DISHONEST COIN DEALER

The Huskies

Can somebody help me with an DISHONEST COIN DEALER.

I had my 1st coin made by SoCalGeocoins Matt Schapiro in 2005/6 without a problem. I received some of the coins and he sold the rest. On 15 Dec 2007 he wrote me an mail to state that I have a credit with him for $1200.00.

After numerous attempts to get the money out of him I decided to make another coin with the remaining money in his posession. The process started in Jan 2008 and the 2nd coin was done on Oct 2009. Cost was $1325 less the credit. After the sales we agreed on a $1000.00 refund.

I have heen trying to get the money out of Matt but with no success.

Today I received this message:

"I havent stolen any money from you I made your coins and sold some, Most of them you received the rest were stolen from Jim Collins. If you want to contact him to get your money. He stole $10000 in inventory that he was supposed to sell off. Since then he will not contact me. I have been honest with you this whole time. Since I have had to take a loss on the coins and have nothing to show for it. I therefor have to pass the loss onto you. Sorry."

Now I see on his facebook that he is working for Geocaching in Seattle.

I live in South Africa 12000 miles from Matt Schapiro who resides in Golden Valley, Arizona. This is not an excuse for him not to pay me the money his owes me.

Please advise me on what can I do to received the funds?

The problem is that he knows that legal council from South Africa to USA will cost more than $1000.

Publically calling them out on the forums is not the way to get something done about it.

I'm a little interested in why you've waited almost 5 years to do something about it.

You might try contacting Groundspeak to let them know you have a bad experience with a vendor, but I doubt they can do much as coin minters are not employees.

I know Matt and have met him personally. Never dealt with him on any coin transactions. I'm pretty confidant in saying he don't work for Groundspeak. Some people just like Geocaching as their job since that is all they seem to do.

I'm a little confused on the math you posted since the numbers don't add up. But that aside, I can't really help with the situation. I do think it is wrong for him to try and pass on his loss to you. That should only happen if a company files for legal bankruptcy or goes out of business.