GPSMAP 64ST

hirtle

I'm now regretting not getting a 62 when they came out...what a learning curve! Sheesh

Those who have a 64, have you been able to find how to:

1. Customize it to show your found geocaches on the map page

2. Change the icons for waypoints, caches, etc?

I'm on my second one which locks up on the compass screen, so I just disabled that page....seems to be a known issue.

Thanks for any intel.

I'm now regretting not getting a 62 when they came out...what a learning curve! Sheesh

I'm on my second one which locks up on the compass screen, so I just disabled that page....seems to be a known issue.

Thanks for any intel.

1. on the map, hit the menu key -> select geocache filter -> status -> checkmark the found option -> hit the back key -> select "Apply Filter" -- note that this also makes the found caches show up when you view the list of nearby caches from the geocaches page (main menu -> geocaches).

Thanks for any intel.

Sorry but glad to hear someone else is having the same lock up issue... I lost my 650 a month ago in the desert around Barstow. Heading off to Europe I wanted to use something new in addition to taking my 62, (always have a backup unit, especially on a trip like that) The 64 kept locking up with the only way to clear was by removing the battery. Was hoping upon return there would be an update/fix, but could find no mention of anything.

Unloaded all caches from unit, and yesterday loaded ones for CITO event area, and it kept doing the same, not all the time, but about 20%. Woule reset, go back and it would work fine. I had somewhat same kind of issues with the 62 when it first came out, however bug fixes corrected those issues.

I guess that is the bane of being towards the first on the block to make the purchase.

Could not find out much for help. Surprised no good form on items around the 64, and posted on the garmin forum, only to be told to come here for support.

Received answer back from Garmin today making it official.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

This is an issue with the GPSMAP 64 series devices currently. We are aware of it and our engineers are working to fix it. There will be a software update released soon that will address this issue.

So following above advice and just turning that item off until the fix comes out. Should not be to too long and i don't mind waiting.

Hello all, I got my 64s about 3 weeks ago and found the fault where it locks on the compass screen within minutes of turning it on. It only happens in the geocaching profile when you have the compass in the quick menu. I reported mine and at the time they hadn't heard of the fault. They sent me the incorrect unit back ( standard 64) and upon testing it also had the same fault. I did a firmware and software update and it fixed the 64.

Currently the 64 is on its way back to them and im hoping I get the correct unit back to see if it has been fully rectified on all models.

For those that want to see if they have a similiar fault try:

putting it in geocaching profile.

select a geocache and click navigate to it.

press PAGE to enter quick menu then view geocache and read description

Press PAGE again to re-enter the quick menu and scroll to compass.

Mine would lock as soon as i got to the compass without actually entering the compass screen.

hope this helps

edit: (I was able to also get the fault in other profiles if i manually put the geocaching option in a custom quick menu)

Edited by Team Whizzle

Hello all, I got my 64s about 3 weeks ago and found the fault where it locks on the compass screen within minutes of turning it on. It only happens in the geocaching profile when you have the compass in the quick menu. I reported mine and at the time they hadn't heard of the fault. They sent me the incorrect unit back ( standard 64) and upon testing it also had the same fault. I did a firmware and software update and it fixed the 64.

Currently the 64 is on its way back to them and im hoping I get the correct unit back to see if it has been fully rectified on all models.

Mine would lock as soon as i got to the compass without actually entering the compass screen.

hope this helps

edit: (I was able to also get the fault in other profiles if i manually put the geocaching option in a custom quick menu)

I do as well, so waiting, yet waiting for the fix to come along. I disabled the compass in the quick menu until it does. Currently running ver 2.6

Edited by Mystery Ink

I do as well, so waiting, yet waiting for the fix to come along. I disabled the compass in the quick menu until it does. Currently running ver 2.6

Glad to find this thread. I've run into the same issue, but with the added likelihood (2 out of 4 times) of the system not recognizing any geocaches. When I got home from today's outing, I plugged it into the computer to look around on the file system: the GGZ file is still present on the internal drive as are the six separate POI files GSAK generates, so I assume there's some intermediate lock file that's being munged.

Still awaiting Garmin to post out my new unit, although after reading the last couple of posts im doubtful they have released the software fix yet. Its a shame as apart from that the features and unit in general is very good.

Today's response:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I am sorry but unfortunately there has not yet been an update released for the GPSMAPst to correct this issue. The date for this release has not been announced so I do not know when it will be available we are working to have this corrected. I apologize for the inconvenience.

With Best Regards,

Robert 6970

Customer Care - Outdoor Team

Garmin International

913-397-8200

800-800-1020

913-440-8280 (Fax) Att: Robert 6970

Well after nearly a month of waiting, endless phone calls, being sent the wrong unit etc.. I finally received my new replacement 64S....

Error is still there after all updates and just realised they have sent a unit without the preloaded Topo maps...

Come on Garmin get your act together! feels like im hitting my head against a wall over and over again.

A month to just send a new replacement unit, how hard can a like for like swap be?

as you may guess, im not amused

I have a question for the 64 owners out there.

I bought the Garmin 24k maps as well as City Navigator when I first got my 62s. I quickly realized that it is impossible to use both maps at the same time because of City Navigator being on its own SD card (the topos came on a CD).

So I actually had to get CN from an alternative source just so I could have it along with topos on the unit at the same time.

This fix won't work on the 64 because of the mmap verification stuff they've added.

So I am wondering if it is possible to get a legit copy of CN from a CD and stick it on the SD card along with the legit Topos from CD?

I require both map sets on the unit at once. Is it possible with a 64?

I don't have a 64, so I can't try it yet. I'm asking these questions to find out if a 64 will meet my needs before making a purchase.

I'm not sure if the Topo maps will fit in internal storage or not, but even that still wouldn't meet my needs perfectly. Another problem I have with CN being stuck on the SD card by itself is I liked being able to keep my Geocaches on the SD card so if there is ever a problem, I can pull the card reboot the unit and go on about my business.

I don't understand how Garmin handles their maps anyway, I can take the Topo DVD and install as much or as little of it as I want to internal or SD Card. Is CN not available with that same level of freedom? If not, why isn't it?

I'd repay for the maps no problems if they can be used how I currently use them on my 62s