Why doesn't the Geocaching (Free) App show all caches?

I'm not a premium member, and noticed in a park near my home, that the geocache app (free) did not show all the caches that the geocahe map on the website had. Has this happened to other cachers? I like to be spontaneous and be able to just pull out your phone and find what caches are around you. Thanks!

Mostly when anything says it's "Free" it is only a tease to get you to buy or pay for more. If you want to see all the caches you have to pay to see them. If you become a member online and pay for the app you can see more of the basic caches. Except finals to puzzles, multis and Wherigos.

Because it is what I would call a "lead-in" (lead-on, to some).

It's supposed to provide somebody a taste of geocaching. Then hopefully, they would invest in the full (paid) app and perhaps even Premium Membership.

Considering that a likely candidate would be a raw beginner and not know much about geocaching -- there is a lot to know -- the Intro-app picks the "beginner" rated caches only, even though at the time used, a person could be standing 10 ft. away from a slightly higher difficulty placement. The Intro-app will not select a higher difficulty cache, to show.

There are special forum sections where helpful geocachers answer questions about the Intro Apps. I'm moving this question from the Geocaching Topics forum to the iPhone Intro App forum. If the OP is using the Android Intro App, we'll be happy to shuffle the thread again so it finds its proper home.

I read several of your logs and it sounds like you're really enjoying geocaching! Keep having fun.

Just to clarify...

I purchased the free iphone Geocaching app (Intro) and then decided to get the $29.99 membership.

I figured this would then upgrade my subscription and allow me to see everything as a Premium member. I still get the message that says "Only geocaches near you are available at this time." Does that mean I also have to purchase the $9.99 apple app too?

Thanks.

Just to clarify...

I purchased the free iphone Geocaching app (Intro) and then decided to get the $29.99 membership.

I figured this would then upgrade my subscription and allow me to see everything as a Premium member. I still get the message that says "Only geocaches near you are available at this time." Does that mean I also have to purchase the $9.99 apple app too?

Thanks.

The $9.99 iPhone app allows you to utilize your iPhone as a GPS device, whilst using a data connection for maps, etc. If you have a dedicated GPSr, you don't need to purchase the app at all if you don't want to. This is a one time purchase.

The $29.99 Premium membership has multiple other benefits that have little to do with the iPhone app - see this [LINK] for the benefits of being a premium member. The fee also only covers one year, and needs to be paid yearly to maintain the premium features.

Personally, We use all 3 - iPhones, a dedicated GPSr, as well as a premium membership.