Virtual Cache Etiquette

Greenback

I'm hoping to hear what everyone thinks about creating and maintaining virtual caches.

First, if you ask for specific information which can only be identified by going to the posted coordinates, should you accept someones find when they provide totally incorrect information? Would you accept a description of the general vicinity?

Second, I've seen lots of virtuals where you could read them and go find them without a GPS. Should virtual caches have a twist to prevent someone who doesn't have a GPSr from simply posting that they found it because it's obvious where the virtual site is?

I appreciate any and all comments, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Greenback:

I'm hoping to hear what everyone thinks about creating and maintaining virtual caches.

First, if you ask for specific information which can only be identified by going to the posted coordinates, should you accept someones find when they provide totally incorrect information? Would you accept a description of the general vicinity?

Its a matter of preference. You either allow someone to log based on your specific directions being followed, or by allowing for "intent" being carried far enough to qualify.

For example, the folks that set up a virtual at Devils Tower WY allowed me to log even though I didn't get the positive details they wanted. (I did have lots of pictures I uploaded though) so they were happy to take it. Its up to you if you think someone is trying to snow you when it comes to logging your own cache.

quote:

Second, I've seen lots of virtuals where you could read them and go find them without a GPS. Should virtual caches have a twist to prevent someone who doesn't have a GPSr from simply posting that they found it because it's obvious where the virtual site is?

No one ever said a GPSr is needed to find a cache. I found my first cache using only a map and clues. icon_smile.gif

What you have to decide on is are you asking questions that can only be answered about a site by visiting, or can comeone fake it by looking up things online or in books? If thats what you mean by "Twist" then yes, there should be a requirement that can only be met by being at the site.

Isn't the point of geocaching the "going forth and hunting" ? There will always be a handfull of folks just looking to run up numbers, but for the most part, if someone logs a cache, they will have been there. I would be flexable, and call each case on how it feels to you.

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Greenback:

Its a matter of preference. You either allow someone to log based on your specific directions being followed, or by allowing for "intent" being carried far enough to qualify.

For example, the folks that set up a virtual at Devils Tower WY allowed me to log even though I didn't get the positive details they wanted. (I did have lots of pictures I uploaded though) so they were happy to take it. Its up to you if you think someone is trying to snow you when it comes to logging your own cache.

quote:

No one ever said a GPSr is needed to find a cache. I found my first cache using only a map and clues. icon_smile.gif

What you have to decide on is are you asking questions that can only be answered about a site by visiting, or can comeone fake it by looking up things online or in books? If thats what you mean by "Twist" then yes, there should be a requirement that can only be met by being at the site.

Isn't the point of geocaching the "going forth and hunting" ? There will always be a handfull of folks just looking to run up numbers, but for the most part, if someone logs a cache, they will have been there. I would be flexable, and call each case on how it feels to you.

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

The Photographer's Caches don't require any verifications, but I've got 3 virtuals running right now that require verifications:

Peek-a-boo!

Winds of Fury, Illinois F5

Wow! Look at That! Again!

I'm usually content with having the people e-mail me simultaneously with logging their find (don't wait for a response from me - if you're wrong I'll delete it).

Peek-a-boo! I set up much more on the honor system. Verify your own find, and PLEASE log your pic on the site (it's a webcam virtual). I'm not really enforcing it, but I do say on the page, “Of course, post your picture with the log entry.”

For the remaining two, Winds of Fury, Illinois F5 and Wow! Look at That! Again!, I have never had anyone log the cache without providing the necessary information within a day.

I suppose that if someone were to log it without the info, I'd probably send an e-mail asking them to verify the info via e-mail or I'd be forced to delete their log.

Glad to say it's never come up before. icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

The Photographer's Caches don't require any verifications, but I've got 3 virtuals running right now that require verifications:

Peek-a-boo!

Winds of Fury, Illinois F5

Wow! Look at That! Again!

I'm usually content with having the people e-mail me simultaneously with logging their find (don't wait for a response from me - if you're wrong I'll delete it).

Peek-a-boo! I set up much more on the honor system. Verify your own find, and PLEASE log your pic on the site (it's a webcam virtual). I'm not really enforcing it, but I do say on the page, “Of course, post your picture with the log entry.”

For the remaining two, Winds of Fury, Illinois F5 and Wow! Look at That! Again!, I have never had anyone log the cache without providing the necessary information within a day.

I suppose that if someone were to log it without the info, I'd probably send an e-mail asking them to verify the info via e-mail or I'd be forced to delete their log.

Glad to say it's never come up before. icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, you got my question quite right, and I've been working along those lines.

In my cache Earth From Above I had one person who got half the question right, and I could tell by a follow up email that he had been there. In another I was only given information that could be obtained off the internet so I asked them to provide more information. Instead of providing more information the person removed their find but whined about it. So I wanted to make sure what I was doing was reasonable.

Is Iowa in the midwest? LOL

I'll take everything south of I-80 and east of the Mississippi. It's all deserted farmland anyway.

Welch - you must be annexed first since your state OBVIOUSLY resides in the Great Plains (at least according to Jeremy).

Your comment reminds me of the comedian who said when he travels to the middle east, he wears a shirt that says "Don't shoot me, I'm Canadian, eh?"

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
I'll take everything south of I-80 and east of the Mississippi. It's all deserted farmland anyway.

Markwell, with all due respect, you can't really mean that! After all, you haven't even conquered The Journal yet. How can you speak and think soooo loooowly of a major portion of this fine state, when such a small portion of it (870 acres) has kept folks from the city of &quotwind&quot at bay for the last half year.

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...