Food Festivals (Round Two)

I just realized that the SUBJECT of this message is INCORRECT.

It should be FOOD CONTESTS.

(Can't correct the suject line after the message has been submitted)

........................................................................................

We would like to (re)propose this category with an edited description.

Description:

The mission of this category is to seek out food establishments offering in-house food-eating contests and organized events that host food-eating competitions.

This is pure gluttony at its finest.

Expanded Description:

You may have seen them in restaurants, read about them in the newspapers, magazines,online or even TV. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to document locations and venues that cater to those with ravenous appetites.

RESTAURANTS: We're talking about restaurants around the world that offer their own in-house eating contests. Examples include Da Big Kahuna PizzaChallenge, a 72 oz. BIGTEXAN steak, a BuffaloWing Flatliner Challenge or a Fatburger XXX-Challenge. Any place where the patron's reward for accomplishing a gutbusting food challenge could be a free meal, a T-shirt, a picture or certificate of accomplishment and most of all - bragging rights to the rest of the world!

FESTIVALS or FAIRS: This category will also accept food contest events held at festivals or fairs which are held annually or periodically. This could possibly cross-waymark into the Festivals Category if it's a food festival). These venues, usually held outside, include contests between contestants eating anything from hot dogs, ice cream, Buffalo wings,etc. in a given period of time, with the winner getting some sort of prize.

You do not have to participate in the event to waymark it. Locate a contest at a food establishment and show proof that one exists by way of photos, a website and/or any other documentation that backs it up (a poster, advertisement or a Wall of Fame for instance). For food contest events held at Festivals one would be required to be witness to the event as a spectator in order to waymark it and providing their own pictures as proof. If you are a participant in a food eating contest,providing a picture of yourself during your gluttonous affair is an extra bonus!

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

When titling your waymark, please follow the naming convention below:

Jimmy's Food Shack - Anytown, USA

or

Smithville's Hot Dog Challenge - Anytown, USA

You are required to include a minimum of TWO photos in your waymark submission:

1. One photo of the food item itself - (it can be taken off a website, an advertisement in an eatery, etc. if you're not participating in the contest) Please remember to cite the website in your photo.

2. The second photo (must be taken by you) of the surroundings, that is, the inside or outside of the establishment or the event facility, or the sign which promotes the contest.

3. Additional photos are appreciated.

If your waymark submission is located outside the USA, you are required to include an English translation in addition to your country's language (German, Spanish, French, etc.).

Instructions for logging waymarks of this category:

When posting a visit of a Food Eating Contest,please include a photo taken by YOU as proof that you were there in the flesh:

Qualifying photos would be of the actual eating contest, a photo of the list of those who completed or failed, (Wall of Fame/Wall of Shame), or any other proof that you were at this location.

It is not required that you dine at the location,however, normally you would be in a restaurant to order food.

Variables:

· Address or Location

· Is this an event?

· Web Address

With this revised description I would like to solicit comments from the Waymarking Community.

Edited by jhuoni

Sorry, but I have the same issue as before:

1. One photo of the food item itself - (it can be taken off a website, an advertisement in an eatery, etc. if you're not participating in the contest) Please remember to cite the website in your photo.

The few "challenges" I have attended, the audience was encouraged to take pictures.

If you are lucky enough to be in the restaurant when one of these is going on, you should be able to get a lot of photos of the whole thing. The problem is when you go to a restaurant and there is no one attempting the challenge. You could take the picture of the surroundings, that is, the inside or outside of the establishment or the event facility, or the sign which promotes the contest.

Suggestion?

This is JUST an idea, and you should get feedback from others, but something to consider:

When posting a waymark, require a photo of the establishment (outside), and either one of the food item or a link to a website showing the food item.

This may be a little more lax than the Beav envisioned, but it's something to think about, and if it helps get your category approved, even better!

Yea, I would have a problem of taking a picture of someone I didn't know doing the challenge. A lot of times, there will be billboards or posters advertising these challenges outside the establishment.

I was referring to a photo TAKEN by someone else, not OF someone else, but I'm so glad you brought this up. I would feel awkward posting a photo of a stranger on my waymark page without telling them. Maybe these days most people expect their photo to be all over social media, but it would still give me pause.

This is all just about subtleties of the category description. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but - technically - the description is not that bad.

The problem is that the idea itself is very poor, and there is no room for improvement.

Most of the already existing commercial categories are very poor and boring, they are a good excuse for all those loud Waymarking haters in the geocaching community to not really have a deeper look at the game. And I suppose, all these anti-Waymarking voices are also responsible to a certain degree for the very weak and insufficient technical support we receive from Groundspeak.

This category is not only a commercial one, it is even below the ones we already have to live with.

So, what exactly is the difference between this proposal and thebeav69's original one? I thought one of the biggest problems with the original was the inclusion of festivals/events, but those are still included. At a glance, the only changes I can see are a few formatting and cosmetic wording changes. If you want to get this through PR, you're going to have to clearly indicate how this proposal is different or the same people will deny it again. As far as I can tell right now, this is exactly the same proposal and there's no way it will pass PR.

So, what exactly is the difference between this proposal and thebeav69's original one? I thought one of the biggest problems with the original was the inclusion of festivals/events, but those are still included. At a glance, the only changes I can see are a few formatting and cosmetic wording changes. If you want to get this through PR, you're going to have to clearly indicate how this proposal is different or the same people will deny it again. As far as I can tell right now, this is exactly the same proposal and there's no way it will pass PR.

I was thinking the same thing. The photo issue was mentioned by several in the peer review process, but it's still in the category description. You can't please everyone, but..... you might want to address those concerns that were brought up before and are still present.

The two MAJOR sticking points seem to be the PHOTOS and the FESTIVAL/FAIR issue

If I drop the Festival/Fair part - Saying "eating events at festivals/fairs belong as part of that specific category", that would exclude them for this category.

The problem I see with that is there are many cross posted waymarks. My thoughts on this are that a hot dog eating contest at the County Fair should be included. The eating contest is an event within the fair. Yes, it will only happen once a year, maybe only once, but it did happen. (There are a lot of historical markers which are listed, but are now missing, there for they will never be visited.)

The photos I will agree. IMHO they should be original, taken by the waymarker who lists the event. (Copyright is a very serious issue and we need to make sure that violations of such do not occur here on Waymaking) But with the responses about "being creepy to take photos of unknown people" being raised I thought this might relieve some of those issues.

How about this:

(for listing) TWO PHOTOS:

1. The establishments sign

2. The contest rules, the winners plaque, or similar display

Additions photos (of participants or food) encouraged,but not required.

(for visiting) ONE PHOTO

1. The contest rules, the winners plaque, or similar display

Additions photos (of participants or food)encouraged, but not required.

As for being a commercial waymark. I hear you, and share your feelings. I am not a fan of a lot of the categories that we currently have. But I am not so against them that I won't visit a Subway or list a McDonalds. I won't go out of my way to do it, but if it happens that I am there and in the mood to waymark it, I will.

We can't undo the categories we currently have. We can prevent new ones, but quite frankly I sometimes wonder if we have reached the end of the "really good categories".

Let's see what comments I get on this and we can go from there...

Edited by jhuoni

The two MAJOR sticking points seem to be the PHOTOS and the FESTIVAL/FAIR issue

If I drop the Festival/Fair part - Saying "eating events at festivals/fairs belong as part of that specific category", that would exclude them for this category.

The problem I see with that is there are many cross posted waymarks. My thoughts on this are that a hot dog eating contest at the County Fair should be included. The eating contest is an event within the fair. Yes, it will only happen once a year, maybe only once, but it did happen. (There are a lot of historical markers which are listed, but are now missing, there for they will never be visited.)

The photos I will agree. IMHO they should be original, taken by the waymarker who lists the event. (Copyright is a very serious issue and we need to make sure that violations of such do not occur here on Waymaking) But with the responses about "being creepy to take photos of unknown people" being raised I thought this might relieve some of those issues.

How about this:

(for listing) TWO PHOTOS:

1. The establishments sign

(for visiting) ONE PHOTO

As for being a commercial waymark. I hear you, and share your feelings. I am not a fan of a lot of the categories that we currently have. But I am not so against them that I won't visit a Subway or list a McDonalds. I won't go out of my way to do it, but if it happens that I am there and in the mood to waymark it, I will.

We can't undo the categories we currently have. We can prevent new ones, but quite frankly I sometimes wonder if we have reached the end of the "really good categories".

With the above mentioned changes, I'd give this category a "yes" vote.

With that said.......

(and this is minor), I would prefer that when someone visits the waymarked eating contest, the options be: photo of the establishment, rules, winner's plaque, etc.

The reason is because as listed in the current description, you presumably must go inside to get a photo. I know thebeav doesn't want drive-by Waymarking, but I really don't like to go INSIDE an establishment and spend my money or be awkward without buying anything.

I DO think you should encourage photos of an eating contest in progress. That would be awesome!

You get a yes vote from me, based on the two changes you mentioned above. Good luck to all the officers on this category proposal that you have put a lot of work into!

Question for you: to post a waymark, you need to provide a photo of the contest rules, winner's plaque, or similar display. That means I DO have to go inside the establishment, correct? I cannot use a screen shot from the website that lists the rules, even if I list the link? Just confirming.

Question for you: to post a waymark, you need to provide a photo of the contest rules, winner's plaque, or similar display. That means I DO have to go inside the establishment, correct? I cannot use a screen shot from the website that lists the rules, even if I list the link? Just confirming.

I would have to say YES. One would actually have to enter the establishment.

I'm not promoting visiting any restaurant, but most of the time the "food challenge" information is not found outside.

Where does a screenshot from a website fit into copyright rules?

Let me share here....

Years ago, 1986, I worked for a restaurant named Pantera's Pizza in San Antonio, TX. The original location was in San Marcos, TX. (Pantera's Pizza is/was not affiliated with Pantera's Pizza locations in Illinois) Their signature pizza was called the Pan Handler. It was a deep dish (3 inch) pizza featuring TEN POUNDS total weight (precooked) of ingredients. The contest was to finish it, by yourself in less than one hour you get reimbursed the cost, a T-shirt, and $50. It was funny to watch all these guys come in and try to finish it. It only happened a few times in the 6 months I worked there.

Flash forward to 2011, We are living outside of Amarillo, TX. The Big Texan (Home of the Famous 72 oz Steak), is in Amarillo. My wife and I went to dinner there one night and there were two "contestants" for the Steak Challenge. It was sort of like Dinner and A Show. They have a table set up at the front of the dining area where the contestants attempt to eat all the required items. One of which is a 72 oz steak. One completed the challenge and the other, a young lady from Alaska, failed. (Note Adam Richmond (Man v. Food - Travel Channel) completed the challenge in just over 30 minutes!)

Both of these example are not the BIG CHAIN RESTAURANTS. Those are not really the ones I am looking for here. I would like to see the little guys get some recognition. The FAMILY OWNED and OPERATED establishments in your home town. (Of course, we can not exclude the Big Guys)

This, in a strange way is my challenge to YOU to go out and try a new restaurant.

Hope you enjoyed my flashback...

We now return you to our comment period

JH

I would have to say YES. One would actually have to enter the establishment.

I'm not promoting visiting any restaurant, but most of the time the "food challenge" information is not found outside.

Where does a screenshot from a website fit into copyright rules?

Let me share here....

Years ago, 1986, I worked for a restaurant named Pantera's Pizza in San Antonio, TX. The original location was in San Marcos, TX. (Pantera's Pizza is/was not affiliated with Pantera's Pizza locations in Illinois) Their signature pizza was called the Pan Handler. It was a deep dish (3 inch) pizza featuring TEN POUNDS total weight (precooked) of ingredients. The contest was to finish it, by yourself in less than one hour you get reimbursed the cost, a T-shirt, and $50. It was funny to watch all these guys come in and try to finish it. It only happened a few times in the 6 months I worked there.

Flash forward to 2011, We are living outside of Amarillo, TX. The Big Texan (Home of the Famous 72 oz Steak), is in Amarillo. My wife and I went to dinner there one night and there were two "contestants" for the Steak Challenge. It was sort of like Dinner and A Show. They have a table set up at the front of the dining area where the contestants attempt to eat all the required items. One of which is a 72 oz steak. One completed the challenge and the other, a young lady from Alaska, failed. (Note Adam Richmond (Man v. Food - Travel Channel) completed the challenge in just over 30 minutes!)

Both of these example are not the BIG CHAIN RESTAURANTS. Those are not really the ones I am looking for here. I would like to see the little guys get some recognition. The FAMILY OWNED and OPERATED establishments in your home town. (Of course, we can not exclude the Big Guys)

This, in a strange way is my challenge to YOU to go out and try a new restaurant.

Hope you enjoyed my flashback...

We now return you to our comment period

JH

Not saying I know better, but I have a hard time believing an establishment ONLY lists their food challenge rules INSIDE the restaurant, not on their website. I would think they would want to spread the word in any way they can.

I agree it will be fun to see the smaller establishments' food challenges listed on Waymarking.com

Just wondering... what is the difference between taking a photo of the rules inside a restaurant, and taking a photo of the rules from the website?

"Max"

I want YOU to go into the restaurant!

Everyone else can use the website or outside information. rolleyes.gif

Unless the challenge is to eat as many vegetables as you can, I am unable to participate in any food contest! :D

But I will support your category, however you see fit to write it, and wish you the best of luck!

"Max"

Unless the challenge is to eat as many vegetables as you can, I am unable to participate in any food contest! :D

But I will support your category, however you see fit to write it, and wish you the best of luck!

I guess you have never seen THIS - ONLY in AUSTIN, TX.

"Max"

All kidding aside: I changed my mind on the matter. I think everyone, posting and visiting, should go into the establishment. I just wish this requirement could be enforced (I know it won't be, and drive-by Waymarking will be present).

This is a virtual admission by you that this is a "really bad category" proposal & as such it should be put to bed.

"Max"

All kidding aside: I changed my mind on the matter. I think everyone, posting and visiting, should go into the establishment. I just wish this requirement could be enforced (I know it won't be, and drive-by Waymarking will be present).

I know that I replied to this last night, but the message no longer exists. I will restate, without my other comments:

FOR THE RECORD: All photos shall be taken by the person listing or visiting the waymark.

SECOND DRAFT

Description:

The mission of this category is to seek out food establishments offering in-house food-eating contests and organized events that host food-eating competitions.

This is pure gluttony at its finest.

Expanded Description:

You may have seen them in restaurants, read about them in the newspapers, magazines,online or even TV. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to document locations and venues that cater to those with ravenous appetites.

RESTAURANTS: We're talking about restaurants around the world that offer their own in-house eating contests. Examples include Da Big Kahuna PizzaChallenge, a 72 oz. BIGTEXAN steak, a BuffaloWing Flatliner Challenge or a Fatburger XXX-Challenge. Any place where the patron's reward for accomplishing a gutbusting food challenge could be a free meal, a T-shirt, a picture or certificate of accomplishment and most of all - bragging rights to the rest of the world!

FESTIVALS or FAIRS: Shall not be posted to this category. The objective of this category is to highlight those contest found in restaurants

This category will also accept food contest events held at festivals or fairs which are held annually or periodically. This could possibly cross-waymark into the Festivals Category if it's a food festival). These venues, usually held outside, include contests between contestants eating anything from hot dogs, ice cream, Buffalo wings,etc. in a given period of time, with the winner getting some sort of prize.

You do not have to participate in the event to waymark it. Locate a contest at a food establishment and show proof that one exists by way of photos, a website and/or any other documentation that backs it up a poster, advertisement or a Wall of Fame for instance). For food contest events held at Festivals one would be required to be witness to the event as a spectator in order to waymark it and providing their own pictures as proof. If you are a participant in a food eating contest,providing a picture of yourself during your gluttonous affair is an extra bonus!

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

When titling your waymark, please follow the naming convention below:

Jimmy's Food Shack - Anytown, USA

or

Smithville's Hot Dog Challenge - Anytown, USA

You are required to include a minimum of TWO Original (taken by you) photos in your waymark submission:

1.The establishments sign

1. One photo of the food item itself - (it can be taken off a website, an advertisement in the an eatery, etc. if you're not participating in the contest) Please remember to cite the website in your photo.

2. The second photo (must be taken by you) of the surroundings, that is, the inside or outside of the establishment or the event facility, or the sign which promotes the contest.

3. Additional photos are appreciated.

If your waymark submission is located outside the USA, you are required to include an English translation in addition to your country's language (German, Spanish, French, etc.).

Instructions for logging waymarks of this category:

When posting a visit of a Food Eating Contest,please include a photo taken by YOU as proof that you were there in the flesh:

Qualifying photos COULD be of the actual eating contest, a photo of the list of those who completed or failed, (Wall of Fame/Wall of Shame), or any other proof that you were at this location.

It is not required that you dine at the location,however, normally you would be in a restaurant to order food.

Variables:

· Address or Location

· Is this an event?

· Web Address

With this revised description I would like to solicit comments from the Waymarking Community.

Revised Description. Open for comments.

Edited by jhuoni

This is all just about subtleties of the category description. Of course, there is always room for improvement, but - technically - the description is not that bad.

The problem is that the idea itself is very poor, and there is no room for improvement.

Most of the already existing commercial categories are very poor and boring, they are a good excuse for all those loud Waymarking haters in the geocaching community to not really have a deeper look at the game. And I suppose, all these anti-Waymarking voices are also responsible to a certain degree for the very weak and insufficient technical support we receive from Groundspeak.

This category is not only a commercial one, it is even below the ones we already have to live with.

I totally agree with fi67. There are countries people/kids die because they have nothing to eat. I think a category playing with food in such a pervers way is not a good idea.

-lumbricus

Amen! There is little I would add here to describe my own feelings. Perhaps I could mention how gross these contests can be and how damaging for the participants health they mostly are.

This is exactly how I feel about this category.