Inactive member logging caches...how?

Upon checking a geocache of mine, I found that a geocacher logged it as a find, but no signature was on the log...alias or otherwise. I was going to attempt to notify this cacher, but upon opening this cachers page it said and I quote: " the "send message" feature is disabled because the user is currently inactive". The status is "inactive member" and their last visit was June 18th of 2013. I Checked another cache close to mine and this cacher signed this log on the same day they supposedly signed mine(4-20-14). So my question is: how is this cacher logging finds on the geocaching page and still showing inactive and not visiting since June 2013 ?

how is this cacher logging finds on the geocaching page and still showing inactive and not visiting since June 2013 ?

I'm not sure of the "showing inactive" part, but cachers who access the site by phone will not show visits. It's quite possible to show no visits for years, but have recent finds.

I've noticed a sharp uptick in "inactive" accounts, to the point where I'm wondering if accounts are being marked "inactive" automatically after some

emails bounce? just speculating here. Used to be fairly rare, but i sure see it a lot lately.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
how is this cacher logging finds on the geocaching page and still showing inactive and not visiting since June 2013 ?

I'm not sure of the "showing inactive" part, but cachers who access the site by phone will not show visits. It's quite possible to show no visits for years, but have recent finds.

I've noticed a sharp uptick in "inactive" accounts, to the point where I'm wondering if accounts are being marked "inactive" automatically after some

emails bounce? just speculating here. Used to be fairly rare, but i sure see it a lot lately.

This seems like something Groundspeak should really be interested in fixing. Finding out if someone is active on the site should be easy and accurate, and it seems like the current system does not make this so. Is it a difficult software challenge to have site status tied to someone logging caches as well as visiting the site?

This seems like something Groundspeak should really be interested in fixing. Finding out if someone is active on the site should be easy and accurate, and it seems like the current system does not make this so. Is it a difficult software challenge to have site status tied to someone logging caches as well as visiting the site?

Wonder if it has something to do with the Comcast problem not delivering newsletters etc. They have been working on correcting that by 'correcting' old email addresses that 'bounce' causing the problem.

It's over in the 'Website' forum. Groundspeak Newsletter is the link.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc