Arrgghhhh, just got my first one

Mudfrog

Not sure why, but i thought maybe we might get lucky and not see this come through in our area. Wishful thinking of course as i just received my first email a few minutes ago.

Log Date: 4/25/2014

That’s one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache.

Not sure why, but i thought maybe we might get lucky and not see this come through in our area. Wishful thinking of course as i just received my first email a few minutes ago.

That’s one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache.

Is that where it's from? I'd always wondered at the "That's one more find for me!" - it just sounds so... strange.

That's one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache.

Is that where it's from? I'd always wondered at the "That's one more find for me!" - it just sounds so... strange.

It reminds me of Neil Armstrong's moon landing quote... "That's one small step for a man...."

That's one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache.

It reminds me of Neil Armstrong's moon landing quote... "That's one small step for a man...."

At least that was an original thought.

"That's one more moon landing for me! Thanks so much for launching this spaceship!"

I feel your pain. My finder found 4 in the area that day. All four had the same log. I'm still contemplating sending them a response.....

Welcome to the hobby of Geocaching. After finding a geocache and signing the log inside, the last part is to tell about your experience of the find with the on-line log. A few words about the location, the condition of the cache, your thoughts about the container, etc. are what cache owners are interested in hearing. Cachers comments in the logs are the only 'payment' that cache owners receive for placing a cache. Many cache owners find the default log from the telephone app to be an insufficient reply to the effort put in to hiding caches for others to find. The Geocaching website has a vast array of helpful information in ite Knowledge Base and Help Center. There is also a Discussion Forum where questions are answered by other helpful cachers. Again, welcome to the hobby of Geocaching.

What do you think?

I feel your pain. My finder found 4 in the area that day. All four had the same log. I'm still contemplating sending them a response.....

Welcome to the hobby of Geocaching. After finding a geocache and signing the log inside, the last part is to tell about your experience of the find with the on-line log. A few words about the location, the condition of the cache, your thoughts about the container, etc. are what cache owners are interested in hearing. Cachers comments in the logs are the only 'payment' that cache owners receive for placing a cache. Many cache owners find the default log from the telephone app to be an insufficient reply to the effort put in to hiding caches for others to find. The Geocaching website has a vast array of helpful information in ite Knowledge Base and Help Center. There is also a Discussion Forum where questions are answered by other helpful cachers. Again, welcome to the hobby of Geocaching.

What do you think?

That's nice, but they probably don't have an email address.

Gotta say, if some of these folks are treated kindly and welcomed to the clan, they might become friends and some of the best hiders in your area. We were all new once. Telling someone that what they've done is "insufficient" isn't gonna make any new friends. Just sayin...

We'd love to welcome them to the clan, but therein lies the problem. They're using the Intro app and therefore usually haven't ever actually visited the site or provided an email address. So they can't be contacted. It's been happening a lot lately.

Gotta say, if some of these folks are treated kindly and welcomed to the clan, they might become friends and some of the best hiders in your area. We were all new once. Telling someone that what they've done is "insufficient" isn't gonna make any new friends. Just sayin...

I consider the proposed reply by K13 to be instructional and appropriate. I think the word "insufficient" is the epitome of restraint in this circumstance.

If you aren't in favor of this version, you REALLY wouldn't have liked my first 7 drafts of this message. dry.gif

Thanks Michaelcycle for your supportive comment, I put a lot of thought into the message, and haven't sent it yet. I am, in the immortal words of Meatloaf, I'm going to "sleep on it, I'll give you an answer in the morning". :)

I'd add what is in it for the finders as well. It is a journal entry where they (or their friends) might go back and read about their experiences some day. I'd put less emphasis on the "payment" aspect. I'd prefer to make it fun for people to write a good log, instead of making it an obligation.

I'd add what is in it for the finders as well. It is a journal entry where they (or their friends) might go back and read about their experiences some day. I'd put less emphasis on the "payment" aspect. I'd prefer to make it fun for people to write a good log, instead of making it an obligation.

Good thought that I hadn't yet considered. I will work on adding that aspect to the message, and 'give you an answer in the morning'. :)

I agree. I'm certainly not trying to say that the finder of my cache is a bad person or insufficient in some way.

The intro app is the culprit here and imo, needs to be changed. One thing i dislike is that it doesn't require a person to validate an email address. There may be a reason that i would like to contact an intro app user but i don't believe there is a way to do it at this time. We can't reach out with a hi and welcome, or to offer help, a suggestion, etc,,,.

I don't expect much from the folks using the intro app. They're trying it out and seeing if they like to geocache; why would they know the details of the hobby? Imagine golfing for the first time alone just to see if you enjoyed it--I bet you'd tick off most of the regulars around you. There's so much to figure out, I think writing decent logs comes way behind knowing what to do with a trackable and how to re-hide a cache. But there's only so much Groundspeak or anyone can shove at newbies right at the start without being completely overwhelming (seriously, please tell them what to do with trackables). Besides, if they've only found one or two caches, they don't have a basis of comparison on what makes a great caching experience--they could find the best, most creative cache ever and have no idea what work went into it. If that newbie happens to stick with it, though, I think they'll get there eventually.

I've seen a few of them on my caches. I must be in the minority, but I don't mind those logs. They found a cache, they're happy. They found one of mine, I'm happy. Win-win. :)

I tend to agree. I do not place my caches with the expectation of getting any particular log, but in the hope that I might bring people to locations that I enjoyed. If they go there, I am happy. Still, if they seem to understand what I was tring to convey and write about that, I am even happier.

Although the wording that the intro app uses is unfortunate (to put it kindly), the fault is with Groundspeak. I wonder more about experienced cachers who cut and paste logs, sometimes only describing how many they found that day, than I do with people using a default message in an intro app. Similarly, I love photos but if I look at what someone has posted and see that it is only a picture of a log, it is more disappointing to me than a default message.

If I were a new cacher and someone told me that a log was insufficient, I would probably resolve never to go to an event where I might meet them. If I felt like I had to say something to improve a person's caching experience, it would be my hope that the default log does not define the game for them - it's more than getting one more smiley. But given the amount of caches that seem to be there for the numbers, I can hardly fault someone for using the words that Groundspeak has chosen.

Edited by geodarts

If you aren't in favor of this version, you REALLY wouldn't have liked my first 7 drafts of this message. dry.gif

Thanks Michaelcycle for your supportive comment, I put a lot of thought into the message, and haven't sent it yet. I am, in the immortal words of Meatloaf, I'm going to "sleep on it, I'll give you an answer in the morning". :)

Did you sleep well? What wording did you dream up?

I wonder if the new cacher can even see what the default response is or do they just hit 'found it'.

IMO if a new cacher isn't told to check the rules or that this response or TFTC is not appreciated, they will never know. I'm all for passing on information.

I've seen a few of them on my caches. I must be in the minority, but I don't mind those logs. They found a cache, they're happy. They found one of mine, I'm happy. Win-win. :)

I tend to agree. I do not place my caches with the expectation of getting any particular log, but in the hope that I might bring people to locations that I enjoyed. If they go there, I am happy. Still, if they seem to understand what I was tring to convey and write about that, I am even happier.

Although the wording that the intro app uses is unfortunate (to put it kindly), the fault is with Groundspeak. I wonder more about experienced cachers who cut and paste logs, sometimes only describing how many they found that day, than I do with people using a default message in an intro app. Similarly, I love photos but if I look at what someone has posted and see that it is only a picture of a log, it is more disappointing to me than a default message.

If I were a new cacher and someone told me that a log was insufficient, I would probably resolve never to go to an event where I might meet them. If I felt like I had to say something to improve a person's caching experience, it would be my hope that the default log does not define the game for them - it's more than getting one more smiley. But given the amount of caches that seem to be there for the numbers, I can hardly fault someone for using the words that Groundspeak has chosen.

On the intro app,,, i don't think gc.com should have a default find log built into it. This seems to go against one of the oldest and more interesting premises of geocaching. The idea to, and i quote from the website, "log your experience at www.geocaching.com", is no longer encouraged.

I certainly don't expect to see detailed and/or positive/glowing text on every find log that comes through on our caches. If they want to type "tftc" then so be it. At least require the user to type something in themselves.

It's the intro app that can, and does, cause problems. There needs to be more to it than download and go. :(

So, I'm lost. What is this intro app you speak of??? I hid a new cache yesterday and a few hours later got this reply: "That’s one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache.". Is this from this into app?? This was their 4th find.

Another baffling one was on the FTF for that same cache. This was their first find and under their status is says "Not a validated member". Under email it says you can't email them because they haven't validated their email. Is this one simply a case of this truly being a brand spankin' new member who just hasn't clicked on their email link, yet?

So, I'm lost. What is this intro app you speak of??? I hid a new cache yesterday and a few hours later got this reply: "That’s one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache.". Is this from this into app?? This was their 4th find.

Another baffling one was on the FTF for that same cache. This was their first find and under their status is says "Not a validated member". Under email it says you can't email them because they haven't validated their email. Is this one simply a case of this truly being a brand spankin' new member who just hasn't clicked on their email link, yet?

Geocaching Intro App - I give up, the forum keeps changing the "g" in Groundspeak to uppercase, and I can't change it. Here's a shortened URL link.

If they create an account using the app, their account will show up as "Not validated" and last visit to website as "Never".

Edited by Chrysalides

I got one today from "not validated" member, but the comment area was totally blank. :blink: It was simply a "found it" log, but nothing else.

The other 2 caches they found today, they actually made comments.

Maybe mine was their first, and they figured out how to comment after that. I did find it strange that there wasn't any comment at all - not even the default "That's one more find for me!"

So, I'm lost. What is this intro app you speak of??? I hid a new cache yesterday and a few hours later got this reply: "That's one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache.". Is this from this into app??

8880da27-5eed-4749-a139-fb6b250450a4.png

iPhone intro app. I read somewhere that the Android intro app doesn't have this canned message.

Edited by L0ne.R

What do you think?

If it says Not a validated email you have no way to contact them.

Most intro app cachers don't last long.

That's nice, but they probably don't have an email address.

What's the default text for a DNF?

"I couldn't find this Geocache. Maybe I'll have better luck next time!" Or something like that.

Probably "I looked for your cache and could not find it. Since is missing I placed this nice film can where I think your cache should be. That's another smiley for me!"

So what is the conspiracy here? Is it a robot or what? I've seen the same posts my area too (northern NJ).

We're talking about the default logs from the free Intro app. When an Intro app user logs a find, it will automatically log it as:

"That's one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this Geocache!"

Even if it's their first find.....😣

If they log a DNF, the default log is:

"I couldn't find this Geocache. Maybe I'll have better luck next time!"

Of course, the problem we've all been complaining about is that the Intro app user doesn't know that it's customary to write a little about the find yourself. They just click "Found", the app posts the default log (which the new user probably doesn't even realize), and they move on the the next. It's alarming to me the number of new users I see who have never even visited the website....they have several finds but their profile says "Last visit-never". So they never come to the site to learn more about proper logging etiquette, etc.

I've described it this way.....Geocaching is an internet-based game that also has an associated app. The new Intro app users think Geocaching is an app-based game that also has an associated website. To them, Geocaching is a game you play with an app, like Angry Birds, and the website is a nice feature but unnecessary to play the game.

Edited by Chief301

Just make your caches Premium Members Only. Problem solved.

Then he would be an elitist. :laughing:

I actually don't see very many of the intro app logs in my area. But when I was on Vacation in Virginia Beach a couple weeks ago, whoa boy, tons of them. And tons of lame two word or less logs (symptom of the smartphone revolution), way more than I see around here. Must be a resort area thing. :)

I am not sure what the fess is all about.

Doesn't bother me, actually. Neither does TFTC logs or empty logs for that matter. I wish they're more verbose, but I save my outrage for cache vandalism. I just found the phrasing to be humorous, and glad that this thread was started to shed light on where it came from.

Have to say, as newbies, we never would have found the site, except that we wanted to edit a log, and stumbled in. We never would have come back, except we wanted to view a bigger map area than the iphone would allow. After that, we have been frequent online visitors, and only use the app in the field. We happen to have followed most of the guidelines by commonsense, and by following the examples left by others. Mostly, it was dumb luck though.

The missing link here is a prompt toward website/app integration. How hard is that?

Looks like the app interface changed today, maybe they upgraded the intro as well?

Edited by cheetahspots