Any interest in GPS/Orienteering

SherwoodForest

I've been working with the local orienteering club (NEOOC), and have tentatively gotten approval for setting up a course to be done by GPS. I'm just wondering what the interest level is out there for this type of activity. I do both geocaching and orienteering, and see this as a way to bring the two pasttimes together. So let me know what y'all think...

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

c'mon, i know you're out there... i see hits, but see no replies. I'd really like to see this work, but if there is not any interest, then i really doubt that we'd see any future events. And if you have any questions about how the course is going to work, and such, please feel free to ask me... we're still in the planning phase at this time, so all input would be extremely valuable as to how to make this really work, and be a great time for all involved... icon_wink.gif

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

c'mon, i know you're out there... i see hits, but see no replies. I'd really like to see this work, but if there is not any interest, then i really doubt that we'd see any future events. And if you have any questions about how the course is going to work, and such, please feel free to ask me... we're still in the planning phase at this time, so all input would be extremely valuable as to how to make this really work, and be a great time for all involved... icon_wink.gif

I love the idea but, well, Northeast Ohio is a little far away from me. I'm one of the hits you see with no replies; I suspect people in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, or Missouri might be some of the others.

Being on the very edge of the area covered by the Midwest forum, you might consider also posting in the Northeast forum and maybe even the Canada forum.

warm.gif

yeah, i realize there is a lot more midwest than just ohio, so that's why i cross-posted to organized geocaching forum too, but i may take heed and post so that Pennsy cachers can find it too. And again, any thoughts that people have about ways to set it up, i'm glad to listen. for instance, i'm trying to decide if i should pre-post all the coords for all the GPS controls on the clue sheet so they can all be entered in (and a route made...) or just give out the first location, which tells you the coords for the second, and so on to the last control which gives you coords for the start/finish (and the actual physical cache with trinkets)... maybe i should start a poll?

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

I love the idea but, well, Northeast Ohio is a little far away from me. I'm one of the hits you see with no replies; I suspect people in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, or Missouri might be some of the others.

Guilty as charged! icon_biggrin.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Guilty as charged! icon_biggrin.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

In the St. Louis area we have a real nice park (Greensfelder St. Louis county Park) that is all wooded and contains lots of trails. In the mid 70's they used to hold orienteering events here, but I don't think they do any more. Most of the original posts (20) still exists and contain a post # and a 2 letter code. There are 3 caches in this park that take advantage of the posts as waypoints. One simply uses the 2 leters on the post to convert to a number for the offset in feet to the actual cache. Another uses 5 of the posts as WP's where the post numbers are put into a table and substituted in another table for the actual cache location. The 3rd one uses 4 posts as waypoints and the post number is used in a formula to caclulate the bearing and distance to the next post.

• The 3 caches are:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10059

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=17744

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=24062

I hope this is what you meant by your question.

Rich

I am a member of the North Texas Orienteering Association (NTOA), and we plan on having a GPS-only course at one of our meets next year. Let me know how yours turns out.

Wish I could try your course, being a native of NE Ohio myself. I grew up in Mentor. Unfortunately, I now live 1400 miles away.

25021_1200.gif

We currently have the "Buckeye Transmitter Association" ( http://www.cros.net/dougd/thunt/ ), but that is for finding hidden transmitters with a radio receiver of some type.

I like the idea of setting up an orienteering hunt. We could make the last leg of the hunt the picnic where the food is waiting icon_smile.gif

I think only the first coordinate should be revealed, and the a new one at each location found.

Zaarenoc

We currently have the "Buckeye Transmitter Association" ( http://www.cros.net/dougd/thunt/ ), but that is for finding hidden transmitters with a radio receiver of some type.

I like the idea of setting up an orienteering hunt. We could make the last leg of the hunt the picnic where the food is waiting icon_smile.gif

I think only the first coordinate should be revealed, and the a new one at each location found.

Zaarenoc

well i hope your even goes well... my event isn't until halloween... going to the orienteering club officer's meeting tonight, so hopefully will have more details set in stone soon... icon_smile.gif hopefully will have info by the time of the cleveland metroparks geocaching picnic... icon_smile.gif

well i hope your even goes well... my event isn't until halloween... going to the orienteering club officer's meeting tonight, so hopefully will have more details set in stone soon... icon_smile.gif hopefully will have info by the time of the cleveland metroparks geocaching picnic... icon_smile.gif

I was discussing the possibility of having an Geo-Caching vs Orienteering meet here in Cincinnati. I am pres. of OCIN and I think it would be a great time. Maybe we could have a combined meet this fall.

The way I envision it would be to have an event that would have the standard array of O courses, but all controls would have their co-ordinates marked on the clue sheets. The maps would have the start premarked on them, but nothing else. The maps and cluesheets would not be turned over until the participant was on the clock. O-er's would begin by marking their maps, Geo-cachers could chose to premark their maps or to begin loading co-ordinates in their units.

How does this format sound?

For those unclear as to what orienteering is or to find the nearest club, see raphic@fuse.net[/email]www.us.orienteering.orraphic@fuse.net[/email