Garmin Map 62S

When I use the compass to navigate to manually created waypoints the compass points the way, but the name of the nearest geocache still shows on the top of the screen. Also, the distance to that cache is displayed, not the distance to the manually entered waypoint.

Is something wrong with my setup or is this a bug?

If you're navigating to a geocache, the geocaching dashboard will point to that geocache. When you're not navigating or you're navigating to something that isn't a geocache, it will point to the nearest geocache. The device has no way of knowing that a manually entered waypoint should be associated with a certain geocache. There is one exception to this: the "enter next stage" feature which will let you enter a waypoint and have it treat it as associated with that geocache. The dashboard will then say "Next Stage" on it and point to the coordinates you entered.

If you're navigating to a geocache, the geocaching dashboard will point to that geocache. When you're not navigating or you're navigating to something that isn't a geocache, it will point to the nearest geocache. The device has no way of knowing that a manually entered waypoint should be associated with a certain geocache. There is one exception to this: the "enter next stage" feature which will let you enter a waypoint and have it treat it as associated with that geocache. The dashboard will then say "Next Stage" on it and point to the coordinates you entered.

That doesn't make any sense. Is that supposed to be by design? With all of my other units when I was navigating to a manyally entered waypoint the unit didn't care about nearby geocaches.

Thats just the way its designed. When navigating to a waypoint I change my dashboard from geocaching detail to " two small " I think ( don't have my unit )....then the compass will point to your waypoint......bottom line, if you're using the geocaching or geocaching dashboard it will always point to the nearest cache ( not your waypoint )

Thanks, I'll try one of the other dashboards. I just assumed that because I was geoaching the geocaching dashboard is the correct one to use. There were times I grabbed the cache coords off of my smart phone and keyed them into the GPS because I prefer using it, but had to ditch the GPS and use the phone because of this.

I stopped using the geocaching dashboard on my 62s for the reasons discussed above. It was much too annoying. I usually just keep it on the recreational profile, using the map and small data fields (pointer, distance, heading, speed) to get me where I need to go.

I like the "geocaching detail " dashboard.....all relevant caching info. is displayed plus with the later firmware you can log a find direct from the compass screen, one button push and its in the bag.

This situation usually comes up when doing puzzle caches....you solve it and enter a " waypoint " not a cache. I rarely do puzzles but when we do toggling the dashboard is easy.

Noted the same problem as Briansnat with my 62S and 64S models. In addition to always trying to take you to the nearest geocache while navigating to a waypoint, the screen is resistant to paging to the map page. I like the new GPS features with the 62S and 64S models, but the GPS still has to do the basic operations well. Hopefully, Garmin will find a way to address these concerns. Peoria Bill :>)