Help! Out of state cacher

katiem

I will be traveling to Chicago in the middle part of June. Now, I've never been to Chicago, and I am quite psyched about the trip. I would like to do some caching while there. The friend I am visiting lives in the Hyde(sp?)Park area. Can anyone point out a few good caches in that area? I am sure I could research this and get an answer, but it seems a lot easier to let the good people of Illinois help me out. [icon_smile.gif]

BTW, how difficult is it to get tickets to a Cubs game? I'd like to go to a game. Does it take an act of Congress or are they fairly available?

Thanks, in advance!

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." ~Mark Twain

It's always fun to do some caches while travelling. I've found that I found that once you move more than 200mi. from home, the caches turn quite different. Containers, caching items, and methods of hiding cashes all seems vary when you get away from your home location.

However, I've always thought that doing the research on my own was part of the fun.

That being said, there are not too many caches the downtown Chicago area. My cache Peek-a-boo! is a virtual cache in the downtown area, but it doesn't take any more than five minutes to find, and you'd need someone you could call with internet access.

The key to finding the best caches in the Chicago area is traveling to the suburbs. Once there, you can find over 100 caches - most of which are of good quality. I currently show about 102 in the immediate Chicago area.

As your trip to Chicago comes closer feel free to e-mail me and I'll be able to give better suggestions as to the which caches I would suggest based on your transportation ability.

================

Non-Geocaching Related:

Cubs tickets and not that hard to get, but only if you're willing to sit in the general admission (bleacher bums). Those are available the day the game, but the line starts early. If you want good seats on the first base or third base side, you should order them well advance.

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

quote:
Seems to me the Chicago geocaches wouldn't be much different from those closer to home. There must be a zillion things in Chicago that would be far better choices for you to spend your time doing. Same thing probably goes for a ball game too.

Perhaps I didn't express myself well in my post. When I visit Chicago, I would like to visit a cache or two...because it is a hobby I enjoy, and I'll be able to enjoy a landscape and environment much different from that of Louisiana. In no way do I intend to spend the better part of my time in the city geocaching. There's far more that I would prefer to experince. I know that Chicago is a fantastic city that offers many cultural sites, activities,and events. I plan to experience all the city has to offer (or as much as I can in 4 days).

As far as the baseball game, your comment actually is untrue in my case. Louisiana has no professional baseball team. The Cubs organization is one of my favorite teams, and so, for me, it may well be a once in a lifetime experience.

Thank you, Markwell, for the information. After I made the post, I did research a bit on my own, and I noticed that there are few downtown caches. I'll check out some of the suburban caches and e-mail you at a later date for your suggestions

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." ~Mark Twain

[This message was edited by katiem on March 24, 2002 at 05:12 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Don&Betty:

Seems to me the Chicago geocaches wouldn't be much different from those closer to home. There must be a zillion things in Chicago that would be far better choices for you to spend your time doing. Same thing probably goes for a ball game too.

I've found that geocaching is a great way to truly discover a new area. It takes you to out of the way places you wouldn't otherwise get to if you went where all the other visitors go. So go ahead and check out those geocaches in Chicago. And if you have time, come on up the road 80 miles and check out the city of Milwaukee too! We have a beautiful new baseball stadium (Miller Park) that is one of the finest in the major leagues, and will host the All Star game this summer. Ticket are pretty easy to get because the Brewers haven't been any good in recent years.

10 years ago, I had an apartment where I could watch a game on TV, hear the crack of the bat, look out my window and see the ball rising up in the air. Cool, neat, fun, how metropolitan! And yet how noisy, drunken and obnoxious! But the good outweighed th e bad. I can assure you you can get scalps (is this PC?) outside the park. I suggest the Addison stop of the Howard (blue line?) "El" station. Always double check the tickets though. Frauds abound!

I also saw somewhere a V-cache that was in the Daley plaz a (Near the Picasso statue) where you could call someone and get a web-cam shot from a security camera. I don't know the name of the cache, but downtowns zip-code is 60601, and the intersection is roughly Washington and Dearborn. Good luck.

Man, this message is making me homesick, and I've lived in Minnesota for 10 years. You never get over the greatest city in the world! icon_wink.gif µ

boo2.jpg