Can I re-activate an Archived Cache?

rockey_f_squirrell

I had a geocache that got killed when Illinois Governor, Rod Blagojavich, shut down all the state historic sites. It was a 2 stage multi, that led to another park with the geocache. When the park closed down, I ended up pulling the plug on it. Things are back in service for a while now, and the cache has been archived.

If I wanted to get that going again, how do I do it (Is it possible to keep the original GC waypoint code?)

Un-archiving a cache is an extremely tough proposition.

Even then, it usually only occurs with a day or two of archiving.

If your cache was archived during the Blago regime.... move on to something else. Make a new one.

It's not THAT tough...as long as it meets the current guidelines and there are still no proximity issues. Just email your reviewer and explain the situation. He/she will review it as if it were a new cache. The worst that can happen is that your are told "no". If you are, find out what is wrong, make corrections, and make a new one. Of course, as others have suggested, you can just try listing a new one from the start. Your call.

Blago left office back in 2009. The cache has been archived for 5 years? I very seriously doubt that any cache would be unarchived after that long.

Round these parts, I hardly ever see an un-archive after 3 months.

I'd suggest submitting it as a new cache - and you can reference the old one as a "tribute"

Edited by Markwell

I had a geocache that got killed when Illinois Governor, Rod Blagojavich, shut down all the state historic sites. It was a 2 stage multi, that led to another park with the geocache. When the park closed down, I ended up pulling the plug on it. Things are back in service for a while now, and the cache has been archived.

If I wanted to get that going again, how do I do it (Is it possible to keep the original GC waypoint code?)

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=70

3.16. Unarchiving a Geocache

The archiving of a geocache by the owner is supposed to be a permanent status. That is why only the site administrators and volunteers have the capability to unarchive it. This is done only in rare circumstances.

However, if you accidentally archived it, please contact the reviewer who originally published your geocache with the geocache name, GC Code and the explanation for unarchiving it. You'll find a link to the reviewer's profile at the bottom of your geocache page. You may also visit www.geocaching.com/help in cases where you are unable to reach the correct reviewer.

For any geocache to be unarchived, it must first meet the current Geocache Listing Guidelines.

B.