Minnesota Geocaching Association

Bobhiker

If anyone has any ideas or skills on getting this thing going, please post them. I think if we all get together on this we can come up with a system of working with parks to make geocaching work. I think if we do not do this, we will loose the Three River Park District too. (Formerly Hennipen Parks). If we don't come up with a positive side to this and communicate it, they will only see the bad.

I think if we come up with some guidelines and work with individual parks to sponsor a cache, we can make this work. But it will take all of us to work with individual parks and managers to identify the issues that we would need to work around. Some issues are identifying areas considered sensitive, the type of cache to use, wheather it should be secured or not, amount of traffic each cache receives, how often it needs to be moved, and a sponsor to monitor and maintain each cache. As you can see it will take all of us to do this.

You can say each cache out there already has an owner, but I think most of them have not been in communication with the individual park managers, nor are they being properly maintained. I am thinking of one in a Three Rivers Park that I visited. I would be embarrassed to even use that one as an example due to the poor quality of it. I don't consider gladware full of water a cache.

If anyone is interested in this idea and has ideas, please post them. The Three Rivers Park is about to rule on this activity and I don't think they have a very positive view on it. We need to work fast. If we can gain their support and show we can improve this activity working with them, then we can work on the State Parks. If we don't improve our image as a local group concerned about the issues, we will be only be allowed to cache in our backyards. Thankyou for your time.

I'm relatively new to GeoCaching (ok, extremely new), but I would love to be involved the the a Minnesota GeoCachers group!

Even though most of the people who want to start the Minnesota cachers group are probably in the Twin Cities, keep me updated even though I'm up here in Duluth. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by SnowLeopard on May 16, 2002 at 11:15 AM.]

I'm relatively new to GeoCaching (ok, extremely new), but I would love to be involved the the a Minnesota GeoCachers group!

Even though most of the people who want to start the Minnesota cachers group are probably in the Twin Cities, keep me updated even though I'm up here in Duluth. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by SnowLeopard on May 16, 2002 at 11:15 AM.]

Hey, this is not just a local group. All Minnesotans are welcome! Even new ones! State Parks are all over Minnesota and we will need people from all over the state to work with the individual managers to respectfully sponsor a cache in State Parks. Sounds like we might have a chance on the individual level, refering to the notes over on the "Illegal caches in Minnesota" forum.

Those folks down there near forestville SP. Good Job. Let's try and meet with Arol and find out if there can be a possibility of discussing and working together on the issues on his or her mind. Lets identify issues and set guidlines as a group as to how we will geocache respectfully. I'm not a tree hugger, I've cut down many, but I think we do have to identify issues parks have and show them that we can work with them, rather than against them.

Here is link to the Wisconsin Geocaching Associations website.

www.wi-geocaching.com

Anyone with computer skills to build something like this. Or any other ideas on how we can work as a group together. Thanks for your inputs. Rob

icon_eek.gif My email is WWW.BOBHIKER22931518@CS.COM

[This message was edited by Bobhiker on May 17, 2002 at 08:38 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bobhiker on May 17, 2002 at 08:41 AM.]

Hey, this is not just a local group. All Minnesotans are welcome! Even new ones! State Parks are all over Minnesota and we will need people from all over the state to work with the individual managers to respectfully sponsor a cache in State Parks. Sounds like we might have a chance on the individual level, refering to the notes over on the "Illegal caches in Minnesota" forum.

Those folks down there near forestville SP. Good Job. Let's try and meet with Arol and find out if there can be a possibility of discussing and working together on the issues on his or her mind. Lets identify issues and set guidlines as a group as to how we will geocache respectfully. I'm not a tree hugger, I've cut down many, but I think we do have to identify issues parks have and show them that we can work with them, rather than against them.

Here is link to the Wisconsin Geocaching Associations website.

www.wi-geocaching.com

Anyone with computer skills to build something like this. Or any other ideas on how we can work as a group together. Thanks for your inputs. Rob

icon_eek.gif My email is WWW.BOBHIKER22931518@CS.COM

[This message was edited by Bobhiker on May 17, 2002 at 08:38 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bobhiker on May 17, 2002 at 08:41 AM.]

I really like the idea of taking responsibility for your cache. I'd like to suggest that in keeping with the low impact that these park managers are so concerned about, that moving the cache after 10-20 logs is an essential part of our agreement when plac ing in state parks, forests and as a good rule of thumb with every placement, anywhere. This means either never placing a cache that you can or will not return to, or set up the log book in such a way that when X number of logs are hit, that the next finder have fun, relocate the cache within the same park, and report those co-ordinates to the cache owner so that they can update their cache page.

"Oh nuts, we don't even have an association yet, and Irvingdog is rattling off opinions already" icon_wink.gif

boo2.jpg

I really like the idea of taking responsibility for your cache. I'd like to suggest that in keeping with the low impact that these park managers are so concerned about, that moving the cache after 10-20 logs is an essential part of our agreement when plac ing in state parks, forests and as a good rule of thumb with every placement, anywhere. This means either never placing a cache that you can or will not return to, or set up the log book in such a way that when X number of logs are hit, that the next finder have fun, relocate the cache within the same park, and report those co-ordinates to the cache owner so that they can update their cache page.

"Oh nuts, we don't even have an association yet, and Irvingdog is rattling off opinions already" icon_wink.gif

boo2.jpg

Bob, I think this is a great idea, and know that I, my dad (Kleiner), and a couple others we know are concerned about this topic and willing to organize (I feel like I'm joining a union!)

My question is have other states had organizations like this to bounce ideas off of? If someone has already gone down this path, it would be much easier for us.

Cache on!

ck - Mankato

Hey, I'm part of a union, and it sure is nice to be a member of one. As a group we can get more done.

I agree with moving the cache every so often. I am not sure after how many visits it would need to be moved. I guess it would depend on how often it is visited and if vegitation around it is getting trampled or not. If a cache doesn't get visited often, it might not see much wear around it.

But I think one person per park needs to build a relationship with the Park Manager so that we can learn the individual issues they may have in that park. Such as sensitive areas to avoid, how far off the trail to place it, and how often they feel we should move it. I think it should be checked every so often too, just to check the contents for inappropriate items, and see how the area is weathering. So this is why I don't think just anyone should move it after so many visits.

Issues I think we need to discuss are:

1. Type of cache.

2. Lockable?

3. How often moved.

4. How far off trail.

5. Relationship with Park Managers.

6. Define areas of park not to cache in.

7. Who is going to maintain cache.

8. How often to check on. Might be able to do this with notes people write on their visits.

Eventually we will have guidelines set up. I don't want to call them rules, but I think we need something set up so that we are all together on this when we go to a park manager and try to convince them on sponsoring this activity in their parks. If we have guidelines, they and we will know what to expect from each other.

I received a reply from Mr. Hains from the DNR down in Saint Paul. When I get home I will try to copy it over on this forum. He mentions many issues I listed above. I am also in contact with a manager with the Minnesota Wildlife Refuge. He said he was glad I was asking, but that it would be illegal to bury a cache in the refuge. We have a lot of educating to do! The more ideas we get, the better. Thanks for your input.

In these days of family values and emphasis on family "quality" time what better way to accomplish this than by geocaching. I take at least one my own 5 kids with me every time -- we look at wildlife, pick up trash, listen to the birds, look at leaves, in other words, lots of learning activities with a bonus of finding a new toy or trinket at the end of the adventure. We have always tried to leave the area better than we found it.

We are very conscious of the environment and I firmly believe that most geocachers are. I use this sport to teach my kids about lots of things that most urban kids don't know. We do not trespass or disrespect the parks. Please let the park administrators know that sometimes it is families who are coming and LEARNING there -- isn't that what the park is there for?

I also would be VERY interested in an association being formed.

Hey guys. It's awesome that you're looking to group up icon_smile.gif We are beginning to congeal here in Michigan and I think it's starting to help at least get the word out about events.

I know the GA group had some good docs that helped us out when forming up. We also registered a domain name ($15 through directnic.com) and got hosting through Cyberwings.com

They were a little slow to set up but it was only $3!! For the year!! icon_smile.gif Those deals are gone, but you can get a whole year with the ability to host 6 domains and subdomains, 100MB disk space, full DNS rights, 6 MySQL databases, and 12GB xfer per month for $30 a year.

No setup fees and in June they start same day setup on these accounts. We've had the hosting for about a week now and I'm happy with it. Does PHP too. So that's a tip if you have any web-minded people.

First thing we did was start a yahoogroup and then we branched to a web site (which actually inst' up just yet) from there. We use the web site to post articles by members, event write ups, and other information about other groups and geocaching in general. It'll be at

www.mi-geocaching.org

within the next two weeks.

I think grouping is the absolute best way to get your word out. In these touchy times, consistency in a message is key. Good luck, LMK if I can be any help to you!

--------

trippy1976

migo2.gif

Hey guys. It's awesome that you're looking to group up icon_smile.gif We are beginning to congeal here in Michigan and I think it's starting to help at least get the word out about events.

I know the GA group had some good docs that helped us out when forming up. We also registered a domain name ($15 through directnic.com) and got hosting through Cyberwings.com

They were a little slow to set up but it was only $3!! For the year!! icon_smile.gif Those deals are gone, but you can get a whole year with the ability to host 6 domains and subdomains, 100MB disk space, full DNS rights, 6 MySQL databases, and 12GB xfer per month for $30 a year.

No setup fees and in June they start same day setup on these accounts. We've had the hosting for about a week now and I'm happy with it. Does PHP too. So that's a tip if you have any web-minded people.

First thing we did was start a yahoogroup and then we branched to a web site (which actually inst' up just yet) from there. We use the web site to post articles by members, event write ups, and other information about other groups and geocaching in general. It'll be at

www.mi-geocaching.org

within the next two weeks.

I think grouping is the absolute best way to get your word out. In these touchy times, consistency in a message is key. Good luck, LMK if I can be any help to you!

--------

trippy1976

migo2.gif

The main 'group' is really pretty loosely organized. It's primarily a very good conduit for information. Michigan is far too large to support a group that's 'centered' anywhere. I suspect most states will experience this. So we depend on individuals and smaller groups in regions to organize events. Occasionally the main group will toss something together, that's the intention. However, the majority of events will not be planned by the 'group' but by individuals and support will be provided by the group to get the word out about the event and news that is pertinent to all the cachers in Michigan.

--------

trippy1976

migo2.gif

My husband and I are new to geocaching and love the activity. I would hate to see it limited by park administrators because of bad publicity. I agree with Centris about stressing the good that comes from geocachers. We too, take out trash we find as we hike; also we respect the plant life and do not trespass or disrespect the parks. I also agree that working with the park management to find out what the issues are and coming up with solutions to those issues will go a long way in giving geocaching good publicity.

As far as putting up a web site, I would be willing to work on that, but it seems a little premature at this point. I can put the website together, but I would need help on the content. What, as a group do we want out there, who would compose the textual content, where would graphics/pictures come from? If others want to contribute to the site, how would that be handled. Who would host the site? There are plenty of other questions to be answered before the site could be developed.

Hi folks. Here is a email I sent to Mr. Hains down at the MN DNR.

Dear Mr. Hains.

Please send me the information on the issues the State has with Geocaching in Minnesota State Parks. I think it is possible to work together and continue this activity with the cooperation of Minnesota State Parks on a park by park basis. I think guidelines can be developed on the type of cache used, and the location in which it is placed, and on how often it is moved. I think geocachers can develop a relationship with individual park management to work on these issues. Geocaching is a rapidly growing activity and there are parks around the world that are starting to sponsor it. I know of scout troops, elementary classes, and schools that have built caches and started travel bugs to learn more about the environment and geography.

Please put more thought into this and maybe we can all work together on some guidelines to follow so this activity can benefit both geocachers and Minnesota State Parks.

Sincerely, Bobhiker.

[This message was edited by Bobhiker on May 22, 2002 at 03:28 PM.]

And... here is the response I received from Mr. Hains.

Thanks for your note. As you have heard, we are working on procedures to not allow geo-caching in state parks, at least for the immediate future. Within the next few weeks, we will be getting information to our site managers on exactly how this will be managed. We gave this quite a bit of thought, weighing the interest we had in the positive sides of the recreation, and the concerns we had about it. At this point, the concerns were a greater issue and outbalanced the positives, from our perspective. We are not necessarily thinking of this as a permanent decision, but only time will tell on that. For now we felt that we needed to take a position, and this seemed the most responsible approach for us.

The concerns that we have are as follows.

First of all, you have to look at this from the perspective of a Government Agency. If we sanction the activity, we are not going to be able to avoid responsibility and just walk away. If there are problems, we will be partners in the resolution. If there are court cases, we have deep pockets. I think that you can see what that could mean.

Second, there are resource concerns. We are very concerned about maintaining the resources and ecosystems in state parks. It is a major responsibility that we are given through state law. Obviously, a poorly placed cache, or one that is dug into the ground, or one that is disguised by covering it with vegetation from at the site, or one that attracts quite a bit of use into a sensitive area could be quite damaging. In some areas, even a small amount of traffic can have serious impacts, destroying plants, creating volunteer trails, starting erosion, and so on.

Third, there are concerns about what might be in caches. We understand that people who pusblish the locations of a cache (especially if they worked with us before hand) would most likely use good judgement about what they place in the cache. We trust that they would avoid any offensive or dangerous materials. But if we don't work with people in advance, we are not so sure that the sites would always meet standards of good taste and safety. We are concerned about what visitors to the site might do to the cache, in terms of making it hazardous or offensive to others. This seems to be an uncontrolled aspect to the sport that could be quite enticing to people whose intentions may not be all positive.

The fourth issue is workload. Some of the concerns that I mentioned above could be mitigated by having our staff work with geo-cachers on placement locations and contents, check caches on a regular basis, work out problems if they arise, etc. It might not be completely effective, but would certainly help. Timing on this is just not the best, as we are looking at large reductions in our budget for next year. Our focus right now is how to reduce work load on staff, and we are simply not very interested in taking on extra responsibilities at this time.

I hope that answers most of your questions. With some time, we may be able to work around the concerns we have. We may not. Also in time, we may see how the sport evolves. It may evolve very positively, or it may not. Given the issues listed above, we felt that the logical approach, at this time, is to not allow geo-caching. I would be happy to discuss this further, if you like, and I am sure we will be willing to give this further consideration and re-evaluation at some future time.

Mr. Hains.

As you can see, he put a lot of thought into this letter. The issues are real and genuine. I guess the state doen't want to be liable if anything happens. This is understandable. What can we do??? Keep the good ideas coming...

Here is Mr. Hains email address.

ron.hains@dnr.state.mn.us

If you write, please be courteous and respectful. Sounds like he is willing to listen and work with us in the near future. We need to get a good relationship going. Thanks Bob icon_eek.gif

[This message was edited by Bobhiker on May 22, 2002 at 03:34 PM.]

And... here is the response I received from Mr. Hains.

Thanks for your note. As you have heard, we are working on procedures to not allow geo-caching in state parks, at least for the immediate future. Within the next few weeks, we will be getting information to our site managers on exactly how this will be managed. We gave this quite a bit of thought, weighing the interest we had in the positive sides of the recreation, and the concerns we had about it. At this point, the concerns were a greater issue and outbalanced the positives, from our perspective. We are not necessarily thinking of this as a permanent decision, but only time will tell on that. For now we felt that we needed to take a position, and this seemed the most responsible approach for us.

The concerns that we have are as follows.

First of all, you have to look at this from the perspective of a Government Agency. If we sanction the activity, we are not going to be able to avoid responsibility and just walk away. If there are problems, we will be partners in the resolution. If there are court cases, we have deep pockets. I think that you can see what that could mean.

Second, there are resource concerns. We are very concerned about maintaining the resources and ecosystems in state parks. It is a major responsibility that we are given through state law. Obviously, a poorly placed cache, or one that is dug into the ground, or one that is disguised by covering it with vegetation from at the site, or one that attracts quite a bit of use into a sensitive area could be quite damaging. In some areas, even a small amount of traffic can have serious impacts, destroying plants, creating volunteer trails, starting erosion, and so on.

Third, there are concerns about what might be in caches. We understand that people who pusblish the locations of a cache (especially if they worked with us before hand) would most likely use good judgement about what they place in the cache. We trust that they would avoid any offensive or dangerous materials. But if we don't work with people in advance, we are not so sure that the sites would always meet standards of good taste and safety. We are concerned about what visitors to the site might do to the cache, in terms of making it hazardous or offensive to others. This seems to be an uncontrolled aspect to the sport that could be quite enticing to people whose intentions may not be all positive.

The fourth issue is workload. Some of the concerns that I mentioned above could be mitigated by having our staff work with geo-cachers on placement locations and contents, check caches on a regular basis, work out problems if they arise, etc. It might not be completely effective, but would certainly help. Timing on this is just not the best, as we are looking at large reductions in our budget for next year. Our focus right now is how to reduce work load on staff, and we are simply not very interested in taking on extra responsibilities at this time.

I hope that answers most of your questions. With some time, we may be able to work around the concerns we have. We may not. Also in time, we may see how the sport evolves. It may evolve very positively, or it may not. Given the issues listed above, we felt that the logical approach, at this time, is to not allow geo-caching. I would be happy to discuss this further, if you like, and I am sure we will be willing to give this further consideration and re-evaluation at some future time.

Mr. Hains.

As you can see, he put a lot of thought into this letter. The issues are real and genuine. I guess the state doen't want to be liable if anything happens. This is understandable. What can we do??? Keep the good ideas coming...

Here is Mr. Hains email address.

ron.hains@dnr.state.mn.us

If you write, please be courteous and respectful. Sounds like he is willing to listen and work with us in the near future. We need to get a good relationship going. Thanks Bob icon_eek.gif

[This message was edited by Bobhiker on May 22, 2002 at 03:34 PM.]

kleiner: thanks. thanks also to everyone that stopped by! You guys that haven't: come on over!

I am excited to get some stories specific to geocaching in our area! Anybody that is interested in contributing *please* speak up. icon_smile.gif This can be anything! If you'd like to get involved in some other way, there's lots of cool stuff we can do! How about a newsletter of some sort? And when's our first GeoParty? The possibilities are endless! icon_smile.gif:cool:;)

Brenna

Bump On A Log

kleiner: thanks. thanks also to everyone that stopped by! You guys that haven't: come on over!

I am excited to get some stories specific to geocaching in our area! Anybody that is interested in contributing *please* speak up. icon_smile.gif This can be anything! If you'd like to get involved in some other way, there's lots of cool stuff we can do! How about a newsletter of some sort? And when's our first GeoParty? The possibilities are endless! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Brenna

Bump On A Log

Below is an email I sent to Mr Hains at the DNR. I hope he sees my suggestion as a way to keep Geocaching in the parks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mr Hains:

I am a new geocacher here in Minnesota. I understand there has been discussions of banning geocaching within the state parks. I have read emails discussing this and know you have had many pleas to keep geocaching in the state parks. While this is another plea, I am also offering a possible solution.

Some of the geocache sites are called virtual caches. They are simply the coordinates to a spot on the earth, usually there so something special about that spot. The geocacher would go to that spot and then email the owner with the description of the spot, or an answer to a question about the spot, etc. and then the geocacher would get credit for the find. While these are fun, they are not as attractive as a cache that has a container of "treasures" and log book.

What I was hoping would be a solution to keeping caching in the parks would be for a owner of the cache to work with the park ranger before "placing" a virtual cache. Together, they would determine an appropriate spot for a virtual cache in the park. Perhaps on an interpretive trail at a sign post or interpretive marker. The geocacher would have to answer a specific question about that spot. The twist with this cache would be that a container for the cache would be held back at the ranger station. The successful geocacher would give a staff member at the station the answer to the question and if correct the geocacher would be given the cache container to make the log entry and exchange treasures. While this would cause a slight increase in staff time, it would be significantly lower than the increases you refered to in your letter to Mr Sime earlier this month. Also this would still give the park control over the cache container to ensure no dangerous materials were left in the container. The virtual caches would be on park trails so this would eliminate the off-trail wanderings of geocachers and the disturbance of ecosystems.

I am hoping you will find this a positive solution that could be adopted by the parks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I will let you know what response I get.

The lady of LADY and LADDY bugs.

I've been asked to clarify my previous posts in this thread about GEM. I am NOT talking about monetary contributions! I am asking for contributions to the website... be it stories, or news, or links!

I am sorry for any confusion. icon_smile.gif It never occured to me that this could be mistaken.

Thanks!

Brenna

Bump On A Log

I've been asked to clarify my previous posts in this thread about GEM. I am NOT talking about monetary contributions! I am asking for contributions to the website... be it stories, or news, or links!

I am sorry for any confusion. icon_smile.gif It never occured to me that this could be mistaken.

Thanks!

Brenna

Bump On A Log

I am able to provide free web hosting for the web site. The isp I work for is very willing to provide the space. The only kind of site we would not be able to host currently, is if the site is designed with asp, but the current site that was vol. created seems to be no problem. I also want thank Ramsey County for their very postive and well posted policy on geocaching. Please email me at rtate@ssmnet.net concerning any free hosting for the site.

http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/parks/parks_trails/hiking.html

The following is the rsponse from Mr Hains to my geocache suggestion for state parks. I have also included my initial message to him, at the bottom of his reply.

The sad note here is that it looks like it will be a year or two before the state will even begin to re-evaluate permitting Geocaching at the state parks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ms Combs,

Thank you for the note. I think that what you are proposing is very

likely the direction that we will be interested in looking at when we

get back to re-evaluating geocaching. We like the idea of doing

something in this area for the future. We even like the idea of

sponsoring some virtual caches around the system ourselves. At this

time, though, we are working our way through some serious budget

problems which will close almost half our campgrounds this fall, we are

also understaffed, wrestling with a major hiring freeze and freeze on

contracts, and reorganizing the department. We understand that these

are internal matters and not of particular concern to our users, but I

present them with the hope that it keeps us from seeming unreasonable in

our decision to prohibit geocaching in the immediate future. I think

that maintaining some credibility is important so we can maintain some

dialogue with geocachers. This just happens to be a particularly

difficult period to give a lot of time to a new issue. With geocaching

we need to resolve some concerns or it will not be a recreation that we

will be able to consider. Your proposal is heading in the direction

that I think will get us to a resolution, and while we are not in a

position to make promises right now, I hope that in a year or two we can

follow up on this. Thanks, again, for your well considered proposal.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Mr Hains

I am a new geocacher here in Minnesota. I understand there has been

discussions of banning geocaching within the state parks. I have read

emails discussing this and know you have had many pleas to keep

geocaching

in the state parks. While this is another plea, I am also offering a

possible solution.

Some of the geocache sites are called virtual caches. They are simply

the

coordinates to a spot on the earth, usually there so something special

about

that spot. The geocacher would go to that spot and then email the

owner

with the description of the spot, or an answer to a question about the

spot,

etc. and then the geocacher would get credit for the find. While these

are

fun, they are not as attractive as a cache that has a container of

"treasures" and log book.

What I was hoping would be a solution to keeping caching in the parks

would

be for a owner of the cache to work with the park ranger before

"placing" a

virtual cache. Together, they would determine an appropriate spot for

a

virtual cache in the park. Perhaps on an interpretive trail at a sign

or interpretive marker. The geocacher would have to answer a specific

question about that spot. The twist with this cache would be that a

container for the cache would be held back at the ranger station. The

successful geocacher would give a staff member at the station the

answer to

the question and if correct the geocacher would be given the cache

container

to make the log entry and exchange treasures. While this would cause

a

slight increase in staff time, it would be significantly lower than

the

increases you refered to in your letter to Mr Sime earlier this month.

Also

this would still give the park control over the cache container to

ensure no

dangerous materials were left in the container. The virtual caches

would be

on park trails so this would eliminate the off-trail wanderings of

geocachers and the disturbance of ecosystems.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the help getting this going. All your ideas help. For those who haven't been following this, come on over and check out the Minnesota Geocachers website.

www.mngeo.com/gem

As for the state park issue, I don't think they will put many resources into finding the current caches due to there recent budget cuts. Consider them grandfathered in. We have not received any indication that they want to work with us as a group concerned about responsible geocaching in Minnesota. Until they indicate that they would like to work with us, I don't plan on helping them communicate their new policy with the current cachers in their parks. 99% of the current cachers will not see this new policy anytime soon.

If they had indicated that they wanted to work with us, we as a group could contact every cacher and have them work with their park manager on the issues each park has to improve their cache. Hopefully we can change the way they view us soon.

I have to rebut the statement about my cache. It is NOT buried, although I guess that depends on how you define 'buried'. I placed that cache in a low area, then covered it with grass/weeds/twigs. I did NOT dig, widen, enhance the hiding spot. I never thought of it as being buried.

I certainly appreciate Ramsey County's policy. I will correct the problem with the Grass Lake cache ASAP, and never intended any problems or confusion with this cache.

I currently have three others that have apparently been plundered, and wish to check those out. The situation at Grass Lake will be corrected.