would this cache be fun, evil or mean?

atmchic

I like containers that the cache inside like one that looks like a bird house and such. so I have a idea to build a container that has to filled with water to unlock the cache door and when then the door is opened all the way it releases the water and squirts the person holding the container. would this be something fun or would you get mad because you got wet?

I probably wouldn't be humored, and I imagine that if you as the CO have to return after each finder to reload the cache you might not be humored after a few finders, and if you expect finders to refill it keep in mind it may not get refilled or refilled with something other than plain water...

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

OMG, I love that idea, I currently have a cache where the logsheet is in a separate container underneath some slimey Goo.

I was unsure how people would react, but it seemed to go down pretty well (Goo has lasted about 5 months too which was a lot longer than I thought it would, gotta head out pretty soon to replace now, it's started to turn liquidy).

Also I've seen caches where the finder is required to bring a bottle (to fill from river) or a bottle of water in order to retrieve a cache, so I would assume similar principle in the OP's case.

Finder would top it up to get cache container to float to the top, only difference being, I assume there would be a small hole that the water would squirt from aimed towards the finder.

A cache like this would defo be worth of a +fav point from me, sure it may annoy some people, but just add "may get wet" or something, and they can not look for it if they're bothered about a little water.

No cache will please everybody.

Edited by u1bd2005

Honestly if you do that to me, and anything gets ruined, don't expect the cache to be there after I leave. People don't walk around in a rainsuit 24/7 and they have expensive things on them. Cell phones, GPS's(Though though they are usually waterproof) even clothing. Plus-who's going to refill it? What will they refill it with? What will happen when it freezes outside? Water expands as it freezes-it's strong enough to mess up concrete and even boulders, so your PVC, or whatever won't stand a chance.

I had one built like this that you had to fill with water to unlock it (there is a natural spring where the water comes out of a pipe nearby) it lasted 2 years in iowa winters before rust took it over. I have an idea for a different design made out of pvc that after its opened it drains the water back out and resets itself and I was wondering if the "drain holes" pointing back to the finder would be funny evil or mean

I probably wouldn't be humored, and I imagine that if you as the CO have to return after each finder to reload the cache you might not be humored after a few finders, and if you expect finders to refill it keep in mind it may not get refilled or refilled with something other than plain water...

And then post a Needs Maintenance log.

There might be a few that might find getting squirted by a cache. Probably about the same number that would be really pissed off if they found it on their lunch break just before an important meeting.

Yeah, cute idea, but it would definitely be mean. But perhaps you can do it in a way that makes it clear what's going to happen and dare them to go out of their way to get doused, or challenge them to stay out of the way to avoid getting doused. It might not be possible, but the idea would be that everyone, even T.D.M.22, will come away pleased with the cache every time. For something like this, you'd need to eliminate the element of surprise. If the idea of catching someone by surprise is what's important to you about the idea, then forget it.

Getting soaked isn't necessarily bad, but as a CO, seekers are trusting you, so you must give them the choice of whether to get soaked or not.

Dunno, have done big water caches where its filled with holes and unless you have lots of fingers (or in my case, duct tape), you will get water squirting in every direction. Then again, its different if you are adding water yourself, you have now been the person to introduce water so you get what you get.

If you give the adequate warning, I like the idea.

Honestly if you do that to me, and anything gets ruined, don't expect the cache to be there after I leave. People don't walk around in a rainsuit 24/7 and they have expensive things on them. Cell phones, GPS's(Though though they are usually waterproof) even clothing. Plus-who's going to refill it? What will they refill it with? What will happen when it freezes outside? Water expands as it freezes-it's strong enough to mess up concrete and even boulders, so your PVC, or whatever won't stand a chance.

I agree. If you did that to me the next few logs would be DNF.

Taking it would be just as childish, and theft as well. <_<

I believe the OP already knows that although it may be fun for the cache owner, its rather evil and mean for any finders, as well as a very bad idea.

However, it reminds me of my idea for an automobile rear bumper mounted squirt gun designed specifically to deter tailgaters, and made to accept any type of liquids.. :D

Meh... The idea reminds me of the "snake in a can" caches that I've found. I wasn't bothered by them in any way, but I wasn't exactly entertained by them either. So... meh...
Snake in a can didn't get you and your electronic devices wet.
True. But if I had just filled the cache with water to unlock it, then I probably wouldn't have my electronic devices out where they could get wet. And I don't usually melt when I myself get wet.

But back to the original question, it doesn't really sound fun, but I probably wouldn't get mad either. So... meh...

Edited by niraD

While many would hate it for being a surprise...I'm sure there would be those who would seek it out on a hot summer day if they knew what it was supposed to be and the water was clean. If you ever planned to spray the finder, I would advise you tell them up front in the description.

Now, if the water sits in there for days or weeks...not so much. Then you get funky water and mosquito larvae all over someone and you'll need to watch your back...

I response to my previous reply, I feel as long as you warn people that they may get wet, then it's no different to a cache that "may require wading" etc...

You're given the info prior, so it's upto you if you want to risk getting wet by attempting it, I reacon it would get quite a few fav points.

now its not like you are going to get soaked with 5 gallon of water its only going to take about 1/2 gallon of water to unlock it and a couple of 1/4 holes to drain it I'm not even sure how far it will shoot out

Again...consider the fact that this will be outside and there will be no guarantee it will be free of standing water and other dirt and debris. Think about that before you start spraying (or drizzling) folks with Legionnaires' Disease or thousands of mosquito larvae.

In addition to everything that's been said - bear in mind that mechanisms get damaged. Sometimes just sitting somewhere for a length of time might cause that damage, sometimes it happens when people are trying to get into the container.

A spray mechanism strikes me as something that may damage fairly quickly to be honest. Either through people deliberately trying to circumvent the spray (which will become obvious from logs fairly quickly) or as a result of natural action. And those holes might very well get blocked far too quickly. Or covered with duck tape.

Wow, just put it at head height and call it 'Try not to get wet'. Point multiple escape holes where the water is going to hit the person as it drains.

The clever can just get out their duct tape. The rest try to avoid getting wet while fumbling to cover the holes. You see the holes before you put the water in so surely you should expect what is going to happen if you pour water in the top.

now its not like you are going to get soaked with 5 gallon of water its only going to take about 1/2 gallon of water to unlock it and a couple of 1/4 holes to drain it I'm not even sure how far it will shoot out

Again...consider the fact that this will be outside and there will be no guarantee it will be free of standing water and other dirt and debris. Think about that before you start spraying (or drizzling) folks with Legionnaires' Disease or thousands of mosquito larvae.

So caches with the "May require wading" attribute should all be removed too then? river water's far dirtier than this would be.

It's upto people to evaluate the risks, and decide if they're willing to risk getting wet, moaning about legionnaires etc... is just way to over the top, any cache could cause you to get ill or die. a cache near thorns could cut you, and the cut may become sceptic and you could die, a cache near falling rocks could could crush your car and leave you stranded 200 miles from civilisation with no food and water, and even no phone as you accidentally left it on the dashboard of your car and you may starve to death.

even a lamppost cache could put you in the path of an oncoming bus which is being driven by a drunk bus driver and he could crush you up against it, or a bird may do its business on your head, you may not notice until it's too late and you could catch a new strain of bird flu.

moaning about a little bit of water while caching seriously? lighten up, and don't look for it if you're bothered about getting a little wet.

moaning about a little bit of water while caching seriously? lighten up, and don't look for it if you're bothered about getting a little wet.

While the cleanliness of the water being squirted on finders is one factor, I see the following two as being the biggest reasons why this is a bad idea:

1. Finders being unexpectedly squirted with water. If it's raining, the finder has a chance to prepare ahead of time. I would never be prepared for a cache to unexpectedly squirt me with water. The example given of someone on their lunch break before a business meeting is one of countless scenarios where someone would not want to be squirted with water.

2. The effect of the water on electronics. This entire game revolves around using electronic devices. There are many people who have their device hanging on a lanyard around their neck, right where it will be exposed to the squirting water. As above, if it's raining, I can prepare appropriately to keep my devices dry. I wouldn't be similarly prepared in the case of this idea.

You can put me in the "bad idea" column.

My question is would a cache like this be approved, does it meet guidelines? :o

Interesting idea. What are you thinking of? I can't think of anything in the guidelines about being annoying. And, consequently, I can see a CO, acting in good faith, not mentioning this detail to the reviewer. Am I forgetting something? (Not that I'd mind the guidelines being against it, although it's hard to imagine a guideline preventing this without being too broad.)

there was a CO that own a large piece of property and he got two caches on it. Well... some cachers were taking short cuts across the property to the next cache. So he setup a motion sensor(s) to turn on the sprinkler(s). Yea... some got wet! :laughing:

Edited by SwineFlew

So caches with the "May require wading" attribute should all be removed too then? river water's far dirtier than this would be.

It's upto people to evaluate the risks, and decide if they're willing to risk getting wet, moaning about legionnaires etc... is just way to over the top, any cache could cause you to get ill or die. a cache near thorns could cut you, and the cut may become sceptic and you could die, a cache near falling rocks could could crush your car and leave you stranded 200 miles from civilisation with no food and water, and even no phone as you accidentally left it on the dashboard of your car and you may starve to death.

even a lamppost cache could put you in the path of an oncoming bus which is being driven by a drunk bus driver and he could crush you up against it, or a bird may do its business on your head, you may not notice until it's too late and you could catch a new strain of bird flu.

Big difference between wading through a couple inches of water and being prepared for getting your shoes wet and being unexpectedly sprayed with funky water in the face or all over your clothes.

I think I was one of the few that thought it was fine to put out this cache...just as long as it wasn't a surprise to folks. If someone know what they are getting with a find, well that's up to them. So really...don't tell me to "lighten up" just because I'm trying to prevent him from ticking off a lot of folks unnecessarily.

Where are people getting this "funky water" stuff from? You bring your own water to this sort of cache. There are lots of these in the game. The difference here is the CO wants to have the reset mechanism spray the finder instead of just dumping water on t he ground.

ETA: Mean. Not a good idea, even if warnings are given.

Edited by Mike in FN20hc

Where are people getting this "funky water" stuff from? You bring your own water to this sort of cache. There are lots of these in the game. The difference here is the CO wants to have the reset mechanism spray the finder instead of just dumping water on t he ground.

There been people that pee in other people caches and its possible that someone might do that with this cache idea. No, I dont want golden shower. No thank you!

Come up with a nice walk to the cache in beautiful environment (Location! Location!). Find a lovely place with a small creek, some bit away from the trail.

Apply a container at the side of the creek, height at average head level or better slightly over head level, more or less reachable only when standing in the creek.

The cacher has to fill water in the box, this activates a swimmer mechanism which will unlock the door. To get to the caches protected logbook, the finder has to open the door. This releases all the previously filled water through the door in the direction of the finder. The swimmer mechanism then resets itself without water, the door could have a reset mechanism as well (spring to draw it back in closed position when released or sth like that).

Thus the cacher is at least a bit aware of getting wet when he has to enter the creek (-> no business suit, hopefully packed sensible electronics away, ...). He/she is more or less forced to stand directly in front of the box's door to reach and open it. The water will best be freshly used from the creek ("Bring an empty bottle"). It's activated by the cacher's action and resets itself afterwards, no need to rely on the cacher to reset it. Water does not stay inside for long time enough to provide a hazard for the cacher (infections?) or the cache (freezing?).

Name the cache appropriately and provide a clear warning "You may get wet!". So the cacher is warned, has a good chance to think on-site before he operates with water directly over himself and may be prepared either by clothing, quick reaction or by another creative idea to open the container without getting wet.

Evil, yes, but I think, this concept gets a lot of interesting logs and I guess, most would be positive. I now seriously consider this for a cache idea of my own. Engineering is fun! :)

Edited by Ben0w

There been people that pee in other people caches and its possible that someone might do that with this cache idea. No, I dont want golden shower. No thank you!

As I said, I do not like the idea of soaking a finder, even if they are warned.

I suppose a malicious jerk could leave the reservoir mostly full of nasty stuff after they get the log, especially if they got soaked finding it. That's another reason why "add water" caches are usually designed to self-drain fairly quickly. The ones I've read about usually take more than a liter (often several) to access the log.

With enough planning, most risks could be dealt with (make the reservoir transparent & visible, for example), but why bother to put so much energy into such a mean hide idea to start with. Geocaching is supposed to be fun, not a game of anonymous "gotcha".

If the cache 'squirted or even leaked' on me as described, after my Found It log, would be a NM log mentioning that I removed the shards of geolitter that appeared at GZ. My clothing, glasses, and phone are not there for you to soak. My GPS claims that it can take a splash, but I'd rather it not, all the same.

If the cache 'squirted or even leaked' on me as described, after my Found It log, would be a NM log mentioning that I removed the shards of geolitter that appeared at GZ. My clothing, glasses, and phone are not there for you to soak. My GPS claims that it can take a splash, but I'd rather it not, all the same.

Yeah. That would basically be my response. "Sorry. It attacked me. I hit back in self-defense!" That's just nasty and vicious. Doesn't even qualify as 'evil'. Deliberately malicious. Reminds me of one of the 'snake in the box' caches I found. Almost gave me a heart attack. Tossed the danged thing as far as I could. That CO thought being malicious was funny. He's on my Ignore list. I don't ever want to do a cache by someone who thinks that scaring people is funny!

Yeah. That would basically be my response. "Sorry. It attacked me. I hit back in self-defense!" That's just nasty and vicious. Doesn't even qualify as 'evil'. Deliberately malicious. Reminds me of one of the 'snake in the box' caches I found. Almost gave me a heart attack. Tossed the danged thing as far as I could. That CO thought being malicious was funny. He's on my Ignore list. I don't ever want to do a cache by someone who thinks that scaring people is funny!

Remind me of a cache in Vegas... :lol:

I was very careful and just about jumped! <_<

It was under an ammo can! :blink:

While many would hate it for being a surprise...I'm sure there would be those who would seek it out on a hot summer day if they knew what it was supposed to be and the water was clean. If you ever planned to spray the finder, I would advise you tell them up front in the description.

Now, if the water sits in there for days or weeks...not so much. Then you get funky water and mosquito larvae all over someone and you'll need to watch your back...

I get the impression that you are using your own water. If it's cold, why would I want to get wet? If it's hot, why would I want to use up my precious water? 102F in my area today.

I like containers that the cache inside like one that looks like a bird house and such. so I have a idea to build a container that has to filled with water to unlock the cache door and when then the door is opened all the way it releases the water and squirts the person holding the container. would this be something fun or would you get mad because you got wet?

I had one built like this that you had to fill with water to unlock it (there is a natural spring where the water comes out of a pipe nearby) it lasted 2 years in iowa winters before rust took it over. I have an idea for a different design made out of pvc that after its opened it drains the water back out and resets itself and I was wondering if the "drain holes" pointing back to the finder would be funny evil or mean

Don't folks read the post's. There is no "dirty" water or Mosquito infested water. You pour the water YOURSELF! It is fresh water you have with you that he is talking about here. As long as there is a warning on the cache page i think it's a great idea.

Where did he say that?

The only mention of what kind, was spring water from another hide that's now rusty.

We did a "float to the top" pipe cache once where an online log said he didn't have enough water with him, so "he added some", thinking it funny.

In this instance, wearing someone's pee doesn't seem funny to me.

- Maybe a little staining cherry kool aid for the next person would be hilarious...

Don't folks read the post's. There is no "dirty" water or Mosquito infested water. You pour the water YOURSELF! It is fresh water you have with you that he is talking about here.

Sure, the water you're pouring in may be clean, but what about what's left inside the container? Did it immediately dry out after the last cacher, or was there some standing water left in it? If there was, mosquitoes may have laid their eggs there. Also, is there any way for nature to get inside in between cacher visits? Can plant debris fall in the top? Can bugs get in? Can rain get in, potentially filling it with stagnant water (leading to the mosquitoes above)? There's also the bodily function issue that has been brought up a few times.

For traditional water-required caches, any of the above isn't as big of a deal because it all ends up on the ground. However, if it's intentionally getting on people, these are all issues that would need to be addressed.

Sorry, I doubt there's anyone who could come up with a convincing argument where I'd be okay with this idea. As mentioned, geocaching is supposed to be fun. Malicious intent has no place in geocaching.

I have been reading the post on here and it sounds the biggest complaint its going to be "dirty" water I didn't want to go into too much detail but hopefully I can put a little bit of detail into it. the first cache I had in this location was made out of a steel toolbox I had paddle locked up with just a hole in the end it had a piece of steel that slid out with instructions to take it to the spring "its clean people use it for drinking" hold the box on end and let the spring water fill it inside the box was bucket that held the water until it had enough weight to overcome a magnet holding a drawer shut and then the drawer would open to find a peanut butter jar with the log book. and then you had to turn it over to drain the water out and slid the drawer back in. all the steel working finally rusted after 2 years. people enjoyed it and I got emails saying they were sad it was gone now. so I was thinking on building another one but make it out of PCV but use a float to open a door instead of a drawer and instead of having to turn it over to drain the water out before closing the door I would put a drain that would be actuated when the door was open and no matter where I put drain holes somebody could get wet. when its put back in the hiding place in a small cave the cache is stored on its side any remaining water is drained out and is dry shortly after its back in its hiding place. so its fresh clean water every time and depends how close you are the water will probably hit you around the knee area