think a micro cache is a good way to start. As a matter of fact I picked some great waterproof micro cache containers today.<BR><BR>Just a heads up to keep your eyes open for some new caches to be placed soon.<BR><BR>Happy caching.<BR><BR>[This message was edited by umc on September 17, 2002 at 03:06 PM.]

So, have you gotten the hang of it yet?

Actually, your postings seem to have slowed a bit lately, and I thought you might enjoy reading some of this "old" stuff. :lol:

If you don't know yet, I'm a new Geocacher who just got started this past week.  I have only gone on a find once so far and had luck.  It was the 'rail trail junction'.  I loved every second of it.<BR><BR>Anyway I just wanted to let my fellow Michiganders know that I did some scouting today and plan on placing some caches in the near future.  I will probably wait until the weekend of the 28th so that I can scope the spots this weekend to see how busy they are.  <BR><BR>I think I will start with a micro cache before that just to get the feel for placing a cache and I think a micro cache is a good way to start.  As a matter of fact I picked some great waterproof micro cache containers today.<BR><BR>Just a heads up to keep your eyes open for some new caches to be placed soon.<BR><BR>Happy caching.<BR><BR>[This message was edited by umc on September 17, 2002 at 03:06 PM.]

So, have you gotten the hang of it yet?

Actually, your postings seem to have slowed a bit lately, and I thought you might enjoy reading some of this "old" stuff. :lol:

Gotten the hang of it, heck no. :lol:

I was surprised to come in here and see that thread at the top. Thanks for the reminder that this thread exists. I'll go through it and see how silly things were waaaaaaaaaaay back then. :cry:

The postings slowed, the cachings slowed and the work has been busy. I've still been around and very much involved but not as much as I'd like on the other things. Just recently I've hit a bunch of caches and plan on continuing that. Actually I have a cache hide in the works, so be looking for that soon. ;)