Is there any way to list all the caches in a county?

RogFel

We like to find a cache or 2 in every county of a state. So far we have 15 states completed. I am in the process of mapping a trip through Kentucky to visit 103 of it's 120 counties. This becomes a long tedious process of using 2 sets of maps. I use GC.com (which doesn't show county boundaries)to locate caches in the area, then I switch to Streets and Trips to find where the county lines are.

It would be so much easier to download the whole state of Kentucky, use a GSAK macro to add the county name to each cache. But with the 500 cache limit for PQ's it just doesn't work. GC's search feature only allows a search by country or state.

Any good ideas out there?

GSAK really is the answer. I used it when finding caches in every county of Ohio (88 counties) and Pennsylvania (67 counties). Load a county, find caches til I'm ready to move on, re-filter GSAK for the next county, load those waypoints, etc.

There are just over 15,000 caches in Kentucky. You can have a database covering the whole state built in just three days. (5 PQ's per day x 1,000 caches per query -- not 500.) Then you can build Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and other neighboring states. To keep the databases up to date, use GSAK's API connection to Geocaching.com. You can update the logs and other data for up to 6,000 caches per day.

In this manner, I maintain offline databases covering from Indianapolis to Long Island, from Niagara Falls to Wilmington, NC. Anything within a day's drive is fair game.

I have 5 queries set up that cover my home state (not KY) I request it using "date placed" to avoid duplicates. Start with the oldest cache, then set a date several years in the future, and preview to see how many you get. If it says 1000, you have too many. Move the end date earleier and re-preview. If it returns close to 1000, ( 980 or so) let it be and preview a new queiry with the start date one day after the end date of the previous. COntinue until you get to 12/31/2014.

Project-GC.

After you link your account you then go: Maps > Map Compare

Only use your own user name and click both none found and one found.

Choose the United States from the country drop down, choose the state and then choose the country from the final drop down. Then click Filter.

The map is, well, a map. But the data underneath can be copied and pasted (it's tricky if there's a lot of it, but doable) into a spreadsheet.

This will allow you, iirc, 10,000 caches per list.

Thanks Blue Square Thing!! Just having the map with the caches that are in a specific county is just what I was looking for! I think this will cut my mapping time in half!

Thanks for directing me to project-gc. Never heard of it before. Very interesting.

Project-GC.

After you link your account you then go: Maps > Map Compare

Only use your own user name and click both none found and one found.

Choose the United States from the country drop down, choose the state and then choose the country from the final drop down. Then click Filter.

The map is, well, a map. But the data underneath can be copied and pasted (it's tricky if there's a lot of it, but doable) into a spreadsheet.

This will allow you, iirc, 10,000 caches per list.