Hiding A Cache On A Pole In A Neighborhood?

Hey guys, I'm looking for ideas on a future cache I'd love to place.

My proposed placement location has the absolute perfect theme to go along with treasure hunting. It would be a great find if you're caching in the area. My only problem is that this is in a residential neighborhood so my options are limited.

There is one of those tall, wooden utility poles on the edge of the property next to the street. I think placing a cache on the pole is my best option but I'm kind of at a loss as to how to accomplish it. I don't want to drive up and hammer or screw something to the pole since it's in a neighborhood. There is a hook about 4' off the ground so I could hang something. I'm looking to do just a basic log cache to keep it as inconspicuous as possible. Needless to say, people are always walking by so the cache should look like it kind of belongs on the pole.

I'm open to any ideas and suggestions too! :-)

As others have said, utility pole may be a bad choice for safety and permission reasons. Personally, I avoid high muggle residential neighborhood caches, I'm just not comfortable searching there, buts that's just me. Permission is critical where a cache or cachers may be questioned. Is there any public use area you can get permission for nearby?

In addition to the utility property issue, the OP states that it's a residential neighborhood setting. Permission from the homeowner is also a consideration. If you looked out your front picture window and saw three people poking around the trees and utility poles along the street in front of your house, how would you react?

Before hiding a cache like this, the cache owner should have a clear understanding of the right-of-way practices in the local area. The local government may own land on each side of the street in fee simple, or the land bordering the public street could be owned by the residents, subject to right of way agreements for things like utilities and sidewalks. I've never seen a right-of-way agreement that covered the placement of geocaches.

Regardless of legal ownership, it's just plain courteous to inform the neighboring resident about your cache in front of their house.

So what if I hid a cache a few blocks away at a public place and in that cache I listed coordinates to where I wanted the original cache location to be. I wouldn't put a cache at my original location.

That would allow people to find my cache in a private setting without having to look around the residential neighborhood. It would also lead them to where I ultimately wanted them to visit in the first place which is the ultimate goal of the cache to begin with.

If there's something scenic, historic or interesting at the original location where the utility pole is located, consider making a multicache. Nearly all utility poles have identifying markings placed on them by the utility, usually on a metal plaque. Use the letters and numbers in the identifying code for finder to plug into a formula to determine the coordinates for the location of the final cache container.

For a virtual clue visible from a location where the public is permitted to walk, permission is no longer an issue.

If there's something scenic, historic or interesting at the original location where the utility pole is located, consider making a multicache. Nearly all utility poles have identifying markings placed on them by the utility, usually on a metal plaque. Use the letters and numbers in the identifying code for finder to plug into a formula to determine the coordinates for the location of the final cache container

From the perspective of someone who is not all that good at Geocaching B), I'd prefer that. If a cache container were to be removed from a utility pole for whatever reason, and somecacher comes along afterward, he or she now has to decide if it's this wire or that wire or something nearby, when it isn't any of those.

The only way I'd look for a cache in a residential neighborhood would be if the cache page very clearly stated that the people who live there know about the cache and are okay with it. That, or that it's in the CO's own yard. If that's not one of the first things in the cache description, I keep driving.

I might not have a problem finding info for an offset (multi) cache...I think it would depend on the neighborhood.

Aside from safety and permission- I cache with people one is a lineman, and the other works for the city in another capacity(the city owns the utilities) They both are able to go up to a pole and be able to tell if something is on it that shouldn't be from a far ways away. I'd expect it go go missing right away when one of these people see it.

This game really needs to go back into the forest where it came from originally.

Any nice forests near your place? :)

YOu mean with bugs and stuff? Eww :laughing:

As I said, I'm looking for suggestions and ideas.

A good suggestion is to read the hiding guidelines thoroughly. Then re-read them. From your opening post, it's pretty clear you haven't read them at all. Defacing property by hammering nails or using screws to attach something to it is a guideline violation.

If you're hell-bent on using this utility pole as a hiding spot, then do as others have said and get permission from whoever owns the pole and then alert any surrounding neighbors that there will be people coming along looking for something around the pole. That way, when those people do show up, the neighboreenos won't be dialing the police to report suspicious people on their lawn who took something off the pole and then put it back. Or those neighbors want to see what the heck all those people are doing and when they leave, they find the cache and throw it away.

Think those two things don't happen? Think again. Most of the caches hidden in this manner end up missing very quickly and/or become known as a "trouble cache". And it all starts with the cache owner not taking the proper steps when hiding the cache, like reading the guidelines. Really, this sounds like a pretty ordinary hide...isn't there some small corner of a park that you could place your ordinary hide into that wouldn't come with all the baggage?

• Upvote 1

I hate to be discouraging but yes, you need to see if permission can be gained for placement on the pole. It would also be wise to get with the nearby residents and let them know of your idea. Tell them a little about geocaching and make sure they realize that they might notice people walking around in circles with small electronic devices in their hands. :P

A little off topic here but, it amazes me how so many people jump on the "do you have permission" bandwagon for this type of hide but not so much for LPC hides. :blink:

A little off topic here but, it amazes me how so many people jump on the "do you have permission" bandwagon for this type of hide but not so much for LPC hides. :blink:

I don't think I've ever seen a thread asking how to hide a LPC. But I've seen conversations about LPC's that may go missing or get reported then the issue of permission-or lack of it-comes up.

Well, we don't get many "Should I hide a cache in a this light pole?" threads. Or I don't read the forums enough to notice them, but if those threads do exist, I imagine the permission issue is brought up every time. As it should be.

FWIW, I recently found a multi-cache that explored some of the local history. In addition to the "Question to Answer" waypoints and the final, the CO also provided a waypoint for another in-theme location that he couldn't work into the multi-cache. I don't know how many people are interested enough to actually visit that extra waypoint, but I did.

I found a couple good ones. On the light poles they have these little metal bands on them that are just a couple inches long with writing on them. You can wedge a little teeny one in behind that. That was a neighborhood one I found. Another I found was a light pole in a park. It was another teeny one just crammed into one of the cracks in the pole itself.

Does anyone here think the geocaching development companies are taking it too far here??

Fake Utility Pole Cache

:blink:

Gosh I never realized there were geocaching developement companies. I've always though that it's some geocacher who thinks up some clever camouflage for a cache. When they buy the material to construct the cache it's usually easier to buy enough to make several caches. They hide one and then sell the others on eBay.

Of course it's up to the buyer to decide where to hide the camouflaged container. If they're not sure about putting it next to a utility pole they might find a different spot where the cammo would be just as effective.

My proposed placement location has the absolute perfect theme to go along with treasure hunting. It would be a great find if you're caching in the area. My only problem is that this is in a residential neighborhood so my options are limited.

There is one of those tall, wooden utility poles on the edge of the property next to the street.

It seems this thread has focused on the utility pole, but that's not really what you're trying to highlight. It sounds like you actually want to draw attention to one of the homes or yards. Have you thought about asking said property owner for permission to place an in-theme cache in the yard?

In a town near me is a home where the owner has made it to look like an old-fashioned gas station and soda fountain. A cacher got permission from the owner to put a cache within the property, near the house. But this guy obviously wants to attract visitors. I don't know the details about the place mentioned in the OP, but maybe it's a possibility. You don't know until you ask.

I wouldn't personally put anything on or near a utility pole. Are there any fences or trees? Maybe hang a bison tube from a string and attach the other end of the string to a fence. Or hide a fake rock at the base of a fence.

The other option is to do a multi and have people visit the various locations collecting information, then put the final in a nice wooded area nearby.

If you give us some approximate coordinates, maybe we can take a peak via Google Streetview.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Remember the guideline not to nail, screw, drill or create a place for cache. The hole would have to already be existing. I've seen one where someone pulled away the yellow reflective strip and drilled a hole behind it and then put the strip back. Big time NO NO!

Does anyone here think the geocaching development companies are taking it too far here??

Fake Utility Pole Cache

I've found one like that already. Pure evil, took us forever (and a return visit) to find it. I don't know if the hider purchased the setup or made it themselves, but I thought it was pretty cool.

These I've seen so many we can spot them as we drive up. Cool and less likely a muggle would notice but not as inventive anymore.

Fake Utility Pole Cache

We've found a few like that and a few variations as well. I'm guessing we've found hundreds of caches on utility poles with many variations but VERY few in residential neighborhoods. In south Louisiana Formosan termites are bad and trees and utility poles are sprayed. They drill holes in the post's and tree's, inject chemical, and put a stopper in the hole. There is a utility pole in a public park near my house. I removed the stopper and attached a bison to the bottom and re inserted.....its been there for years and never been muggled. I think these spray holes are local.......I've traveled the U.S. and don't recall seeing them anywhere else.

I like Keystones suggestion of making yours a part on a multi.

Some telephone poles have holes drilled through them completely. If you find one, get a wooden dowel and cut it so it can be inserted and completely flush on both sides, or even a little shorter. Next make a notch in the center of the dowel and attach a small screw with a nano. Finding it would require pushing on one side and removing from the other. Linemen may get annoyed at anything attached to the outside of the pole, such as a poster or bandit sign, and even nails and staples, but something like this would likely never be noticed, or affect them in any way.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Some telephone poles have holes drilled through them completely. If you find one, get a wooden dowel and cut it so it can be inserted and completely flush on both sides, or even a little shorter. Next make a notch in the center of the dowel and attach a small screw with a nano. Finding it would require pushing on one side and removing from the other. Linemen may get annoyed at anything attached to the outside of the pole, such as a poster or bandit sign, and even nails and staples, but something like this would likely never be noticed, or affect them in any way.

Well, only because they never climb poles anymore, so they don't need those holes for their temporary footholds. Or do they?

Fake Utility Pole Cache

We've found a few like that and a few variations as well. I'm guessing we've found hundreds of caches on utility poles with many variations but VERY few in residential neighborhoods. In south Louisiana Formosan termites are bad and trees and utility poles are sprayed. They drill holes in the post's and tree's, inject chemical, and put a stopper in the hole. There is a utility pole in a public park near my house. I removed the stopper and attached a bison to the bottom and re inserted.....its been there for years and never been muggled. I think these spray holes are local.......I've traveled the U.S. and don't recall seeing them anywhere else.

I like Keystones suggestion of making yours a part on a multi.

All I know is the reviewer here in NJ won't publish anybody putting a cache on the infastructure.

Well, only because they never climb poles anymore, so they don't need those holes for their temporary footholds. Or do they?

Those holes are completely drilled through and not used for any type of footing. I believe they are intended as anchors for guy lines. Usually there are 2 or 3 spaced a few feet apart.

This game really needs to go back into the forest where it came from originally.

+1

Any nice forests near your place? :)

From the OP's trail name I assume they are from Long Island, NY.

So, the opportunies for forest caches are limited, and often require obtaining a permit.

I don't want to appear judgemental, but the title of this thread makes me want to ask if this is an interesting location for a cache.

Aside from the good advice given here on utility pole hides, is there something in this residential neighborhood that is worthy of bringing people to, or is it just a place that you think would be good for a creative hide?

Maybe you could tell us a little more?