Monterra routing issue with CN North America 2014.40

zeus661

On my Monterra I have CM NA 2014.40 installed on an SD card. When I try to route a trip about 100 miles away it takes a direct route and does not follow roads. Routing is set to "Lock on Roads" I installed the map on the SD card from a download from Garmin's site.

If I install the SD card I have in my Montana (CN NA 2012) it works correctly. I purchase this card with maps already installed.

Same thing happens when I view the map through Basecamp and try to create a route. With 2014.40 it is a direct route, with 2012 it will follow the roads.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Mark

Edited by zeus661

Lock on road doesn't really have anything to do with how routing is used. It is a display feature that tells the device to lock on the road instead of drifting a few feet off based on the readings from the satellite. So more of a display issue.

The setting you want under routing is the "Activity" one which has Direct, Auto, Bicycle, tour, etc. Set it for automobile.

Lock on road doesn't really have anything to do with how routing is used. It is a display feature that tells the device to lock on the road instead of drifting a few feet off based on the readings from the satellite. So more of a display issue.

The setting you want under routing is the "Activity" one which has Direct, Auto, Bicycle, tour, etc. Set it for automobile.

The activity setting is and has been set to "Automobile".

Any other thoughts?

Then your results are strange and make me even gladder I didn't do what I was thinking and get the Monterra. Very happy with my Montana.

I am beginning to think it is an error in the map version.

I have that map on y Montana and computer. Want to give me the start and end and I will see what happens.

Rossford, Ohio to Sidney, Ohio.

Map 2014.40 took me down Interstate 75 to exit 99,

West on Main St.,

Turn South on Sidney-Wapak Rd.

Turn East on Meranda rd.

Turn South on Harmon,

Turn on Thompson Schiff.

Then from there it took me off the road straight to the center of Sidney

It should have taken me to Exit 94 then south into Sidney.

It should have taken me to Exit 94 then south into Sidney.

This is the route I get when I plan the trip via BaseCamp with CN North America 2014.40.

I rarely use BaseCamp, so I can't give detailed advice, but the first thing I would do is check the routing options in Edit/Advanced/Route Options/. Make sure "Driving" is selected in the drop-down list, then click "Edit Profile" and see if anything there might be causing this.

--Larry

I checked the above routing in the latest Delorme 2014 Street Atlas version and found corrupted lat/lon coordinate values in one of two or three possible POIs for Rossford,OH routing. This caused the SA2014 to sometimes crash - in a manner that is most unusual for recent SA versions.

Interesting, but probably irrelevant to the Monterra route selection at the destination coordinates of Sidney,OH city center.

Upon further review of the Garmin Monterra data above, it seems that the Monterra may have taken a less than quickest route to the city limits of Sidney, at which point the city naming changed from Thompson-Schiff Rd to Broadway Avenue and then shifted to direct routing from city limits to the city center POI coordinates.

Nah. Garmin wouldn't do that would they? Perhaps this is the result of some sort of Drive and Hike geocaching "feature" gone awry. Might come in handy sometimes. I have a 2014 Nuvi 55 "Essential/Basic" device without lifetime updates due for delivery in a couple of days. I'll check the routing on that device with original 2014 maps to see if anything similar occurs.

Edited by 39_Steps

As I stated in my previous post, when I use BaseCamp to create a route between Rossford and Sidney, it routes me along I-75, exits at Exit 94, and then heads south along local roads to Sidney. You stated that BaseCamp gives you a direct route instead of following roads. Why, I wonder, are you and I getting two different results using the same map in BaseCamp?

Unfortunately, I don't have a Monterra (I have an Oregon 650), so I can't test that aspect.

I do know that, even with exactly the same map, BaseCamp and your GPS unit (any GPS unit) can give you different routes for exactly the same start and destination. The PC software and GPS unit seem to use somewhat different algorithms to calculate routes. I've been bitten by that fact several times.

--Larry

As I stated in my previous post, when I use BaseCamp to create a route between Rossford and Sidney, it routes me along I-75, exits at Exit 94, and then heads south along local roads to Sidney. You stated that BaseCamp gives you a direct route instead of following roads. Why, I wonder, are you and I getting two different results using the same map in BaseCamp?

Unfortunately, I don't have a Monterra (I have an Oregon 650), so I can't test that aspect.

I do know that, even with exactly the same map, BaseCamp and your GPS unit (any GPS unit) can give you different routes for exactly the same start and destination. The PC software and GPS unit seem to use somewhat different algorithms to calculate routes. I've been bitten by that fact several times.

--Larry

Larry, I get about 3 different ways also. Wonder what Garmin would say about this issue?

It turned out that someone slipped the new 2013/2014 Nuvi 56 in the mailbox yesterday, so I spent half a day today trying to figure out how to use a touch screen. Then after planning a trip of my own I managed to create a pair of two point routes from Rossford to Sidney and from Sidney to Rossford. City Center to City Center and back. Noticed no map issues that were not part of this user's learning curve. Good luck.

When one looks at the city limits boundaries (or maybe the zip codes) of both Rossford,OH and Sidney,OH in the more convenient Delorme Street Atlas App, one has to wonder if the urban street vectors are actually loaded and connected in the Monterra. If the street vectors are all present and accounted for, perhaps there is an Activities setting in the Monterra firmware that needs to be changed.

If the street vectors are all present and accounted for, perhaps there is an Activities setting in the Monterra firmware that needs to be changed.

Something similar might also be causing the odd behavior the OP reported experiencing in BaseCamp. This is why I suggested that he look carefully at that software's Route Options.

--Larry