Cleveland Metroparks

Guest Clay

Well, this is kool!! The Metroparks are setting up caches in a lot of this parks in the area. I think I have seen 4 or 5 listed already. Wish I had time to get down there to find them.

Guest SherwoodForest

achers, let's support the parks with this... icon_smile.gif Good thing I stopped at the Brecksville NAture Center to pick up the Emerald Necklace... i never get mine mailed on time.

Guest SherwoodForest

achers, let's support the parks with this... icon_smile.gif Good thing I stopped at the Brecksville NAture Center to pick up the Emerald Necklace... i never get mine mailed on time.

Guest OblongFred

Check them out again. They have a picture contest going on and, by the looks of it, they are planning a year end get together with prizes (provided of course you find all six of their caches).

Maybe if we get on the really, really good side of the Cleveland Metroparks, they can talk to the Cuyahoga Valley Recreation Area to open up to caching. But all of that is just wishful thinking. icon_wink.gif

------------------

Never hold a cat and a Dustbuster at the same time.

[This message has been edited by OblongFred (edited 08 February 2002).]

Guest OblongFred

Check them out again. They have a picture contest going on and, by the looks of it, they are planning a year end get together with prizes (provided of course you find all six of their caches).

Maybe if we get on the really, really good side of the Cleveland Metroparks, they can talk to the Cuyahoga Valley Recreation Area to open up to caching. But all of that is just wishful thinking. icon_wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by OblongFred (edited 08 February 2002).]

I think it's great what they are doing. Of course, it is also helping bring people to the parks, but why not. That's what they are there for. If cachers get a good association going with the park system, it could be a positive sign for other park systems.

Guest welwell

What a great idea. Too bad Metro Parks here in Columbus don't do that. They don't allow them in the park. I don't think they have ever even thought about what the positives to the park would be.

Hey Geocacher,

It is very nice to actually see a park system actually take too the idea of geocaching rather than fight agaist geocaching.

http://www.clemetparks.com/

This is the web sight for the Cleveland metro parks. Once there click on "recreation" on the left side nav bar and then at the top of the recreation page you will see a link to their geocaching page. Looks pretty well done. Bewarned though if you scroll down you will see spoiler pictures of the different caches (don't want to mess up the purist out there). Looks like if you regester the park will be giving out some prizes for finding their caches. Personaly I think this is a great way for both geocaching and the park system to gain from the interaction. I meet a few geocacher and the naturalist at for the park that hid the caches (We meet at a GPS class at Gander Mountain. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000087.html) and it sounds like several of the geocaches are really nice hikes. I am looking foward to hunting for them in a few weeks when I have some time.

Later

mcb

Guest OblongFred

Now that I have been to the meeting at the South Chagrin Res., I'll let you know that there were more people there that didn't know about Geocaching than that did. That is cool. More people getting the word out, means more people caching, which means more for everyone to find, which equals more fun and more ideas.

This meeting just covered the very basics about geocaching, so if you have been at this a while, you didn't miss to much. It was nice though though that there is a wide spectrum of ages around Cleveland that either cache or are interested in caching (from about 6 to about 65). There was an older lady there that got around with a cane and didn't think that she can do this, but I plugged the Cleveland Webcam Cache and Overlooking Lake Derie. She was quite happy about that.

Well that is about all that happened at this meeting.

------------------