Garmin NiMh vs regular NiMh

The Garmin rechargeables are a bit overpriced for the performance they provide. I instead use my regular rechargeables and cut out a small square of thin plastic that I place in the battery compartment under the batteries. This depresses the black rubberized button that sits in the compartment under the batteries and tells the unit to charge the batteries when plugged into a power source.

The Garmin rechargeables are a bit overpriced for the performance they provide. I instead use my regular rechargeables and cut out a small square of thin plastic that I place in the battery compartment under the batteries. This depresses the black rubberized button that sits in the compartment under the batteries and tells the unit to charge the batteries when plugged into a power source.

Thanks, I'll keep that it mind. How thick of a piece?

For those of you with a an Oregon 600, has anyone tried the Garmin NiMh battery pack? Besides for being able to charge in the unit, any advantage? Can you use regular NiMh batteries in it and be able to charge them in the unit?

I used the Garmin rechargeables for the first several months after I purchased my Oregon 650. I also own a Garmin car cable, and it was really convenient to be able to recharge the batteries every time I got back into the car after a cache run. The down side was that the batteries aren't really that great compared with most others on the market, and on days when I was away from the car I wasn't impressed with their run time.

I'm currently using Eneloop rechargeables and recharge them at home. I haven't (yet) tried the plastic-plate trick.

--Larry