Dupage County (IL) Speaking Unfavorably about Geocaching.

SpongeRob

If you are talking about the Forest Preserve, they are very "anti-use", making their facilities very unavailable for most activities.

The Herrick Lake Audio Exchange cache has a good write-up on what they went thru.

I work extensivley with the Boy Scouts in the area and DFP has a reputation of difficult to work with and it results in most activities (Camping, picnics, etc) taking place in Kane.

If you are talking property other then FP, most have found few problems in DuPage as it has a fairly dense GC in the area.

What conference was being refered to?

Baloo - N9SSG

"HAM AND EGGS -- A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig."

I was not exactly sure what conference that's why I was trying to get more information. I'm aware Dupage FP has had issues with cachers before. I was refering to the FPD itself. I only heard that there was something upcoming, nothing specific. Trying to find out more information on it.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

SpongeRob or anyone,

Was there any more info on this yet? I am very curious as a friend of mine is running for mayor of a city that houses or is near many facilities that this would affect.

Want to take an opportunity to put a little pressure on him to put a little pressure on them if he gets in.

Baloo - N9SSG

In this article, Tona Kunz writes

quote:
The Illinois Association of Park Districts plans to hold a forum called "Geocaching: Is your park ready?" at its January conference. The topic was a natural pick because forest preserve officials, also members of the trade association, kept asking to learn more about the game and how to approach it, said spokesman Lynn McClure.

Officials worry about littering and gamers trampling on nesting areas or through fragile vegetation. Liability or bad publicity also can arise if the latitude and longitude coordinates direct people to ravines or tempt gamers to take a shortcut through private property.

Sidebar:

An interesting bit of information in the article about DuPage County's cache Island Refuge:

quote:
DuPage County Forest Preserve officials tracked 300 users at a cache in Fullersburg Woods Forest Preserve in Oak Brook during a two-year period
There are only 71 logs on the cache page, and 66 unique icon_happy.gif logs on the page. Is it really true that only 22% of the people that find a cache log it on the website?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Is it really true that only 22% of the people that find a cache log it on the website?

Probably more for another thread, but I find that there are very few NOT FOUNDS logged, which is unfortunate because many problems hav ebeen quickly identified after one of these.

Having said this however, the number was probably inflated. I also don't see 300 people over 2 years (Less then 1 person a week) as an issue.

I will go and read the article and if the meeting is open to the public in January, will plan to attend.

Baloo - N9SSG

quote:
Originally posted by Baloo&bd:

I also don't see 300 people over 2 years (Less then 1 person a week) as an issue.

Don't mean to be picky, but this would be almost 3 people per week.

300 / (52*2) = 2.88 people/week

Still, as Markwell pointed out, I wonder how they "tracked" these cache finders. Obviously not with online logs. And I have trouble believing only 22% log online.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

Actually meant to say "less then 3" ( (300/730)*7 )

I read both articles mentioned. It had to be something like counting anyone they saw go into the area. About the only way they could have tracked it was to put some sort of counting device which could have been triggered by any number of things.

Unfortunatley, to go to the meeting will cost around $200 bucks, so I'll have to do thru my contacts with the the DFPD and KFPD. Markwell gave me another name and number as well.

Baloo - N9SSG

Sounds like they are inflating the numbers to make it sound like there are a lot more people hunting caches than there are. When I read the physical log book it contained very similar numbers of log entries as what was on the web site. I also have pulled a couple of my cache logs and compared the totals to the web site and found that there are 15% more finds than on the web. I've mentioned this to another cacher who pulled one of his logs and his too was 15% more finds in the log book.

Does anyone else have their log books to compare with?

I didn't read the whole log book when I logged it some time ago, but it is a frequent school field trip destination and logging it simply involves reporting the value of a 'marker' back to the visitors center ... so yeah a bus load could rack up 50 finds in a hurry that would never be on line.