Hash quizes for brute force solving?

GeoLog81

I've recently seen a quiz (5 difficulty) with something looking like a cache, and the enigmatic information that cache is within N km from the coordinates.

Have I guessed correctly, that the intention here is to brute-force generate hashes of all coordinates within 3km from center and compare it with given hash to find correct coordinates?

Are there really quizzes like that? And is it at all a good quiz for geocache? Look more like a quiz for programming competition...

Are there really quizzes like that?
With few exceptions (e.g., puzzles that require downloading and installing a particular application, or puzzles that require using a site that requires registration), the answer is almost certainly "yes", no matter what "like that" you're asking about. There is an enormous variety of mystery/puzzle caches out there. I once found one where my biggest challenge was finding a source for more than 1 million digits of pi. (A lot of online sources for the digits of pi stop at 1 million digits, if not sooner.)

And yes, there are programming-oriented mystery/puzzle caches, for example, GC2BG6B.