What to tell people about what you are doing.

JohnX

I know this topic has been raised before but for the second time I met a metal detectorist (proper description?). We chatted for a few moments and he mentioned that depending on his mood if someone asks what he is doing, he will say "A radioactive meteorite fell in this area two days ago. I'm trying to find it before someone gets sick." He said it usually ends the conversation and clears the area.

What do you say when questioned by a non-cacher?

I know this topic has been raised before but for the second time I met a metal detectorist (proper description?). We chatted for a few moments and he mentioned that depending on his mood if someone asks what he is doing, he will say "A radioactive meteorite fell in this area two days ago. I'm trying to find it before someone gets sick." He said it usually ends the conversation and clears the area.

It depends on the situation and who the non-cacher is.

If the non-cacher is a police officer I tell them I'm geocaching. If it's someone who acts like they have the right to demand information from me, I usually tell them I'm minding my own business. I don't tend to tell people about geocaching because I figure there's little point giving any local NIMBYs an excuse to get upset.

If the non-cacher is a police officer I tell them I'm geocaching. If it's someone who acts like they have the right to demand information from me, I usually tell them I'm minding my own business.

Hahaha right on ! I should say that next time :D

I usually tell people that I was in the area before and lost my earrings so now I am looking for them. Or I pretend to tie my shoe.

I will explain what geocaching is, unless I'm getting a vibe that the person will turn around and steal the cache or mess it up somehow. Obviously I try to make sure muggles don't see the hiding spot regardless. In those cases, I am looking for a particular flower/mushroom/animal in order to take photos or for a science class. If they pester, I can start babbling about population densities and throw in a bunch of scientific jargon until their eyes glaze over and I can run away.

Edited by ByronForestPreserve

If someone asks you what you're doing, you should tell them you're geocaching. If they don't know what that is, explain. There's almost never an upside to lying or even obfuscating. Who ever they are, and why ever they're curious, they notice that kind of thing, so the goal should be to let this person that notices that kind of thing in on the game. Anything else just makes it more likely that they'll cause trouble later, not less.

I always think about the worst case: let's say after explaining geocaching to this neighbor, they still really doesn't want the cache there. It's easy to think you don't want that person to know what you're doing, but I see it the other way: the sooner we find out that person doesn't want the cache there even knowing it's just a game, the sooner the cache can be archived or moved where it won't annoy someone.

I always tell someone what I'm doing. Especially if it's a land owner, or a LEO. Although I've never been questioned by an officer, I have with a couple land owners. One was quite funny, he actually forgot he gave permission for the cache to be where it was under the junk car next to his barn. (The CO did in fact have permission, and stated so on the cache page) It wasn't until I explained what I was looking for, he suddenly and miraculously was cured of his CRS, everything was cool and we all laughed about it. But if I had lied to him, he probably would have sent me packing down the road with a shotgun aimed at my rear.

:blink:

Usually I'll tell them what I'm doing if they ask nicely. If not, then its "No speaka inglay". If they continue with "Tu habla espanol?" Then I'll say, "No, I don't speak Spanish either."

opps It was this post I was meaning - lol I dont know if I could do that without laughing

If it's law enforcement I always tell the truth. If it's joe public I generally say that I am looking for something. If they seem more curious I might give them the blahblahblah geocaching talk.

But if I don't want to be bothered I'll say I'm putting in my community service hours. That usually sends them running in the other direction. ;)

Edited by wimseyguy

It depends on the situation and who the non-cacher is.

If the non-cacher is a police officer I tell them I'm geocaching. If it's someone who acts like they have the right to demand information from me, I usually tell them I'm minding my own business. I don't tend to tell people about geocaching because I figure there's little point giving any local NIMBYs an excuse to get upset.

This, exactly.

What to say? Try this ... Quite frankly, I have lost my mind. Then add your choice of the following ...

I could be enjoying a nice hike in the woods but, instead, I am looking for a one inch round container in a parking lot.

Or maybe this ...

I could be enjoying a nice bike ride in the woods but, instead, I have spent the past twenty minutes desperately looking for a container filled with junk.

Or maybe this ...

I could be at the beach right now but I made a few stops along the highway hoping I could sign my name on small soaking wet pieces of paper rolled up in film canisters.

Or maybe this ...

It's a hobby called geocaching. Once upon a time it was pretty interesting but not anymore, though it does make for a decent diversion every now and then.

There once was a cache in the squeaky base of a flagpole that was in the middle of a landscaped circle surrounded by benches. For some reason I decided to do it, perhaps because I had taken a long walk from work. I also did not think there would ever be a time when that particular park would be empty. So I got the cache. Someone asked what I was doing, so I told them. He replied that people do not seem as strange when you know what they are doing.

I keep that in mind. If anybody is curious about what I am doing I tell them. I see no reason to ignore them or tell some kind of story.

Sometimes I tell them I'm Geocaching, especially if it's a LEO (which has happened a few times) or the land owner. Sometimes I tell them I'm on a scavenger hunt which more or less truthful and requires less of an explanation. This is usually accepted without further questions, as everyone has heard of scavenger hunts. Sometimes they've offered to help look!

Usually I'll tell them what I'm doing if they ask nicely. If not, then its "No speaka inglay". If they continue with "Tu habla espanol?" Then I'll say, "No, I don't speak Spanish either."

opps It was this post I was meaning - lol I dont know if I could do that without laughing

I've used it a few times when approached by someone attempting to sell something in a mall. Twice it went to the "Tu habla espanol?" stage with me replying like that, and both times they smiled.

If people ask me what I am doing, I make something up right on the spot.

People don't have to know everything that I am doing.

I usually tell them I'm minding my own business.

I like that one.

Just need to find a good Dutch Translation for that one.

I'd be truthful to a cop or anyone whose business my being there would be (land owner, security guard, business owner, etc.). Otherwise I go by the vibe I receive from the person. If he seems hostile or I think the person knowing a geocache is there may endanger it, I'll make something up. I've used excuses such as hunting for mushrooms, doing a study on reptiles and conducting a tree census. When I was a card carrying member (literally) of the National Map Corps, that was a ready excuse for being almost anywhere with a GPS. Now that the NMC is alive again, though in a much different format, I can use that excuse again. Too bad they no longer issue ID cards. Flashing an ID from a Federal agency lent an aura of credibility.

I don't get asked a lot, I have found that acting as though you are supposed to be there makes most people ignore you. Walk straight up to GZ, get cache, replace walk away. No shiftily looking around and acting alarmed about spectators. If I see someone looking a bit puzzled, I just smile and say good morning that is usually enough to satisfy them. If they actually ask (and they don't look like they will steal the cache) I usually start off with 'a treasure hunting game' and only expand if asked.

The one time I was questioned by the police I just explained geocaching straight away.