userscripts.org is overloaded

Trying to install some greasemonkey scripts and I'm getting:

This website is under heavy load

We're sorry, too many people are accessing this website at the same time. We're working on this problem. Please try again later.

Anyone have any more info? Is it always like this, or am I just unlucky?

Wondering how long to wait before trying again for fear of further increasing the load... :(

Edited by milvus-milvus

Trying to install some greasemonkey scripts and I'm getting:

This website is under heavy load

We're sorry, too many people are accessing this website at the same time. We're working on this problem. Please try again later.

Anyone have any more info? Is it always like this, or am I just unlucky?

Wondering how long to wait before trying again for fear of further increasing the load... :(

I've not seen that message before, but I'm also seeing it now. Unfortunately, userscripts.org has been poorly maintained for some years, and suffers hugely from spam and junk scripts. In the past it's been targeted by denial-of-service attacks (sometimes self-inflicted by badly written scripts!), and had lots of performance issues. The install counts haven't worked for ages either.

Because of these problems, some of the script authors (not me!) are getting together to set up an alternative Userscripts site: OpenUserJS.org. The new site is very much in its infancy, but I uploaded my GME script to it today, and if it continues to develop well, I will slowly migrate my other scripts there as I get the time and inclination. Hopefully this will improve the general accessibility of userscripts, and provide a better quality service.

I'm afraid it doesn't solve your immediate problem though! Maybe try Googling for the script author's website?

The new site is very much in its infancy, but I uploaded my GME script to it today, and if it continues to develop well, I will slowly migrate my other scripts there as I get the time and inclination. Hopefully this will improve the general accessibility of userscripts, and provide a better quality service.

I'm afraid it doesn't solve your immediate problem though!

Well, maybe it does! GME was exactly what I was trying to install (on my work PC - I've used it for a long time a home). Thanks for your help, and indeed for your script, and I'll give the other site a try tomorrow...

Cheers,

Baz.

The new site is very much in its infancy, but I uploaded my GME script to it today, and if it continues to develop well, I will slowly migrate my other scripts there as I get the time and inclination. Hopefully this will improve the general accessibility of userscripts, and provide a better quality service.

I'm afraid it doesn't solve your immediate problem though!

Well, maybe it does! GME was exactly what I was trying to install (on my work PC - I've used it for a long time a home). Thanks for your help, and indeed for your script, and I'll give the other site a try tomorrow...

My scripts will be at https://openuserjs.org/users/JRI

So far I've not put up any documentation there though, and the site itself hasn't got much in the way of instructions yet either. Let me know if it works for you!