Powertrail BC, AB

Struep

Hi Guys,

I'm from Germany and I'm here in Canada for a Working Holiday. I'm near Kitchener right now and I'm going to spend the summer in BC and AB.

Do you have a hint for me what areas and caches I shouldn't miss?

Maybe I walk a powertrail...are there other ones than the Iron Horse that you could recommend?

Thanks

Struep

Hi Guys,

I'm from Germany and I'm here in Canada for a Working Holiday. I'm near Kitchener right now and I'm going to spend the summer in BC and AB.

Do you have a hint for me what areas and caches I shouldn't miss?

Maybe I walk a powertrail...are there other ones than the Iron Horse that you could recommend?

Thanks

Struep

Do Super Doc caches. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=Super_Doc

My favourite so far is Love You to Puzzle Pieces

The SEARCH and SAW trails in Medicine Hat. Easily get 500 in 24 hours. There are 150 if I recall correctly that are mysteries. They are very easy. Some of them- at least 200 IIRC are reflective- drive at dusk and you can see them. Here's one, but zoom out and you can see all of them. http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4H58R_search-1?guid=0a8a0de1-29c1-4b25-93fd-70dd478c7493 city of 60,000 so hotels/camping/whatever. And there is the annual event in August.

Lots of nice places to cache in BC as people have said, Consider along highway 3 in the South... All the way from the Alberta Border (Crowsnest Pass Area) right on down to the coast. Lots around Cranbrook/Kimberley including the North Star Trail caches between the two areas... paved bike rail to trail project. At one time the area was ranked as the most cache dense per capita in Canada... and there are even more now. Good scenery to boot.

East Kootenay, West Kootenay and many other areas as you move West to the coast (or the reverse if you are going east of course. You can take the Northern Route through Kamloops to Banff going the opposite direction if driving. Makes a great loop. Alternate routes possible using the tourist areas.

One thing to think about... BC alone is about 2.65x the size of Germany... it will take you a bit of time to see the southern portion of that... consider this trip an information gathering sampling venture.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Welcome to Canada Struep!

Banff and Jasper in the Rocky Mountains are two MUST DOs.

Calgary and Edmonton have 1000's of caches.

And then there is Drumheller, if you like Dinosaurs and geocaches.

Also Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump park near Fort McLeod,and Writing on the Stone Provincial Park.

And there are many events where you can meet Alberta geocachers and get more tips on must do caches.

Enjoy your Canadian geocaching adventures!

I have to agree with Doug about the North Star Trail between Cranbrook and Kimberley...not only is it a wonderful paved multi-use trail (nothing motorized allowed) off the highway, but the caches are all unique and include mysteries, multis, and traditionals, hidden by a variety of cachers. It is not a typical power trail where every cache is the same. I have quite a few along there that are still stumping me!!

Enjoy, wherever you go!

Might be out of your area, but one province to the east of Alberta this summer on July 19th is the Living Skies 2014 MEGA event in Rosthern, Saskatchewan. There will be many satellite events on surrounding days as well.

Registration and geocoin/swag order cutoff is May 23rd:

http://coord.info/GC4DG0T

http://www.livingskies2014.ca/

Edited by Nezgar & Vana