would this cache be fun, evil or mean?

atmchic

I have been reading the post on here and it sounds the biggest complaint its going to be "dirty" water I didn't want to go into too much detail but hopefully I can put a little bit of detail into it. the first cache I had in this location was made out of a steel toolbox I had paddle locked up with just a hole in the end it had a piece of steel that slid out with instructions to take it to the spring "its clean people use it for drinking" hold the box on end and let the spring water fill it inside the box was bucket that held the water until it had enough weight to overcome a magnet holding a drawer shut and then the drawer would open to find a peanut butter jar with the log book. and then you had to turn it over to drain the water out and slid the drawer back in. all the steel working finally rusted after 2 years. people enjoyed it and I got emails saying they were sad it was gone now. so I was thinking on building another one but make it out of PCV but use a float to open a door instead of a drawer and instead of having to turn it over to drain the water out before closing the door I would put a drain that would be actuated when the door was open and no matter where I put drain holes somebody could get wet. when its put back in the hiding place in a small cave the cache is stored on its side any remaining water is drained out and is dry shortly after its back in its hiding place. so its fresh clean water every time and depends how close you are the water will probably hit you around the knee area

It sounds like your past cache was really cool. It also seems that that you are a bright guy with enough mechanical know how where you could devise a cache that is not really a practical joke. You need to keep in mind that a practical joke is seldom funny to the one that the joke was played on. Think seriously, would it be funny if your cache squirted someone's iPhone and destroyed it?

Edited by Don_J

Sounds like this would be a fun cache, if you can get the logistics worked out and make the cache reliable. Hitting me at the knee or lower with water (please don't drench me) would be surprising and really get me hopping around. It would definitely be a memorable cache.

Because of the 98% of same ole same ole hides placed, it's gotten to where i don't go caching very often these days. This one however, would be one that i would love to get out and find.

It is absolutely unacceptable to make something like that withuot making it absolute clear about what will happen. I would personally even go further and argue, that even writing is not enought, it must be done so that it would be obvious where the water will go for anyone not knowing your local language (a foreign cacher).

It would really suck if you have a really cold day (temperatures about 0), you get wet and must stay in that wet clothes for a few hours! How many cachers have always things to change with that? Just think of someone that has to wait 2 hours for a train home. And you'll spoil the whole day for him if he starts with your cache and then have to return home immediately.

when then the door is opened all the way it releases the water and squirts the person holding the container. would this be something fun or would you get mad because you got wet?

I found a watery cache recently. It wasn't spraying on me directly, but I got plenty wet anyway, and was kneeling in mud by the time I had container in hand. It was a tall PVC tube with holes at the bottom, required well over a gallon of water, had no particular container to use (although I found a 5-gallon paint bucket a mile away while caching on the trail). It was near a very small stream with steep mud banks. The tube was leaking the whole time. It was tricky to pour from a bucket into the tube, while plugging water holes with my fingers. If the bucket slipped, I could have ended up doused head to toe with water. And this was an ordinary kind of water cache. Whatever issues accrue from aiming water at cachers, may already exist in a non-aimed water cache.

An extra stream of water aimed at the cacher wouldn't be any worse (or better as the case may be) than a typical water pipe cache. As mentioned, it's at least memorable. And yours is more than just holes in a tube.

Edited by kunarion